PDA

View Full Version : Verizon cell phones

Tink&Goofy
04-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Dh and I are renewing our Verizon contract, and are looking at new phones. We've not been completely satisfied with the last ones, but lived with them until we could change. We are looking at the mid level phones - not the freebie ones. Any suggestions? Anyone have one they are thrilled with??
DH wants a keypad large enough that he doesn't hit 3 numbers at once. Cameras are nice - but don't need anything real fancy. We don't use texting at this point, but when DD13 (who is hearing impaired) gets a phone next year, this will become important.
What does everyone else have?

iluvdizney2
04-29-2008, 11:35 PM
I had to break down and get the LG NV from verizon because my boys insist on texting me instead of calling. It has worked well and I am very much pleased with the phone itself. The camera is really nice and so is the video.
I got mine on a promotion for 79.00, 3 months ago. I heard they were about same price right now. My boys have the Motorola Krayzer.
my husband has the samsung cheap phone because he tends to drop it, bang it, and sit on it.....so far it has been a good choice for him!
best of luck

tinkerbellybutton
04-29-2008, 11:42 PM
I have an LG VX8300 through Verizon, they don't have it anymore but I think the one that replaced it is the VX8350. It plays MP3s, which is an ok feature, the camera is great for a cell phone but the thing I like best about it is that it's tough. I am accident prone, I have dropped it in the cats water dish, on the tar several times, sat on it, stepped on it and lifted my hand to answer it and ended up tossing it over my shoulder :blush: and the thing just won't die :D

kakn7294
04-30-2008, 12:17 AM
I just got the LG VX8350 in red about 3 weeks ago. I LOVE it! The only thing about it that I don't like is that if the phone is in your pocket or purse, the button can accidentally be depressed long enough to start the MP3 player. However, if you don't have any music loaded or your music is loaded onto a memory card and you remove the card, the buttons don't do anything other than light up the front screen. Our 3 old LG phones lasted for 4 years and were still going strong but we decided to change companies and had to get new phones. My DD's both have Motorola Razr V3m's and I don't like those phones. A bonus with the VX8350 is that you can use Myxer to customize and send ringtones. I can't do that with the Razrs - in fact, I don't think I can get ringtones anywhere except for through Verizon for the Razrs. DD's boyfriend has an LG Envy and likes it as it's great for texting. My cousin has the LG chocolate and is on her 3rd phone in a year - they keep malfunctioning for her. My Mom has a Samsung that was a freebie and she likes it. I suggest going to the store and playing around with the phones to get an idea of what you like. That's what we did.

disneydeb
04-30-2008, 06:31 AM
I definitely recommend an LG. Iam no techno -whiz child but I am happy with the brand. We text in th park to avoid causing distraction if someone is in a show and needs to stay quiet.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

DizneyRox
04-30-2008, 06:32 AM
If you are renewing your contract, it might be worth looking elsewhere. AT&T has been great in terms of customer service, which I can't say about Verizon.

The Motorola phones are turning out to be a big bust. The Razer/Krazer phones have high failure rates, so I would stay away from them. As anti Sony as I am, I did end up getting a Sony Ericcson w580i which is turning out to be pretty good. The capabilities are fantastic and it has a great standby/talk time.

AT&T hasn't locked the phone down too much so I can do pretty much everything I would want to do. Installing themes, downloading/creating ringtones, transferring pictures, etc. All can be done free of charge (they even provide the necessary cables, etc). It doubles as a walkman with outstanding MP3 support and even has an FM tuner if I can't find anything in my playlists to listen to.

I've heard good things about the LG phones too, but I needed something that was compatible with my car, and the LGs weren't there.

Lizzy
04-30-2008, 06:55 AM
I wouldn't renew with Verizon. I switched to them from Cingular a couple years ago and have been very dissatisfied with their service. I can't wait till my contract is up so that I can go back to ATT.

I just lost my phone recently and in order to get my free phone for being with them for 2 years I had to renew my contract. Either that or pay full price for a cheap phone. It was rediculous and I ended up with them for another year.

pogo
04-30-2008, 07:12 AM
I for one did not like my LG phone. It kept dropping calls everywhere. I went with a Samsung and have not had a problem with it.

As far as Verizon vs. ATT (Cingular) goes..... Verizon has the best coverage across the US and for someone that travels, that is important.

Another great thing about Verizon is.... we'll be in so you can call me anytime.... for free ! :D

MauiMouse
04-30-2008, 08:23 AM
I just got the LG VX8350 in red about 3 weeks ago. I LOVE it!

I have the exact same phone and I really like it as well. No problems and no dropped called.

Another great thing about Verizon is.... we'll be in so you can call me anytime.... for free ! :D

Same here! :D

Gooftroop5
04-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Both Dh & I got the LG enV. So far I am really happy with our phone. Got it in January. I got orange & dh got the green. DD thinks its funny when a car drives by that is the same color as my phone. I got it because I wanted the better camera & I got it for $79.99. Dh's was less with his new every 2 credit. I love it and can't imagine how I ever thought I could live without a full keyboard. We text a lot.

I know a lot of people aren't happy with verizon but there are just as many people that aren't happy with the other carriers. We keep verizon because it has the best signal in our area. My BFF has sprint & my inlaws had cingular (now at&t) and they had their own business. One weekend dh helped them & he had a signal on our older verizon phone & their phone said "No service". They finished up their contract & went to verizon. We recently added them to our plan to save them money. We've never had any problems with customer service but then we haven't had any major problems either.

pink
04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
I used to have the pink razor and I went to go get an update on a phone this week and I was going to get the Krazer (a skinnier version of the razor) and she told me that I should go for an LG phone instead. My razor was good (it lasted 4 years) but my parents batteries started to die fairly quickly towards the end of the second year. I just got an LG phone, I'm not sure what number it is but its great so far. It has large speakers on either side of the top of the phone so the speakerphone quality is great. The camera is great also from what I've seen. It's thicker than the razors but basically indestructable according to the woman at the Verizon store. Also, I don't recommend buying a phone online. There was a much bigger variety at the store and there were even more to choose from behind the counter. Good luck! :mickey:

Gooftroop5
05-02-2008, 11:08 AM
I used to have the pink razor and I went to go get an update on a phone this week and I was going to get the Krazer (a skinnier version of the razor) and she told me that I should go for an LG phone instead. My razor was good (it lasted 4 years) but my parents batteries started to die fairly quickly towards the end of the second year. I just got an LG phone, I'm not sure what number it is but its great so far. It has large speakers on either side of the top of the phone so the speakerphone quality is great. The camera is great also from what I've seen. It's thicker than the razors but basically indestructable according to the woman at the Verizon store. Also, I don't recommend buying a phone online. There was a much bigger variety at the store and there were even more to choose from behind the counter. Good luck! :mickey:

The razor & krazer are both known for their poor batteries. Dh had one of the original razors & his battery barely lasted the 2 years. He had to charge it everyday wether he used it or not. That is why we didn't go with them. We looked in the store then went online to get the phone we wanted. We got a better deal & I didn't have to wait for a mail in rebate. It was all instant rebate. I always think its better to get the best deal up front instead of waiting for my money to come back. I agree though the stores have a better selection. It also depends on which store you go to. Sometimes you can get different phones & deals at different stores & I'm talking verizon stores themself not even the ones that are authorized dealers.

biodtl
05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I just got an NV and I really like it. I had a very basic LG and it dropped calls and would freeze up while using the internet, bt the NV does neither - the calles are good and it's faster loading on the internet.

mjaclyn
05-02-2008, 08:15 PM
I had a pink Razr with Verizon the last two years and I really liked it (even though I did have to use the warranty to get it replaced twice because of problems). I love the color and also the fact that it's very slim and can fit in my pocket. I just renewed my contract and was very close to getting the Voyager. I decided against it because i didn't want to pay over $300 for a phone. Plus, it was just too thick and bulky for my taste. I ended up going with the Samsung Alias because I text alot and I really liked the dual flip motion. The only thing I don't like about it is the color. So many new phones are coming out in great colors and I would have liked basically anything other than black.

My sister has the Ice Blue Chocolate which she loves, and my Aunt just bought the enV and she also likes that a lot. I think it depends on what you're looking for. If you text message alot I would go for a phone that has a full keypad like the Alias.

tinksmom02
05-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I just got the LG VX8350 in red about 3 weeks ago.

I just got this phone yesterday LOL I switched from Nextel/Sprint--ugh--and really, really wanted the Razr phone. All the salespeople I talked to (at several stores) said that the Razr isn't a really good phone and will be discontinued soon.

Everyone said the LG LX8350 was a great phone. I don't know anything about the VCast music stuff--like I said, I just got it--but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Course, my last phone was malfuncting practically from the minute I bought it, and my service was Nextel. Need i say anything else? LOL