PDA

View Full Version : cell phone use rant

DisneyAddict62
04-29-2008, 09:58 AM
As pizzaria owners, we constantly have customers coming in the door on their cell phones, pointing to the slices they want (the women clicking their long manicured nails on the glass), I could just scream!) and me having to get their order and ring them up without them ever speaking a word to me! I find this extremely rude! Lately when someone is on their phone, I don't make a big effort to run to the counter to wait on them. I did tell one guy I didn't want to interupt his call! He gave me instant attitude!

I'd love to put a sign up about finishing their call before their transaction, but can't find the right words. Anyone have any suggestions?

medic9016
04-29-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree 100% with you. I have been to 911 calls and the patient is on the cell phone not with my dispatcher. They have already hung up on the 911 dispatcher. If they are breathing and not bleeding or in real distress I just wait and write it down on my run report. They also want to use the cell phone while enroute to the hospital, while I'm trying to help them.
I would not have a problem seeing a sign, that says you will not be served while on the cell phone.
I also hate when you are on a ride like POTC and some one in the same boat is on the phone.:mad: Can you hear me? Yes I can hear you, I'm sitting right in front of you. Wait till you get of the ride.

drummerboy
04-29-2008, 11:02 AM
"You have entered a 'no phone zone'. Thank you for hanging up."

NotaGeek
04-29-2008, 11:42 AM
How about: "NO CELL PHONES"

I have seen that sign millions of times on small businesses, and big restaurants and even on specific "quiet" train cars.

It's not offensive, this is 2008, people are used to that. AND ... next time you have someone with long nails clicking on your pizza display, ignore them. They will get the hint.

Ian
04-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Huh ... I guess maybe I'll take the opposite side of this ...

Whether you like it or not, cell phones have become an integral part of our lives. Yes, I know ... 30 years ago we didn't have them and we did just fine ... but guess what? We didn't have computers 30 years ago and we can't live without them today, either.

My job is very flexible and I tend to work from home at least one day a week ... sometimes more. It's great because I get to spend time with my kids and there are many, many times when I'll take them to the mall or to the park or out to eat during the day. But there are also times when I have to be on a conference call during that time and yes ... I walk around with my Bluetooth headset in. I would prefer not to have to do this, but I have no choice. It's my job.

So I guess maybe consider the situation. I'm sure some of the folks are engaged in frivolous conversations, but some may be on legit business calls. Some could be people like real estate agents or sales people that are on the phone almost constantly. Refusing to serve them might be a tad harsh.

Remember they are your customers. Do you really have so much business that you want to turn people away and lose them?

SBETigg
04-29-2008, 11:54 AM
It depends on how big an issue you want to make it. This is your business. It relies on customers. Your customers rely on being able to grab and go, possibly while still conducting other business. I agree it's rude, but multitasking has become a way of life.

If you ran a sit-down business(maybe you do) and the customers on the phone bothered other customers, it would be worth making an issue of it. But is it worth alienating the customers who come in and do this? Decide that before putting up any signs. No matter how nicely you word it, or how cutely, there are people who will be put off by it. It may be more worth it to just be aggravated at rude people and rant to friends or coworkers to let off steam later. It depends on how much this is affecting your business and how much it affects you personally.

(oh my gosh, Ian- I didn't see your response until I posted mine! We agree. Wow. :) )

NotaGeek
04-29-2008, 12:12 PM
We are talking about the 2 minutes it takes to order a slice. That "but it's MY JOB and it's important" attitude is what is frustrating. If it's SO important, surely getting in line and ordering food in a restaurant can't be more important than a business call?

I am on the phone or the internet ALL day at work, I get/respond to emails and field business calls from my PDA all day and night. I can however take 2 minutes from my busy schedule to order lunch without being so rude as to talk on my phone while I do it. But, then again, I do tend to respect the fact of human interaction, and that the person behind the counter is providing me a service, but they are not MY servant.

Marker
04-29-2008, 12:19 PM
OMG!! The planets must be alligned, places are freezing over, it's a blue moon, the universe it out of whack..... but Ian, Sherry, and I are all in agreement on something. Mark this one down in the Intercot history books.

It is the development of technologies such as cell phones that allow a lot of people to have much more mobility while they are working. This mobility allows folks to be home with their kids families more while still working, allows them to be out at parks while still working, and also allows them to take care of personal stuff, including grabbing lunch, while still working. To restrict them from this activities would again tie them to their desk, and thus keep them at an office away from kids and family, away from parks, and away from doing personal stuff like grabbing lunch. Take the phone out of their hand, and your are potentially taking the customer away from your store.

Is it rude, perhaps? Or is it just annoying because it's not what we would do. Is it really a matter of being "wrong" aka rude, or more a matter of just being different.

Perhaps tolerance plays as much in this scenario as rudeness.

Just my opinion.

SBETigg
04-29-2008, 12:22 PM
We are talking about the 2 minutes it takes to order a slice. That "but it's MY JOB and it's important" attitude is what is frustrating. If it's SO important, surely getting in line and ordering food in a restaurant can't be more important that an business call?

I am on the phone or the internet ALL day at work, I get/respond to emails and field business calls from my PDA all day and night. I can however take 2 minutes from my busy schedule to order lunch without being so rude as to talk on my phone while I do it. But, then again, I do tend to respect the fact of human interaction, and that the person behind the counter is providing me a service, but they are not MY servant.

I completely agree with you, Michael. But the fact is when you run a business that depends on customers, you can't always expect them to see it your way and act accordingly. So even though it is extremely rude for people to stay on their phones and still expect service, people do this and those same people may resent being asked to get off their phones, which could result in lost business.

Ian
04-29-2008, 12:26 PM
The answer to the 2 minute question is ... not always ...

When I can, I certainly do. But sometimes I may have 2 solid hours worth of conference calls to be dialed in to over lunch time. I can't just hang up, order, and get back on.

Not everyone's job is the same. Some people could definitely defer making calls for the few minutes it takes to order a slice of pizza and some can't.

Jeff G
04-29-2008, 12:44 PM
As a small business owner that values every customer I say take the orders and don't turn away the business. I know their actions are rude but the customer is always right. If you offend just one customer that is at least one more you have to advertise to replace(most likely more if they bring in business with them in the future and they aren't talking bad about your policy) .

Dulcee
04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
:mad:I work at an aquarium in the summer and we became so frustrated with people attempting to purchase tickets while on their cell phones someone made a small sign in front of the register that says, "We will be more than happy to assist you when you've finished your phone call." :thumbsup: Surprisingly, it worked.

I can't blame you, its frustrating and demeaning to have someone chat away during a phone call and brush you off as if you should just know what they need.

NotaGeek
04-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Not everyone's job is the same. Some people could definitely defer making calls for the few minutes it takes to order a slice of pizza and some can't.

I guess you are correct. Some people are far more important than others. :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
04-29-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't think it matters whether you are on a business call or personal call, when you get in line to order anything or pay at the register by not speaking with the customer service person it is rude and impolite. IF and that is a big IF your call is that important then I think you should finish it outside or you could always tell the person you are on the phone with "excuse me, could you hold for one moment" then, turn your attention to the person waiting on you.
How long does it take to say
"excuse me, could you hold for a moment"
then
"hello, I'd like 2 slices of cheese pizza and a diet coke please."
I just think there is soooo little common curtesy in the world right now and saying that you are tied to your phone and can't interact with the general public is a cop out IMO.
I would not want to "risk" guessing what it is the customer is pointing at and getting it wrong, they might be too busy to talk with you but they wouldn't be too busy to sue you for poisoning them with the wrong order.

Disney Doll
04-29-2008, 01:42 PM
My job is very flexible and I tend to work from home at least one day a week ... sometimes more. It's great because I get to spend time with my kids and there are many, many times when I'll take them to the mall or to the park or out to eat during the day. But there are also times when I have to be on a conference call during that time and yes ... I walk around with my Bluetooth headset in. I would prefer not to have to do this, but I have no choice. It's my job.

So if you are on a 2 hour conference call while taking your kids to the mall do you not speak to your children for the entire 2 hour period?

It is rude to be on your phone while trying to communicate with someone else, no two ways about it. I like crazypoohbear's solution. Just say excuse me and take your phone away from your ear for 10 seconds so that you can order your lunch. No one's job is that important.

Ian
04-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I guess you are correct. Some people are far more important than others. :thumbsup:Why do you equate being on the phone with being important? I never said I was important. I said the calls were important.

So if you are on a 2 hour conference call while taking your kids to the mall do you not speak to your children for the entire 2 hour period?Well first off, I wouldn't be out with my kids necessarily for the entire 2 hours. But when I am out with them, no. I speak to them. Often my conference calls don't require me to contribute much ... mostly just listen in and be available. In fact, my phone is often on mute, so when I order food I don't have to point and gesture (which I agree is rude). I just order normally. The people behind the counter most likely don't even realize I'm on a call.

I'll be quite honest. The whole "cell phones are rude" thing is totally lost on me. If I walk up to the counter chatting with my wife while I order, is that rude? If not, then why is the phone different?

Anyway, if your business doesn't want to serve me when I'm on the phone, that's totally fine by me. There are 100 other pizzerias around that will. It's your business ... you decide who you will and will not serve (that's capitalism at work). I was just offering a different viewpoint that seems to be largely unappreciated by most folks, so I'll bow out now.

I have a conference call to join anyway. :D

LauraF
04-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Let me put a different spin on it.

I work in a business which lives by the conference call. Work gets out every Friday at 1:30 pm, but I often have a call that goes past 2pm. What do I do? I get out the headset, and drive home while on the call. It sure beats sitting under flourescent lights for another hour. :D

Yes, I've stopped to order food from a drive-through before WHILE on the phone. I have a mute button and know how and when to use it. I mute the call so nobody hears me order, and if someone asks me a direct question, I unmute for a second say "excuse me one moment." I find it's an excellent compromise. I have never yet missed an important topic. Most of my team understands - we're all in the same boat.

Sure the phone calls may be seen as optional. But so is keeping my job.

Nascfan
04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
I'll be quite honest. The whole "cell phones are rude" thing is totally lost on me. If I walk up to the counter chatting with my wife while I order, is that rude?

Yes, it is. If you continue to talk to your wife, or anyone, while you order and do so by gesturing to what you want, that is rude. You (general you, not you specifically) can take a moment from just about any conversation by saying "excuse me for just a moment please" and give the person you are ordering from your attention for the approximately 30 seconds it would take to order, then go back to your conversation. That's my opinion on it, and by the looks of it, crazypoohbear's opinion also. Didn't mean to single you out Ian, but you posed a question that I think puts it in perspective.
It's all about common courtesy, with or without a cell phone. Give the person you're talking to your attention for that moment in time. That's where I stand on the issue.

DisneyAddict, Ian is absolutely right later in his post. It is your business and you have the right to refuse service. It's a choice for you to make. Freedom, what makes this country great! If you'd like an idea for a sign: "In order to better serve you, please finish phone conversations before approaching the counter. Thank you."

DisneyDog
04-29-2008, 03:08 PM
I'll put even a different spin on this. I work in a public library. We are (traditionally) supposed to be a quiet environment. Except now we have cell phone ringers going off constantly. Everything from the generic ringer, to the occasional rock ballad. Then, people answer the phone and have loud, drawn out conversations. People are here trying to study.

I definitely think there is an etiquette to using a cell phone. I think it's fine to use a phone walking through a mall. I think it's rude to be on the phone when someone in a store/restaurant is helping you. If I happen to receive a phone call when someone is helping me, I always apologize or ask the caller to hold on for a minute. It is rude to gesture. I won't allow my 5 year old to point to something at the kitchen table and expect to receive it. I make him ask for it politely. I expect the same from adults.

As a librarian, I consider myself to be an expert in customer service. I also believe in the golden rule. Therefore, I always treat sales people the way I would want to be treated by my library patrons.

Marker
04-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Sounds to me like a topic that will never reach a consensus. One person's "extremely rude" is another person's "I don't get it". There is no definitive definition.

Presuming the necessity of someone's phone call is in my mind reckless. There's no way we can really know the necessity, intent, or reason behind someone else's phone call.

I certainly wouldn't dare say that no phone call, or job is "that important". If I were in that situation, where my job depended on me being on the phone at that particular time, I'd choose to keep my job over saying "Hi" while ordering pizza.

Common Sense or Common Courtesy, they don't exist. To say they are rare, means they are not "common".

I also don't think it's really fair to say NO job, NO person, NO phone call is that important. Wouldn't the flip side to that be that I'm more important and any Job, Person, or phone call you may be making?

For me, I'll go back to the tolerance. Of things in the world to consider a problem, this would be rather low on my list.

But that's just my opinion, and it's likely wrong.

NotaGeek
04-29-2008, 04:12 PM
For me, I'll go back to the tolerance. Of things in the world to consider a problem, this would be rather low on my list.

Maybe that's because you don't own a pizzeria and have this happen to you daily. The original poster asked in regards to her restaurant, specifically to her life. I stand firm, tolerance doesn't lose way to common courtesy.

crazypoohbear
04-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Can't we all just get along????

Granted it is not a big problem... unless it is happening to you time and again.

Cell phones are a great convieniece... they don't excuse proper behavior though.

why is is okay to ignore a person waiting on you but it is not okay to ask the person on the phone to hold a moment??

What are we teaching our kids, that they can't point and grunt to get what they want "use your words"
but it is okay for us to point and grunt at what we want.

I disagree with Marker in that I still beleive that there is common curtesy, common sense left in the world. IT's just getting harder to see, maybe because everyone is on the phone ;)

Maybe if we lead others will follow! :D
Lets all start today, when someone is waiting on you, stop for a moment and smile say please and thank you. Maybe it will catch on.:mickey:

NotaGeek
04-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Can't we all just get along????

No one is fighting. This is merely discussion. We are all fine.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-29-2008, 04:41 PM
I see no reason as a business owner to be able to put up a polite sign to say something in regards to please end your phone call for a few seconds to order. I see it alot now. Don't know how the sign read word for word but I did not take offense. I do also work from home and the phone is a vital lifeline to me. I schedule my post office visit or meal ordering around my schedule.

Common courtesy has flown out the window. Imagine a small business owner chit chatting on the phone and saying nothing to a customer ordering, ringing them up and just putting their hand out to be paid. I can assume they would not be in business long. Both situations are rude. That is what has happened to this world, everyone considers there business more important than others. My job, my phone call, my life. All respect is gone, and imagine what the world will be like when our children grow up, scary to think.

Believe me, I know cell phones has become a necessary evil but a little commen courtesy or some self sacrafice is not unheard of.

Emily
04-29-2008, 04:43 PM

True enough, except I fail to see where comments like this:

I guess you are correct. Some people are far more important than others. :thumbsup:

... are productive or relevant to the conversation. :confused:

NotaGeek
04-29-2008, 05:13 PM
True enough, except I fail to see where comments like this:

... are productive or relevant to the conversation. :confused:

Hmmm. I didn't think that we had the relevance filter turned on. That was a joke.

If you would like to discuss the relevance of my comments, feel free to PM me. I don't think that our conversation has been derailed, it's been fairly on target. Clearly there are differing points of view, but that doesn't give anyone the right to assume their point of view is correct.

Disney Doll
04-29-2008, 06:00 PM
I also don't think it's really fair to say NO job, NO person, NO phone call is that important. Wouldn't the flip side to that be that I'm more important and any Job, Person, or phone call you may be making?

I truly cannot think of any reason why someone couldn't take a few seconds out of their phone conversation to politely place a lunch order without pointing and gesturing. Yes in the grand scheme of things this is low on the list, but I fail to see how anyone can preach tolerance without acknowledging the need for respect and manners.

When I used to work retail I hated it when someone in line to check out would stand there on the phone while I was trying to help them. Do I interrupt them? Do I wait as they clog up the line? Usually I just took the next person in line while they finished their conversation and most people were fine with that.

Ed
04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Okay, here's my :twocents: .

My job requires me to carry a cell phone issued by my employer, and I also carry my personal one. I refer to them as my "electronic leashes".

If I get tied up on an 'important' call on either phone, I skip my lunch. Period. End of problem.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but there is no way I'd try to make any kind of purchase or order a meal while I'm on the phone. I was raised to address people who are waiting on me politely, and always using those words we try to impress on our kids - - "Please" and "Thank You". I simply refuse to resort to hand gestures or nods of my head. If nothing else, if she was still among us, I know my mom would slap me in the head if I did that.

And I have no intention of changing now. :nono:

It's simply called common courtesy. Which, regrettably, is not so common any more. :(

Jeff
04-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Common Sense or Common Courtesy, they don't exist. To say they are rare, means they are not "common".

Well said Marker.

I'll be quite honest. The whole "cell phones are rude" thing is totally lost on me.

I agree.

offwego
04-29-2008, 07:40 PM
I have to tell you this is one of the reasons I love self scanners, pre order machines etc..that way if I'm on my phone the scanning thing could care less. (seriously I use them at the grocery store all the time so that I don't have to hang up!)

While I don't think I've ever done the point and grunt I know I have taken a call in line many a time and will likely do so again. The call is how I make money to pay for the stuff so it's likely I'll answer it instead of ignoring it. However I normally do apologize to the other person. The weirdest one was at a flower store where my phone rang 6 times in like 10 minutes. It was beyond bizzare but all of them were work or important family calls as it was close to Christmas. The florist was fine with it as she had to input each order anyway and at least then I wasn't standing there waiting on her..and the fact that they were nice about it meant serious additional business for them in the next few months. (I send flowers for work all the time and they got all my business after that..for being nice about the phone! at least 500 per month)

crazypoohbear
04-29-2008, 09:58 PM

Hmmm. I didn't think that we had the relevance filter turned on. That was a joke.

If you would like to discuss the relevance of my comments, feel free to PM me. I don't think that our conversation has been derailed, it's been fairly on target. Clearly there are differing points of view, but that doesn't give anyone the right to assume their point of view is correct.

Just wanted to clarify... I was joking as well.!

Dakota Rose
04-29-2008, 10:45 PM
When we had our retail shop, we had customers do this several times. I figured if someone wanted to buy a $150 set of depression glass while talking to their sister on the cell, it wasn't my duty to stop 'em. It's not like the transaction was a life-or-death situation. But that's just me.

Once I was in a department store when I got an unexpected call from a supplier. Being that they were in another country and 10 hours ahead, I took the call. I was browsing, not in line or anything. The nearby clerk made a snide comment to another customer right in front of me. That was the last time I shopped in that store.

One thing I've learned from being self-employed (both of my parents were as well) is that if you start making rules for your customers, you need to be willing to lose their business.

DisneyAddict62
04-30-2008, 10:13 AM
I came home last night after being on my feet 12 hours to find the replies to my post. I was just way too tired to respond.

Just to clarify:
1. I never said I was going to "refuse" to wait on anyone. But, if I am busy making someone else's order, and you come in on the phone, I'll tell you I'll be right with you and finish what I am doing. Maybe you'll be done with your call by then. The "nail clickers" are usually those buying a $1.35 slice of cheese pizza. Yes, we have plenty of customers, with our dining area for 40 filled to capacity at lunchtime. They are sometimes lined to the door for pick ups. That $1.35 isn't going to make or break us!
2. I would bet big money that the majority of the people that come in on their phones are NOT on business calls. Usually our business professionals, do apologize if they are on the phone, or wait off to the side and finish their call first, before coming to the counter.
3. I agree with Dulcee, that is it frustrating and demeaning to have someone chatting away while I am trying to help them. Our phone could be ringing away, but if I have a customer in front of me, I wait on them first. I don't take phone calls while I am waiting on a customer, or making their food.
4. I am assuming that those of you that think this behavior should just be tolerated, have never been on the other side of that counter. This is something that happens day in and day out, several times a day. I am sensing both an "it's only pizza" and an "I'm paying YOU, so you should just put up with it" attitude.
5. I never said cell phone are rude. I have one, I use it. I just don't use it while ordering or paying for merchandise, when I am being waited on.

If I could post a sign and get away with it, it could contain this:
1. You will be waited on after you finish your call, I've been raised not to interrupt people when they are talking.
2. If you call and ask our specials, and I tell you them, don't ask if there is anything else. If there was, I'd have told you!
3. Don't call on the phone and ask if we are hiring. If you are that lazy, you're too lazy to work here, especially with minimum wage going up again in July. And, when filling out an application, and it asks for qualifications, don't say "I like pizza."
4. Don't try to get something for nothing. Don't call on Monday and say you had gotten a burnt pizza on Sunday, we're not open! (This happens!)
5. Your order is made-to-order. Don't say "that long!" when I tell you it will be 15 minutes. Would you like it cooked?
6. Extra toppings cost more money. When we get it for free, we'll give it to you free.
7. Please don't ask me if those slices that I JUST put in the display, or the pepperoni rolls are fresh. Gee, no, they have been laying back there for a couple days, we just thought we could get rid of them.
8. Don't get an attitude when I tell you we are out of pepperoni rolls for the day. I can't go pluck some off the pepperoni roll tree we have growing out back.
9. Don't ask me how many people a pizza will feed. Does your family eat one slice a piece or 3, I don't know.
10. Please don't ask for donations for your local events if you are from another town. Please go ask the businesses in YOUR town.
11. Please try to have your order together BEFORE you call. I don't really have the time to listen to you while you ask everyone what they want.
12. Please don't call at 11:30 and want 25 pizzas for your meeting at 12:00. It isn't going to happen. Good luck finding another place that could. You didn't know about this meeting earlier this morning, or even yesterday?! You are not the only order we have.
AND, last but not least -
13. Please don't talk down to us like we are the lowly fast food workers. We don't just work here, we own the place. My husband is in there every day at 6:30 AM making dough from scratch, often working 15-16 hour days. I put in 8-12 depending the kids' activities. We are on our feet all day. When you need a delivery at 11:15, we will be there at 11:15. This is our livelihood, we do everything we can to make sure your order is correct , fresh, hot and delicious. The stress level during lunchtime is through the roof. And what time did you get out of bed today?

I'm sure there are more, I just can't of them right now.

Rant over.

(NotaGeek, thanks for the support!:mickey:)

PirateLover
04-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Wow, people have very strong, hard line opinions on this. I'm kind of a middle of the road person. Do I think it's rude to be on the phone while ordering and not say a word to the person helping you? Yes. But I also think it's rude to hang around and not wait on a customer until they are off of their phone. I've been in the middle of convos with people before, and sometimes I'll talk to them until the person comes to help me, then I'll put the convo on hold, smile and give my order, and pick the convo back up while I'm waiting for my food.

If this is really a huge issue for you (and I think that it is) I think it would be OK to make a sign that had a cell phone with a line through it and said "Please complete your call before you order. Thank you!" Business people can mute for two seconds to order and then return to the convo.

As for your other complaints...those are all things that range from slightly inconsiderate to rude to just plain stupid (on the part of the customer). But, honestly, I think that we all could come up with lists like that with every job. I realize the need to vent, heck we all come on here and do it all the time. But you have one of the most intense customer service jobs there are and unfortunately most people are never going to change. Just look at it this way though, at least you are you own boss and you don't have to deal with the customers AND management.

I could tell you hundreds of stories from my fiance' who works as a butcher at a major grocery store... like the people who make him re cut meat after he just put fresh cuts on display, then change their mind about buying... or management not wanting them to have a radio on in the back when they have to come in, sometimes alone, 2 hrs before the store even opens to prep food. But I digress.

The bottom line is, I think that as human beings we are naturally selfish. Chalk it up to original sin, survival of the fittest, whatever... The problem most of the time is that many people just don't think about other people. It's disheartening but true.

Ian
04-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but there is no way I'd try to make any kind of purchase or order a meal while I'm on the phone. I was raised to address people who are waiting on me politely, and always using those words we try to impress on our kids - - "Please" and "Thank You". I simply refuse to resort to hand gestures or nods of my head. If nothing else, if she was still among us, I know my mom would slap me in the head if I did that.Okay, Ed's post made me really feel the need to make sure I'm clear on my comments. I know, I know ... I said I was out of this post, but I'm pretty sure people have the wrong impression of what I was trying to say.

I would NEVER try to order food (or anything else, for that matter) without talking to the person assisting me. I think I said this before, but if I'm at a point in the call where I can't put it on mute I will wait to get in any lines.

I think the worst thing I may have done is browsed in like a clothing store and gone up to the checkout to pay without muting the line. Even then I say hello and thank you to the clerk ringing up my sale.

I want to state this very clearly (why do I feel like Barack Obama here? ;) ) ... I totally agree that it's very rude to try and order by pointing and gesturing and grunting and I would never do that myself.

I have to tell you this is one of the reasons I love self scanners, pre order machines etc..that way if I'm on my phone the scanning thing could care less. (seriously I use them at the grocery store all the time so that I don't have to hang up!):ditto:

This is the best solution for me, as well.

Marker
04-30-2008, 12:23 PM
If I could post a sign and get away with it, it could contain this:
1. You will be waited on after you finish your call, I've been raised not to interrupt people when they are talking.
2. If you call and ask our specials, and I tell you them, don't ask if there is anything else. If there was, I'd have told you!
3. Don't call on the phone and ask if we are hiring. If you are that lazy, you're too lazy to work here, especially with minimum wage going up again in July. And, when filling out an application, and it asks for qualifications, don't say "I like pizza."
4. Don't try to get something for nothing. Don't call on Monday and say you had gotten a burnt pizza on Sunday, we're not open! (This happens!)
5. Your order is made-to-order. Don't say "that long!" when I tell you it will be 15 minutes. Would you like it cooked?
6. Extra toppings cost more money. When we get it for free, we'll give it to you free.
7. Please don't ask me if those slices that I JUST put in the display, or the pepperoni rolls are fresh. Gee, no, they have been laying back there for a couple days, we just thought we could get rid of them.
8. Don't get an attitude when I tell you we are out of pepperoni rolls for the day. I can't go pluck some off the pepperoni roll tree we have growing out back.
9. Don't ask me how many people a pizza will feed. Does your family eat one slice a piece or 3, I don't know.
10. Please don't ask for donations for your local events if you are from another town. Please go ask the businesses in YOUR town.
11. Please try to have your order together BEFORE you call. I don't really have the time to listen to you while you ask everyone what they want.
12. Please don't call at 11:30 and want 25 pizzas for your meeting at 12:00. It isn't going to happen. Good luck finding another place that could. You didn't know about this meeting earlier this morning, or even yesterday?! You are not the only order we have.
AND, last but not least -
13. Please don't talk down to us like we are the lowly fast food workers. We don't just work here, we own the place. My husband is in there every day at 6:30 AM making dough from scratch, often working 15-16 hour days. I put in 8-12 depending the kids' activities. We are on our feet all day. When you need a delivery at 11:15, we will be there at 11:15. This is our livelihood, we do everything we can to make sure your order is correct , fresh, hot and delicious. The stress level during lunchtime is through the roof. And what time did you get out of bed today?

Given the list of rules, I can't help but have a certain Seinfeld episode brought to mind, but instead of "soup", in my mind I'm hearing "NO PIZZA FOR YOU!!". :bolt:

tinkwest
04-30-2008, 01:17 PM
In response to your original question, DisneyAddict62 . . .
I'd love to put a sign up about finishing their call before their transaction, but can't find the right words. Anyone have any suggestions? . . . I don't know if putting up a sign would help the situation. My guess, the people who think they can place an order without paying you the slightest bit of attention will also not pay any attention to the sign.

Having a customer on a cell phone while placing an order with me does not bother me much as long as they can give me their attention at the same time or pull themselves away from the phone for the few minutes that it takes to order. BUT when they completely ignore me and the questions I need answered to complete their order to their specifications (for example: what type of salad dressing, what size of drink, etc.) or if I can't tell if they are talking to me or the person on the other end of their phone call (resulting in an inaccurate order) I begin to care just a bit less about their satisfaction. Their actions are annoying and disrespectful, IMO.

Some people are just going to be what I consider rude no matter what. So even though I would like to put up a sign that says "Am I on my cell phone while taking your order? Please offer the same courtesy." I grin, bear it, and release my frustration by complaining about it to my fellow employees after the customer has left.

Tiggerlovr9000
04-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Here is another spin on this. I work a 10 hour shift with no scheduled breaks. There is no one to cover for me if I take lunch,etc.So I have to do it when I can. I sometimes wait on customers while I am on the phone with my children. I'm a bartender so its not like its life or death. But I still feel guilty when I do it, but I also feel guilty if I don't answer the call when I am too
busy. Luckily my employer totally has no problem with me talking to my children on the cell phone.

joonyer
04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Fortunately, I work in a courtroom, (I get to sit on the bench) and we have a rule (and a large SIGN) that says NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED. Yet, you'd be surprised at the number of people who still try take a phone into the courtroom, telling the bailiff, "But I am expecting an important call". The bailiffs just tell them "Well you have a choice, you can attend your hearing or you can wait outside for your call, but you cannot take the phone into the courtroom. It's your choice, but the Judge is not going to wait on you". I realize that the courtroom is a unique place (not like a restaurant) but the fact that many in our society don't see anything wrong with trying to bring a cell phone into a court hearing is an indication of where our culture's obsession with political correctness, including worshipping at the altar of "tolerance" of all things has brought us.

I would applaud any restaurant owner who put up a sign saying "please turn your cell phone off while ordering". I, for one, would go out of my way to patronize an establishment that establishes any rules of common courtesy or decorum, including limiting the the use of cell phones, so they would gain me as a customer. (and I carry a cell phone). One local restaurant where I eat regularly prohibits cell phone conversations altogether while dining, and it is not a fancy place. I've no doubt that some people do not eat there because of this restriction, but it has no shortage of customers; it is packed every day at lunch time.

ncscgirl2005
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
I personally do not talk on the phone when someone is waiting on me. If I am on the phone when I get in line, I make sure my voice is low so as to not bother other people, and I always either hang up (usually the case) or put the person on hold when it's my turn in line. If someone calls (usually family or friends since I don't get work calls on my cell) I will not answer until I am done with my transaction.

I started reading this thread right before lunch but didn't finish all of the posts. So it was very ironic when I went to Subway and actually witnessed this going down.There was a young man in front of me chatting away on his cell phone (the same young man who was on his cell phone when he cut me off in the parking lot and never even seen me). When it was his turn to order he told them what he wanted all while still carrying on a conversation (:confused:) on the phone. The girl behind the counter was confused because at times she could not tell if he was talking to her or not. And then the unthinkable happend....she put onions on his sandwich and boy did he get upset! But he still didn't end his call!!! And I can tell you that it was not a business call....unless of course he's a magazine editor or a nightclub reviewer and writes reviews on the latest nightclub and how bad the parking was at club such and such last night, and how packed it was for a Tuesday night, and what time the club ended, and what time he got home this morning yada yada yada....(yes we heard every bit of the convo). Anyhoo, after it was all said and done....he walked out of Subway...still on the phone.

katzctkpt
04-30-2008, 03:16 PM
"You have entered a 'no phone zone'. Thank you for hanging up."

How about: "NO CELL PHONES"

Please end your cell phone conversation before placing an order.

crazypoohbear
04-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Reading Jooyner's post I was reminded that there is a local pub that charges $1.00 if your cell phone goes off in the place. They then donate this money to a local charity every month.
The idea is that no one wants to hear private conversations or phones ringing during the time you are there. It's suppose to be a break from everything.
IF you are expecting an important call, put your phone on vibrate and then LEAVE the common area to take the call, hang up and rejoin the party at the pub!

Jeff G
04-30-2008, 05:16 PM
There are definatley two sides on this topic.

I grew up in sales not matter how rude this is perceived I find it equally rude for a business owner to take an attitude towards a patron. Many businesses work years to build a client base by catering to their everywhim. In my humble opinion these people are an inconvienicne becasue that don't act in a way you perceive as proper(and I agree with you on that) but they are not harming other patrons or business. To post signs or cop an attitude because of this could be perceived as poor service and goes against everything I've been taught in business. Why would you want to risk a single sale? Isn't it every business owners dream to have more business than they can keep up with. Like their behavior or not if this was my businsess I would smile and treat these people politely and welcome their business.

