PDA

View Full Version : Very Dirty Parks

thumperbug
04-29-2008, 07:36 PM
and what I mean by very dirty parks isn't from lack of care and cleaning from CM's but rather the disgusting amount of trash and litter left everywhere by rude and thoughtless guests. My family and I just returned from an 8 day trip 4/18-4/26. The one thing that stands out from this trip is how much trash people left everywhere. In the bushes by Buzzlight Year, on the railings in Soarin...the parks were just digusting. I don't understand how people can be so lazy and disrespectful as to just leave anything anywhere they please without a care. You cannot walk more then 5 feet in any direction in any park without hitting a trash can. It used to be that one of the things that stood out about WDW was how clean the parks are. Now, that is the last thing that comes to mind. I don't want to say that this ruined my trip but it surely upset me. I really wish I caught some of these people in the act so I could say "excuse me, but you left your trash in a spot it doesn't belong".

Come on my fellow Disney lovers...lets try to keep our favorite place clean!!!!!!!

KineGirl
04-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Ive never understood why ppl do that anywhere! Ppl come here to enjoy our pristine beaches only to leave trash all over it. Dont they want their kids kids to enjoy it one day? We have the trashcans but not the CMs to clean up what was left behind.... just us locals. Im glad Disney goes out of their way to have clean parks. Its a shame that it looked so terrible on your visit.

Gator
04-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Sounds like a bunch of Spring-Breakers who just go cause their kids are out of school. Definitely not like anyone on this board. Of course, most of us would never go during Spring Break.

merlinmagic4
04-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Sounds like a bunch of Spring-Breakers who just go cause their kids are out of school. Definitely not like anyone on this board. Of course, most of us would never go during Spring Break.

Some of us have to go during spring break! We go during our spring break because my husband is a teacher and my kids are in school. Sure, I'd love to go during a slower time but it doesn't mean that I don't love Disney. And I don't leave my trash anywhere ;)

I did not notice dirty parks during the week but we only visited DHS for about 7 hours, the P&PP for about 8 hours and Animal Kingdom for about 8 hours so it's hardly a full week of visiting!

garymacd
04-29-2008, 08:22 PM
My favourite :ack: job while working on the beach was cleaning up cigarette butts.

It seems people all over the world - and especially in my park thought the sand of the beach was a perfect ashtray.

Someone bring me a bucket...

A little off topic, but it appears people everywhere are thoughtless about their trash. Wish it weren't true. I remember years ago the big push to stamp out litter. And it worked. For about a year. Now everything is back to normal and no one cares.

Duchess99
04-29-2008, 08:51 PM
I hate litterbugs! No matter where they are, it is absolutely unacceptable! :down: People have no respect for the environment and the planet they call home...it's very sad.

But in WDW it's amazing that people litter as much as they do. WDW must have more garbage cans per capita than anywhere in the world and why people can't use them is beyond me. They are ruining the atmosphere for everyone. People need to stop being lazy and become responsible for their actions :nono: :mad:

#1donaldfan
04-29-2008, 09:22 PM
It's a shame you had to see that.....our last trip we saw some trash about, but it was not too bad with the amount of people there....however that is NO excuse for any minute piece being tossed out, but it happens, we all know that...there are people out there who just don't care, they may not even be litter bugs, but their small child may toss something out, and they are just too lazy to bend over and pick it up.....I can't understand how people can throw things on the ground...it weighs much more "full" than when it's emptied out.....wouldn't that mean it's easier to carry to a trash can and toss it in????:confused:

Guya103
04-29-2008, 09:48 PM
The terrible amount of lingering trash always seems to be something we experience as well. We go every summer and thoughtless individuals have no problem placing their disposables anywhere but the trash can. Heaping piles were made in the Philharmagic and at Buzz. I don't understand what is so hard about throwing away garbage. After every show (no matter which park) the people leave yet the trash manages to stay behind in and under the seating! IMHO people that have little respect for keeping the park clean don't hold it as close to their hearts as those of us that treasure it.

CM's can't possible keep up with the nasty habits of filthy, careless tourists. But we certainly appreciate them trying!:mickey:

DizneyRox
04-30-2008, 07:12 AM
As the prices go up, I think this will continue as well. Unfortunately, the thought will be, if I'm paying this much I'll do what I please! Me, me, me!

Sad...

Ian
04-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Well ...... I mean let's not get too carried away, here. During Spring Break time the parks are filled with young kids who are probably responsible for like 90% of the litter you see.

The other 10 months out of the year, the parks are still pretty darn clean.

Young@Heart
04-30-2008, 08:58 AM
As the prices go up, I think this will continue as well. Unfortunately, the thought will be, if I'm paying this much I'll do what I please! Me, me, me!

Sad...

I really hope this isn't the case. We've never had a problem w/ litter on previous trips-and if I saw anyone littering in WDW, I'd definitely point this out to them. ;)

katzctkpt
04-30-2008, 09:07 AM
I hate litter. Even when my children drop a gum wrapper by accident at Walmart I make them pick it up and throw it away. It's the right thing to do and people should do the same at Disney.

TheMartellFamily
04-30-2008, 09:23 AM
I am the type of person if I see someone litter I will let them know. All I need to say is "did you forget something?" Sometimes I get Oh yeah, others times I get "It wasn't me" at the same time I saw it done right in front of me from them. To let someone know what they did means one less piece of trash in the parks.

Marker
04-30-2008, 09:25 AM
We were there April 8 - 10, and I noticed it too. There was garbage left all over the place. And sometimes within a few feet of a trash can. I found myself throwing stuff away just to get it out of sight.

Though it's not Disney's fault, sadly it does reflect poorly on them.

mudpuppysmom
04-30-2008, 09:31 AM
I try to teach DS that it is not good to leave your trash behind......sometimes it works, sometimes he needs reminding and he will go back and pick up and then locate a trash can, which is Disney is about every three feet.....DH will even say that trash cans are EVERYWHERE you look, so it's no excuse to not put trash where it belongs! I guess we just need to teach our kids (and ourselves) to be accountable for our actions and enforce what we preach.

teambricker04
04-30-2008, 11:18 AM
When we were last at WDW in November, we noticed that MK was grosser than it had been. The bathrooms (the women's generally is clean, I can't speak for the men's rooms!) were just yucky (Mom speak for totally gross and disgusting!). I didn't notice the rest of the parks being dirty like MK, but I did noticed the large amount of cigaretts on the ground all over the place every where.

Luckily we were stopped on day on our way out of MK for a survey and we gave our opinions and then complained about the cigaretts and the bathrooms. I think if it is like this our next trip (NEXT WEEK!!!! HOOORAY!!!!!) I will write a letter after we get back.

Mickey91
04-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Talking about trash, have you guys noticed the amount of it left after Fantasmic?? We are usually some of the last ones to leave as I can't stand to be "caged in" in a crowd. Practicaly every seat has cups, wrappers, pop bottles etc. It is disgusting. I couldn't consciously leave stuff like that.

NewmanFamily6
04-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Maybe we have been really lucky or completely immersed in magic to notice:confused: That really stinks that you had that experience. When I think of WDW I think really clean too.

MissMaryPoppins
04-30-2008, 07:49 PM
At Port Orleans Riverside last week there was a couple sitting behind my family at the food court. They left all of their garbage on the table instead of throwing it out. I can never understand why people do that. They can plainly see everyone else throwing their trash out. Another time we were staying overnight at one of the All-Stars at the same time as a Brazilian tour group. Not only was the group loud and out of control, they also emptied every single ice machine in the building we were in. I'm not sure about the others but when I went to get ice that night it was all over the floor and a group of kids were sitting there laughing. It amazes me how people can be so rude and disrespectful.

Joy

Bohms4
04-30-2008, 07:56 PM
I actually noticed it too when I was there 4/16-4/22. Seems like it got to the point where CM's couldn't even keep up with it. We ate counter service at American Adventure and there was a big group of "twenty-somethings" eating near us from another country (they were speaking a different language). Anyway, I was putting ketchup on my kids hot dogs, etc when I sat back down and turned around, they were all gone and they left ALL of their trash on a group of tables they occupied. I saw people all around shaking their heads in disbelief. I would have pointed it out to them if they were still in the area but they were gone. Maybe they don't have to clean it up in their country??? I'm just trying to give them the benefit of a doubt.
While I was inside getting food at Roaring Forks at WL, my husband saw a guy leave his tray with leftover food on the table where the outside seating is. Now anyone who has eaten there knows that the birds and ducks are relentless so they were completely attacking the tray of food that the guy left for someone else to clean up. People never cease to amaze me! :mad:

Aurora
04-30-2008, 08:07 PM
We were there April 8 - 10, and I noticed it too. There was garbage left all over the place. And sometimes within a few feet of a trash can. I found myself throwing stuff away just to get it out of sight.

