PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge... moving to Orlando

Donalds#1fan
04-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Ok, after much debate and thought a couple who are friends of ours and my DW and me are thinking of selling most of what we own and moving to Florida to be closer, and possibly work at the house of mouse. It's a big step, and I won't hesitate to say I am scared, but excited too.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on here has any information they would like to share with me about working for WDW. I already know the pay is just above minimum wage. I know that as a full time employee I can expect to work 8 hour days 6 days a week. I just want to know what it is like working and being at disney day in and day out. Something to calm my nervousness and fears I guess.

Thanks!

NJGIRL
04-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Good Luck with your move. :mickey:
I know we wouldn't be able to move to FL and work at Disney. Our life style just can't afford it. I know that living in NJ is very costly but we also have some of the highest rates of pay in the country. Our life would be totally different if we did that at this point and I really don't think I would be able to handle that.

pdrlkr
04-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Follow your heart! I'm not sure that I would want to live there because getting to plan a trip to Disney and the anticipation of it coming up is so wonderful. If I lived there and especially worked there, I wouldn't get to do that anymore. Would it not be as special if it was your every day life? Now on a more positive note. You could go on vacation to Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, or one of the other parks! So good luck. I'm sure whatever you decide it will work out for you.

Piglet822
04-30-2008, 06:19 PM
I want to wish you good luck in your move - we also made a decision such as yours to move to Florida. Not necessarily for Disney, we weren't even planning on getting involved with the tourism industry but that's the work is so that's where we both ended up.
Your expectations of the pay are correct so you'll not be surprised in that respect. That's where a lot of folks make their mistake, I think. Coming down to the same type of job they had elsewhere and when they find out the rate of pay it's culture shock :faint:
For example, I drive a charter bus for the largest ground transportation company in Central Florida. I make $9.35 hour plus gratuities. When I drove commuter coach in NJ I was making close to $15 an hour, that was 15 years ago. I think the rate of pay there now is closer to $20/hr if not more.
I worked for Disney itself for a short period of time and I did enjoy the time I spent on the job, interacting with guests and helping to make some of the magic. I only did this two days a week so I wasn't really there long enough to get tired of it.
My current job brings me to Disney quite often and I've had the opportunity to see the majority of the backstage areas and had the chance to see how some things operate and it hasn't ruined the magic for me one bit. I think it makes me appreciate even more what the CM's do everyday for the guests.
I'm sorry this is so long :blush:
Please keep us updated on your move.