Would I walk into a restauraunt and point towards food so I didn't have to hang up the phone? No. Is it rude? Yes. If my business catered to a lunch group who tends do do this would I put a policy in place if there was a slight chance I would alienate any of those people? No, even if all they order is a cheese pizza. If a $1.30 pizza doesn't make enough why serve it?

You asked for an opinion, hopefully you can respect both sides.

drummerboy
04-30-2008, 06:02 PM
There are definatley two sides on this topic.
And a third side--the other customers. A business owner has to think about the loss of customers who would rather avoid the rudeness of some cell phone users. I tend to avoid some businesses because of the behavior of other customers.

The old saw about 'the customer is always right' was really one person's opinion and is not absolute. To be a bit ridiculous, if a customer wants to come in every day to order and wear no clothes, is that customer right? As customer-service oriented at Disney is, it has its limits to customer 'rightness'.

Any business has a right to set limits on when customer behavior is unacceptable, while at the same time having to weigh when those limits will turn away too many customers.

BrerGnat
04-30-2008, 11:38 PM
I agree with the people who said that those who think this is "no big deal" have never worked in customer service/retail/restaurant industry.

My first job was in fast food, and the second major one (3 years) during college was in retail. Not only is it rude to talk on a cell phone while someone is ringing you up/taking your order, it is extremely demeaning to the employee helping you. Talk about being made to feel like you are nothing.

I have never, ever entered a checkout line of any sort, or engaged in a face to face exchange with a customer service/restaurant employee with my phone to my ear. If I get a call, no matter WHO it is, I tell them "I'm about to order/checkout, I'll call you back when I am outside". I have always done this, out of respect for that person helping me.

Heck, my DH is in Iraq right now. He calls my cell phone when he can't reach me at home, and if I am in any way engaged with someone (which is very often, as I have a child who attends several therapy sessions each week, plus I do all my errands during the hours he normally calls), I either don't answer the phone (knowing that it's him) or tell him that I have to go, because I need to interact with someone. When I finally talk to him, I'll tell him that I didn't answer because I was in the checkout line of the supermarket, or whatever. He totally understands too. And certainly, considering our situation, his call could be classified as "important". But, I have a hard and fast rule about cell phones and customer service interactions. They do not mix, in my opinion. It burns me when I see people chatting away (NOT on business calls) while a clerk silently rings up their order, and then they leave without so much as making eye contact. I honestly hurt inside for that employee. It is a horrible feeling.

To the OP: you have every right to feel upset about this. I would too. It is certainly within your rights to make a sign. If your business is very good and you have a good reputation in your community, I don't think it would negatively impact your business any. Your "true" customers will keep coming back. As another suggestion, here is what I would do:

-Buy a small whiteboard and marker. Make a sort of "mad libs" for pizza orders. Use a label maker to write something like

"I would like ___ slices of _______ pizza"

"For drink, I would like a __________"

Keep a small whiteboard for yourself, and when you have their total, write on it "Your total is $_______. Thank you."

Depending on your menu, you can figure out what else to put on there. When a person on a cell phone comes in, hand them the board and marker. If they don't mind filling in the blanks, good for them. I suspect, though, that people will realize that takes more work (trying to think, write, and talk at the same time, and will decide to get off the phone instead.

Honestly, if they are not willing to SPEAK to you, I would not be willing to SPEAK to them. People will get the message.

HndrdPrcnt
04-30-2008, 11:54 PM
If you'd like an idea for a sign: "In order to better serve you, please finish phone conversations before approaching the counter. Thank you."

Scott has given you the perfect verbage for a sign and I agree 100% with him on this. I don't think that banning cell phone use is appropriate all-together, however, in order to make sure that their order is correct and that you know exactly what they want without having to second guess anything, them being off the phone to order with words, would be appropriate!:thumbsup:

Alligirl
05-01-2008, 01:06 AM
I worked as a portrait photographer for nearly 20 years, so I understand the retail part of this.
You can not imagine the number of women who would walk in chatting on the phone, stop at the counter rummage through the purse pull out and toss the reciept at me, look at the pictures, hand me a credit card, sign and go on their way all without one word to me!
So now I work in an elemetary school office and I think well I wont have that problem anymore...Wrong! This Mom came in just the other day on her phone, looks over at me raises her eyebrows and nods her head to the side. Of course I was supposed to interrpret this to mean please call into three different classrooms to have my three kids dismissed early. Well when I did not move to call them (because I really didnt know who she was or why she was there) she got all huffy and mad at me! Still not ending the call. Like I can read her mind?!
So yes I agree a majority of ppl tend to be rude while on the cell phone. I smile and wait and if questioned I tell them I did not want to be rude and was waiting until they were done. Then I smile again and ask how I can help them!

conorsmom2000
05-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Wow, what a thread! :D I am definitely one of those that finds this totally rude. I do get that cell phones are a part of daily life - I work from home, run a non-profit and am President of the PA - my phone goes off a lot! But, I would never not speak to a person who is taking care of me in a restaurant or anywhere for that matter. And being that my family can be slightly sarcastic, my sign would say something like "In order to serve you better, we ask that you speak your order to us as we do not understand pointing, grunting or morse code".... :blush: Hence, that is why I will most likely never be a business owner as I would be the rude one and offending my customers! But if you don't have two seconds to politely order, and say thank you, how are you going to even eat your pizza? Are you going to be chewing in the ear of the person your speaking to?