Though it's not Disney's fault, sadly it does reflect poorly on them.

Although it may not be Disney's fault, it certainly is the company's responsibility to keep the park clean, including hiring more people to sweep up after guests. I do blame management; I don't buy the argument that people are sloppier than they used to be -- the throngs have always been piggy. My opinion is that Disney has cut back on the hordes of cleaning crews they used to have walking behind practically every guest with a broom and pan.

I'm exaggerating, of course, but it is true that people are more likely to leave garbage if they see garbage left. The cleaner the parks are kept, the cleaner people will keep them. And that starts with a commitment to cleanliness by Disney.

SBETigg
04-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Well ...... I mean let's not get too carried away, here. During Spring Break time the parks are filled with young kids who are probably responsible for like 90% of the litter you see.

The other 10 months out of the year, the parks are still pretty darn clean.

I agree. WDW is still very clean for the most part. But it does break your heart a little to be in line for BTMRR and see cups and wrappers throughout the queue. Or walking from Peter Pan's Flight toward the Haunted Mansion and seeing trash mucking up the waterway on the right side. Or randomly seeing trash scattered here and there. The CMs do a fantastic job keeping up with it all, but what a shame that a few bad apples are too lazy or irresponsible to clean up after themselves.

thejens
05-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Maybe Mary Poppins should admonish guests as they enter the turnstiles not to leave behind their rubbish.

I do agree Disney must take responsibility, but it is a sad reflection upon our culture. I always am appalled in movie theaters how people leave their popcorn and spilled sodas on the floor simply because they can.

Imagineer1981
05-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I think there has been a lax lately in the cleanliness but it is still pretty top notch...compare it to Universal or the dump Six Flags and its like night and day

Jasper
05-01-2008, 05:14 PM
First of all, I would disagree that Disney is not doing as good of a job of keeping the parks clean as they always have.

On the other hand I would also agree that it seems people's attitude towards leaving trash is sliding again. Those of you who are old enough probably remember how bad things got starting about the late 50s and reaching its peak in the mid 70s. Then the government and private groups started a push to educate people about littering and things got better. I particularly remember the television commercial of the Native American in his full battle gear sitting on his horse surveying a trashed up landscape with a single tear running down his cheek! That was a VERY powerful message.

Then somewhere along about the early 90s we seemed to get the idea that we had solved the litter problem in this country and most of those educational programs dried up. The result is that we now have another generation that has been raised thinking that someone else will take care of the trash. Personally, I would love to see some of those programs come back either in their former format or maybe reconstituted for current tastes!

We showed that through a combination of public and private efforts that we could make tremendous inroads on this problem, it is time we do it again! It doesn't require tons of money, it really just takes bringing people's attention to the problem and getting parents and others to set the right example through their actions and the rest of us to speak up and remind people that they are two feet from a trash can and can just as easily put their trash in the container rather than leave it on the table or on the ground.

Belle_0717
05-02-2008, 09:17 AM
I will have to agree with almost everyone.

I have found myself cleaning up other people's messes too - people who leave trash at CS tables especially. I hate that people think they are at DISNEY and that DISNEY is going to clean up after them.

I have had few encounters with such problems. The worst NON-DISNEY park I have been to is Great Escape - a 6 Flags park in Lake George NY. I could even walk through the park without noticing the FILTH!

AM I JUST TOO SPOILED NOW???

