PDA

View Full Version : History Lost - a sad day

Flower
04-29-2008, 04:43 PM
I live in a fairly small town (32,000 people), we are about to celebrate the 150th birthday this summer!

Today, a fire swept thru downtown and several old/historical buildings were destroyed. Fortunately, nobody was injured, but so much was lost & destroyed - ironically the fire started in a building which housed a photo studio/shop.

It is just so sad to see it gone. :cry:

PirateLover
04-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Oh no! I love historical buildings... I've actually protested the tearing down of some in the past. What a sad story. Do they know the cause? I hope it wasn't arson, that would make me really :mad:
:pixie:, I hope they can recover some things.

Jasper
04-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Thank goodness no one was hurt. And let's hope the building owners can rebuild in some type of reasonable fashion. Unfortunately older buildings like those in so many small towns across America are not really insured for what it would cost to rebuild them. That means the building owners often take what little insurance money they get and go off and do something else. This leaves the tenants and the entire downtown with big holes that are often times the death knell for those kind of small towns!

Flower
04-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Thank goodness no one was hurt. And let's hope the building owners can rebuild in some type of reasonable fashion. Unfortunately older buildings like those in so many small towns across America are not really insured for what it would cost to rebuild them. That means the building owners often take what little insurance money they get and go off and do something else. This leaves the tenants and the entire downtown with big holes that are often times the death knell for those kind of small towns!

Our town is slated to receive a Walmart over the next few months, I think we went about 3 years holding them off, but everything has recently been approved and construction is underway. I think a lot of our little ma & pa shops are 'doomed' and the fire I am sure has not helped the downtown any.

From reports last night it sounds like 4 buildings are damaged/destroyed, which not only includes shops, but apartments too.

This weekend is supposed to be a community festival where they shut the town down and hold sidewalk sales,jazz festival, buskers, etc. It will definitely have a gloomy feel about it.

katzctkpt
04-30-2008, 03:24 PM
We too had a fire back at the end of Feb that destroyed a physicians office and a childrens clothing store that had been in business for 60+ years. Both businesses had apts over the top and the tenants lost all their belongings too. The physician is mine and has been my physician since I was 7 so, all my medical records along with my childrens are gone. :(
the clothing store I remember my mom shopping for our school clothing and easter outfits there. It's just sad and to beat all it was arson and they supposedly know who it is just haven't made any arrest yet.:mad: