PDA

View Full Version : Strollers for older kids?

PrincessJadesMom
04-29-2008, 06:50 PM
My daughter and I are going to WDW in September. She is 7 years old. We were there last April and she was miserable because her feet hurt from walking. I ended up renting her a stroller at that time and she loved it. Do you think it will be okay to rent her a stroller again at 7 years old?:mickey:

merlinmagic4
04-29-2008, 06:53 PM
If you need to rent a stroller to make the most of your park time you should not hesitate to do so!

Have a great trip!

buzznwoodysmom
04-29-2008, 07:36 PM
If you feel your daughter needs a stroller to make the trip more enjoyable for her then by all means rent one. Who cares how old she is? It always amazes me when I hear people complain about or bash parent's who let their older children ride in a stroller in WDW. When I am in WDW I have better things to worry myself with than other people's "too big" child in a stroller. There are rides to be riden!!

sardanem
04-29-2008, 07:44 PM
When I was at WDW in 2000, my kids were 5 and 8 and I rented a double stroller for them. I am going in Aug of '08 and I will definitley rent one for my 6 year old. Wh cares what anyone else thinks. it is too much walking for a young kid. I wish they made a stroller for me to be pushed around in sometimes.

RockinRollerMom
04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I can't agree more with the previous posts. On my last trip my DD was 7 and I rented her a stroller every day. (she was a big 7 too, looked more like 8 or 9) No-one said a word to me. (I don't think they would have liked the response if they did :)) Do whatever you think is right and whatever it takes to have the best trip ever!

Texas Tinkerbell Too
04-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Yes, I agree 100%. Do what you need to have a good time. We used one for 4 and 8yr old last September when we were there for 9 days. My 8year old didn't ride in it all day, but he used it every now and then, especially if we were in a hurry to get to the opposite side of the park. We will have a stroller again this September, too. We will have a 2yr, 5 and 9year old with us. Trust me they will have plenty of walking :walk: and exercise in the 10 days we will be there.

GO STARS! :hockey: 3-0 vs. SHARKS

playdead88
04-30-2008, 06:05 AM
we have a joovy caboose stoller (big orange) it has a bench seat in the back that i can fit in - which makes parade seating wonderful - we debated on bringing it this year since dd is 7 - better safe than sorry we brought it - i am soooo glad we did!

renting a stroller for your dd is probably gonna be worth every penny - :thumbsup:

scootch713
04-30-2008, 07:42 AM
I am sure you are aware of the HUGE increase in stroller price... but I am in your boat.. my kids were just turned 8 and 5 last trip and they BOTH rode it in a ton... even more importantly when it was super sunny/hot and we were waiting for a show(like HSM)... my 8 year old could be shaded. I am dropping one character meal to pay for it this year, but will definitely ahve a double for my 6 year old!

katzctkpt
04-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Shouldn't be a problem to rent a stroller. We generally start walking about a month before our trip so our legs and feet are used to walking.

Disney Doll
04-30-2008, 12:15 PM
If she needs one rent one, but you might try her without and see how it goes. I always feel like I have so much more freedom when I am sans stroller. Unfortunately we're back to having a stroller for the next few trips since we have a baby. Plus, with the increase in prices you could save quite a bit. I've been with a 4 & 5 yr old and no stroller. It worked just fine. We just take breaks and go at an easy pace. Plus we go in off season when the heat is not there to zap your energy.

elmjimmlm
04-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I rented one for DD a few years ago and her older brothers also rode in it...If she is comfortable to ride then I would...

Mickey91
04-30-2008, 07:00 PM
I would check out the new prices for renting strollers before you decide. They are outrageous!!

Buttercup
04-30-2008, 07:10 PM
As long as you're cool with the new pricing, GO FOR IT! :thumbsup: Why on earth would anyone get their pants in a knot over someone else pushing around a 7-year old in a stroller?!?!

As a fellow park-goer, I'd RATHER see a family pushing around an older kid in a stroller than a poor kid crying and being cranky from sore feet!
Do it! You'll have a great trip!

DouieDan
05-02-2008, 12:06 PM
I am probably repeating everything stated earlier, but I think it is ok. We are going in September with our 6 year old, who used the stroller on past trips (2006 and 2007) as a taxi. He would wait at the ride to be picked up by the stroller to go on to the next attraction. He had a map of the parks and it actually looked like he was giving us directions on where to go. Pretty funny. We have decided to use a stroller this year as well to avoid the "my feet hurt" conversations. More power to you.

momof3+twins
05-02-2008, 01:50 PM
You could try it without one and see how it works. If she gets tired you could get one then. My 7 year old is already saying it isn't fair that his 5 year old brother and the 2 year old twins get to ride in a stroller. And we aren't leaving for several months. He says it is too much walking and he going to get tired. But, he is walking! I already have 3 in stollers, that is enough.

animalkingdomguy
05-02-2008, 03:08 PM
As a DD I have long hated dragging a stroller on and off the buses. My DW wants to pack a stroller for our 6 yo DS. True WDW is a real work out. As a full-time desk jockey and evening couch potato I'm probably in poor shape to handle the rigors of our trip. It has been my opinion that my kids have more energy and stamina than their tired old dad.

Stitchahula
05-03-2008, 11:01 AM
I say go for the stroller. I think that having a happy kid instead of one that's sore tired and cranky is worth it. Plus you noe have a place to keep your stuff.

Gooftroop5
05-03-2008, 12:51 PM
I have to thank you for this post. Not that I need one for an older one but it made me rethink about not taking a stroller for my 4&5 yo (they will be that age when we go). We really figured we wouldn't but they are still little. Instead of listening to them whine how they are tired we are going to look for a new stroller with the seat on the back. Dh also thinks its a great idea too.

Once again thank you. Why ruin your time with a child complaining. Personally I can't justify the price of rental when I can buy what I want for the same price & use it other times. We did a similar thing when we went with dd. We bought a new smaller stroller because it was cheaper.(she's 9 now & we used it for both of our dses)

In your case I would rent as needed. If you find she is getting miserable then go rent one. Otherwise don't tie yourself to a stroller. She might surprise you.

Have a fun trip. :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Depending on her size, why not just think about bringing an umbrella stroller.
If she's tired and wants to ride, who cares what others think or say?

brertosh
05-03-2008, 05:32 PM
All great advice! We are going on our first trip to the world in June and have two kids(8 and 5). We own a double stroller and were planning on bringing it with. Is it a huge hassle taking it on and off the buses? Would it just be easier to rent one? thanks

JMTStone
05-03-2008, 06:05 PM
I love the Disney Strollers, although I have never had an occasion to use a double (DDs are 9 years apart). Its nice that you leave it at the park and get on the bus (but DH usually ends up carrying the little one to the bus late at night). They are expensive though. If you find yourself needing it on day one, think about going for the multi-day so you can save some money.

RockinRollerMom
05-03-2008, 09:15 PM
It would be much much easier to rent one. Folding a double up for the buses and monorail is a big pain. However, renting one is very expensive. If cost is an issue, I say go ahead and bring one. It will be much less of a hassle than not having one at all. Good Luck!

DmoDisney
05-05-2008, 01:10 PM
We just got back from WDW and we rented a double stroller for the week for DD7 and DS4. No regrets. Yes, the price increase hurt, but both my wife and I agreed that we were glad we made the investment. Kids remained fresh and the strollers were easy to push and navigate with and were very sturdy. I know my DD7 could have walked the whole time we were there but we probably would have had more meltdowns than we did with the stroller! The 4 year old never would have made it...