JMTStone
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
On our May 2006 trip, we were in the AKL counter service (why can't I remember the name?) and a family left without cleaning up after themselves... the CMs were cleaning elsewhere so I get out my trusty Handi-Wipes and cleaned up. The CM came over seconds after and thanked me so profusely that it embarrassed my DD (who was 14 at the time). But I also think it taught her a lesson. During explaining why I wasn't TRYING to embarass her AGAIN, we talked about her Gramma is also a worker in a counter-service place (far from Disney) and we wouldn't want her treated that way, either.

paragon
05-02-2008, 12:01 PM
I have noticed it as well. On our last trip it appeared to me that there was alot more visible trash laying about. We were there in May, Mothers Day. As the days wore on the trash accumulated everywhere. I specifically noticed it along the walkway next to the McDonalds french fry stand! Maybe the infusion of the corporate food stands have caused people to forget that they are at the happiest place on earth!
Its still unexcusable. I can remember years ago, when I was too young to do so, but back when they allowed smoking in the park, I often saw CM's scurrying along sweeping up every cigarette butt, straw wrapper and fallen leaf as soon as it ht the ground. Is it possible that this is now more visible due to budget cuts? Are there fewer cleanup crews in the parks? I also noticed inside some of the park restaraunt the cleanup staff appeared overwhelmed, one poor guy was scurrying around looking for his broom, which was laying on the floor next to an overflowing trash barrel.
Beyond the trash though, MK is still beautiful to see!

Ayndi
05-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Last I was there, there was gum stuck all over the rocks in Splash. And scraped marks where the CM's had removed gum.

:(

Epcot fan 421
05-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I worked in custodial at Animal Kingdom for the college program. And I saw some people do the most ridiculous things. The most crazy thing we saw normally was people letting their kids use the bathroom right there in front of everyone next to a restroom. The CM's near there would get them to stop and then we would be called to clean it up.

xoHelloKittyox
05-09-2008, 12:51 AM
I haven't been to WDW since '06 so I dont know how it is at the moment, but I do know that when I was there, theres always napkins and cups all over the place. And at lil lunch shacks around the parks theres trash all over the tables and that leads to nasty flys all over the place!

It's gross!
Look people: I understand that you're on vacation, but thats no exception to leave your manners behind. :mad:

crltkcagle
05-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Wow the first thing I noticed when we landed in Florida was how clean the whole place was. Then we arrived at the parks and were amazed at how clean it was with so many people there. I told dh that i wanted to move to Florida just because it was so clean. Of course we are from New Orleans and used to the trash on Bourbon Street and everywhere else. LOL I hope things haven't changed much as far as cleanliness goes.

PeterPan
05-09-2008, 09:57 AM
I have not posted in a long time, but this is one of my pet peeves.

I have always kinda felt like I sort of owned part of the Disney Parks, and I know many of you here feel the same way. When you spend as much time as we do at the parks, it feels like HOME!

Don't many of you feel the same way? The Parks feel like HOME??

With that in mind, I tend to take the litter personally. I mean, no one comes to my house and trashes it. No one ever has yet! When I see trash in the parks, I feel personally offended. It is like a slap in the face, actually. I am thinking, "How DARE them trash my place! How DARE someone blithely thow trash on the ground in MY park and walk away!"

MANY TIMES I CLEAN UP THE TRASH I FIND. Some of you have said the same thing on this post. I wonder how many Intercotters have cleaned up trash you have found at WDW or Disneyland? I think I will start another thread on this subject (it probably has already been covered...what hasnt?)

Also (point #2) they HAVE cut back on Maintenance - including custodians who are hired to do nothing but pick up the loose trash in the parks.

Also (point #3) people are generally less caring than they were, say, 20 years ago. PERIOD! No argument! Manners in general are sliding - you read about it all the time - not as it applies to WDW but as it applies to the WORLD in general. Your local movie theater is FAR trashier now that it was 20 years ago. And that's with all kinds of pleas, reminders, gentle requests, etc.

Points Two and Three make for trashier Disney Parks. Sickening, but true.

xoHelloKittyox
05-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Also (point #2) they HAVE cut back on Maintenance - including custodians who are hired to do nothing but pick up the loose trash in the parks.

Does anyone know WHY they cut back on maintenance??? :confused:
that just seems so silly to me!

&& yeah I agree with you feeling like it's YOUR park
it's always been MY park too :thumbsup: I know the parks like the back of my hand :D

lightyearfan
05-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Although it may not be Disney's fault, it certainly is the company's responsibility to keep the park clean, including hiring more people to sweep up after guests. I do blame management; I don't buy the argument that people are sloppier than they used to be -- the throngs have always been piggy.

well im sorry but i have to disagree here, although WDW is responsible for keeping the park clean , that shouldn't give certain slobs the right to leave trash around , because they feel that Disney should clean it up, what are they our maids??? it's our responsiblity to throw trash away in it's proper place, not just throw it anywhere, these are the same people that go home to a pigsty. also keep in mind that they are trash cans all over the place, so once again it's the irresponsibilty of the slobby guests. here is an example, when waiting for a parade to start lets say at MK Main Street, they are so many guests who eat and drink something as they wait for the parade to start as me and dw do, but here is the difference when we're finished we'll throw our garbage in the trash, while the other guests leave there mess right on the street? thats not inconsiderate, that's just being a slob, espcially when they are sitting on the curb right next to a garbage can.

i feel that its a two way street.

Victor

Aurora
05-09-2008, 04:32 PM
well im sorry but i have to disagree here, although WDW is responsible for keeping the park clean , that shouldn't give certain slobs the right to leave trash around , because they feel that Disney should clean it up, what are they our maids??? it's our responsiblity to throw trash away in it's proper place, not just throw it anywhere, these are the same people that go home to a pigsty. also keep in mind that they are trash cans all over the place, so once again it's the irresponsibilty of the slobby guests.

You're not really disagreeing with me. I didn't say that guests have the RIGHT to throw their trash on the ground, and I certainly don't condone that; I said it was the responsibility of the establishment to keep it clean.

I do disagree that people are sloppier than they used to be. I agree with the earlier poster that people who are older (and I'm over 40) can remember when things were really bad and public information campaigns (plus littering laws) helped people clean up their acts a bit. I'm from an era when sticky floors in restaurants and popcorn coating the floors in theaters were COMMONPLACE. So I don't buy it that the reason the parks are messier is because people are messier. My point is not that people SHOULD be messy or have the right to be, but that they always have been messy and always will be.

I also noticed inside some of the park restaraunt the cleanup staff appeared overwhelmed, one poor guy was scurrying around looking for his broom, which was laying on the floor next to an overflowing trash barrel.

I think this also helps make my point that Disney needs to step up the cleanup. You can expect guests to use the trash bins, but not to empty them.

russk42
05-15-2008, 07:06 AM
Does anyone know WHY they cut back on maintenance??? :confused:
that just seems so silly to me!

Most likely because they think that they can get away with it, and still rake in the $$$: there are plenty of posters on intercot who deplore the trash and disrepair; but I haven't read a post yet from someone who says the trash is so bad that they won't be going back.

DisneyFanaticDargon
05-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Talking about trash, have you guys noticed the amount of it left after Fantasmic?? We are usually some of the last ones to leave as I can't stand to be "caged in" in a crowd. Practicaly every seat has cups, wrappers, pop bottles etc. It is disgusting. I couldn't consciously leave stuff like that.

When I worked at WDW on the College program I picked up a few extra shifts at Fantasmic and let me tell you, even I was appaled by the amount of trash left behind. I had also worked at Lights, Motors, Action and the amount of trash there was MUCH less than Fantasmic. The trash at Fantasmic was so bad we'd have to use a pushbroom to get every row's trash to a staircase between rows to push it into a trash bag. How many trash bags did we fill on a nightly basis? Easily 20 or more.

DisneyBabe
05-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Yes, sometimes the tables at certain rest spots get messy, too. I've never really noticed trast in too many other places, but littering gets annoying anywhere! :mad:

chrisb26
05-17-2008, 12:49 AM
When I was on Space Mtn. last week right before the part where you split into two lines on the ledge there were tons of bottles and garbage all over the place that people just kept putting there it was crazy looked like a garbage dump was kind of sad to see.

teamblackwell
05-17-2008, 01:49 AM
My favourite :ack: job while working on the beach was cleaning up cigarette butts.

Oh man, please don't get me started on cigarette butts. Its gotta be the worst littering violation, in my book. These **** things are smashed on the ground, stuck in the dirt of planters, left half burning on benches. But, of all the parks I've visited(six flags, cedarpoint, bush gardens) Disney CM's do the best job of managing the mess left over by others.