PDA

View Full Version : Coral Reef for someone who doesn't like seafood?

Disneyatic
04-29-2008, 02:40 PM
I really want to try Coral Reef on our upcoming trip but DH is not a seafood lover.
How is their steak? He likes steak but is a simple guy and doesn't like it when they put sauce and stuff on it.
On the menu it says that the steak is served with a beef demi-glace. What exactly is that and could he request to have it left off?

I would appreciate any opinions or info so that I can try to sell him on this restaurant!

DisneyMama18
04-29-2008, 03:08 PM
You should be fine at the Coral Reef. I hate, absolutely hate any kid of seafood. We were there in June 2007 and have ADR's for October trip coming up. I had the steak, it was delicious. I do not like anything funky on my steak either, but the sauce was very good. I just thought it was some kind of steak sauce. They also had a some pastas and chicken dishes on their menu too. Enjoy!:mickey:

ibrowse17
04-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Agreed. I am not a huge seafood eater as well, but very much enjoyed my meal here. The view was excellent, and steak was pretty good as well.:thumbsup:

TheMartellFamily
04-29-2008, 03:26 PM
In our group we have most that do not like seafood. We looked at the menu and saw that they had choices other than seafood so we made our ressies for here. We are quite excited of trying this and it will be a meal that everyone hopefully will enjoy. We have not been here before this will be our first time but the way the menu looks it will be for everyone.

ThunderChunky21
04-29-2008, 03:32 PM
My father in law is not a seafood fan but loves the Coral Reef. He always orders the steak and gets the sauce on the side and they get it right every time.:mickey:

MsMin
04-29-2008, 06:08 PM
a demi glace is usually a clear sauce, sometimes a reduction of the steak's own natural juices with a thickening agent like corn starch, sometimes they put a little wine in it for flavor or other taste enhancing flavors. Many of us got steak there last time... My dd thought it was one of the better ones she had on site!

Natazu
04-29-2008, 10:27 PM
The steak is pretty good and the pork chops are really good. There aren't many appetizers that aren't seafood, but the Chocolate Wave is worth a trip on its own.

beef demi-glaze = gravy
They'll make any modifications to sauces and sides you wish.

limegreenmonorail
04-30-2008, 03:08 AM
I had the chicken when I was there, and it was good. I don't mind seafood, but it creeped me out that the fish were swimming by watching me eat fish. I could have been eating their cousin, for all I know! Fish are friends, not food. ;)

tys_mommy
04-30-2008, 08:39 AM
You can special order your meals anyway you want. We were just there on Friday and no one in my family eats seafood or higher society meals (lol) but DS9 wanted to eat there though b/c of the tank. We ordered the chicken with just normal mashed potatoes and both hubby and I were very satisfied with our meals.

castlelady36
04-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Only DH enjoys seafood but like stated the chicken and steak is very good. And of course the kids menu has the usual so no worries....

yjgirl715
04-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Last year in Disney we went there and took two of the pickest eaters (myself who doesn't even like pizza & a friend who is almost as picky) and I loved their pork chops plus I also am not found of different sauces. I can't wait to go back to this place- it was very cool. So soothing to watch the fish and turtle swim by. I would highly recommend this place to any non-seafood eater. Good Luck!

TheDuckRocks
04-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Half of our group had seafood, but those of us who ordered steak were the winners. The steaks were the best I've ever had at Disney. I'm sure that's all going to change this coming Dec. when we do the Deluxe DDP and go to the 2 credit TS places.

katzctkpt
04-30-2008, 10:27 AM
This is on our list to try this yr. We all love seafood and steak. Can't wait to try it.

Gator
04-30-2008, 03:45 PM
If he hates it, there are sooooo many great places to eat at Epcot. I suggest going elsewhere.

ltam16
05-01-2008, 09:37 AM
No one in my family eats seafood except me. We have been once for dinner and once for lunch. Everyone loved what they got and loved being able to watch the fish/aquarium. They were all disappointed not to go back our past trip. My kids got pasta or chicken and my dh had steak. And I enjoyed my seafood!! The desserts are very good as well. The 2nd time we went we had ddp and we didn't even get dessert because we were so stuffed!

KAT1811
05-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Sounds like it is a go for a non seafood lover. What's the worst that can happen? You do not like it, DH grabs a Mickey bar and calls it dinner! LOL!

lightyearfan
05-01-2008, 11:00 AM
no need to worry, there is plenty that you can order thats not seafood, i'm alergic and i can't eat anykind of shellfish, and i was able to get a nice chicken dish. this way you can still enjoy the atmosphere there, it's like eating in a huge fish tank:D

Enjoy,

Victor

Funcruiser56
05-01-2008, 02:21 PM
For a long time we never tried CR, when we needed to change an ADR we called dining and they had an opening for CR so we went for it.
Now none of my family except me eat seafood.
We had a very good steak, my DShad chicken.
We were all very happy with our meals and with the service. We also really loved watching the fish/divers.
We went again last June for our anniversary Lunch and enjoyed some delish pork chops.

The servers were very accomodating when DS and DH asked for no sauce or we wanted rice instead of potatoes- everything was 'no problem'.
We already have CR on our list for December.

Bev