And what if the person behind the counter was on the phone talking to their boss, or taking another order and never said thank you to you - they just hand you your stuff and wave you away? Wouldn't you find that rude as well? Shouldn't we be striving for a little common courtesy, instead of making excuses for the lack of it? :confused:

Just my two cents....

crazypoohbear
05-01-2008, 08:16 AM
How about just staring blankly at them until they hang up or acknowledge you. If they cant' "see" you to speak to you then it can be reciprocal

Then you could always say "I didn't want to interrupt your important call, so I waited until you were finished."
Then go over the top with a "Welcome to Pizza land, my name is Nemo, How may I be of service to you today" "Thank you so much and you have a lovely day. Please stop by again!"

People on the boards have commented about how Disney service has gone downhill at times and how terrible service makes them not want to go back yet we are expected as the consumer to be rude and impolite and that is going to be okay???

Dsnygirl
05-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I have to agree with you on this one... although I totally see the points made by Ian and Sherri and others. And I think Scott's sign would be perfect!!

I agree that cell phones are an integral part of our lives, and I can't tell you how many times I've gone to grab mine to make a quick call to my DH while in line at the grocery store, etc. But then I stop and realize that what I've got to tell him isn't an emergency, and that the person who's about to ring up my groceries deserves my attention and my respect while they do their job, which is caring for me and what I'm purchasing. The people around us that we interact with, esp. those serving us, deserve a smile and an acknowledgement and the common courtesy of being spoken to and not treated like second-class servants while they wait for us to either finish our call, or accept that they will be treated like they don't exist while we gab on.

If you've got time to "pop in" for a slice, you've got time to set your cell phone down - or at least finish your call before you approach the counter and treat those serving you with respect and courtesy. I bet none of us would even consider being on our cell phones while we're purchasing things in the stores at Disney - why would we do it at our local pizza shop, etc., who see a lot more of us and get a lot more of our business on a day - to - day basis?

In today's world, it is so easy to live in our own little bubble and ignore those around us - and we then wonder why our kids seem immune to common courtesy and manners and treating others kindly. If they see us setting the example of letting our cell phones get more attention than the humans in front of us, you can bet they'll begin to do the same with whatever they feel is more important than those around them!

There now... I'll step down off my :soapbox:... it's just my :twocents:, for what they're worth... but I'm a nurse, and I run into in all the time when I'm caring for people, and it just burns me. :blush:

Jeff G
05-01-2008, 10:15 AM
And a third side--the other customers. A business owner has to think about the loss of customers who would rather avoid the rudeness of some cell phone users. I tend to avoid some businesses because of the behavior of other customers. .

Are these people deterring business? If they are then yes post the sign. I as a patron would find the person on the phone as rude but it wouldn't stop me from going back to the business. There are a lot of things equally offending that happen in lines every day.

My point is that this policy will offend some customers which could hurt business. Is it worth potentially losing business?

(Please understand, I'm not defending the action. Whether it's at this pizza parlor or any other public place where human interaction I find this down right rude.)

drummerboy
05-01-2008, 10:19 AM
One more observation. As an attorney, I know that anyone I deal with from day to day could be a potential client. If I act like they don't exist when they're helping me, you can bet they'll act like I don't exist when they need legal help and they'll go to somebody else. I just think that courtesy should trascend technology.

tinkerbellybutton
05-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I guess I can see both sides of this conversation. I personally have been stuck on important calls, or gotten them at inopportune moments. However, I have actually chosen to grab something from a vending machine or wait untill my call is done. If that is not and option I politely ask the person on the phone if they can hold a moment. I have been dealing with lawyers, senators and members of congress and not one of them has had an issue with holding for the short time it took me to order food or say hello and thank you to a cashier etc.
I used to work as a cashier at a convenience store and have to say that the majority of people on cell phones while checking out were not only rude to me and the other cashiers but were also oblivious as to what was going on around them. I have seen people who have said completely innapropriate (not necessarily curse words) things on the phone while a mother and young child stood on line behind them, one of them that really sticks out is one woman talking about what she had bought her son from Santa. The little girl behind her was crushed. Tears in the eyes and all. Unfortunately she can't "unhear" it. Even things that aren't as blatant as that, things that we discuss with other adults that just don't need to be said around children. I know that's kind of off the subject so I guess I'll shut up now :blush: ;)

MegaDisney
05-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Talking on a cell phone and attempting to conduct a real life transaction of any type is RUDE. If it is that important delay ordering lunch or whatever else you are attempting to do. The "it's my job" or "it can't wait" excuse is no excuse IMHO. Wait till you are off the phone to interact with others who are not.

RUDE RUDE RUDE!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-03-2008, 09:47 PM
I work in a jewelry store as my (part time) job and I will NOT wait on someone who comes in on a cell phone. We've also asked people to please hang up their cell phones. For all we know they could be casing the place & telling the person on the other end where the expensive items are located in the store.
And then there was the time the guy came in on his cell phone, looked at a Rolex and said he'd take it. Let me tell you, NO ONE buys a Rolex that quick. He gave us a credit card, and big surprise it was turned down. We think the person on the other end of the phone was "coaching" him on what to buy and what to do. Needless to say, he left without that Rolex!

Here we go again...
05-05-2008, 09:12 AM
I work in a pharmacy and we have to deal with the same problem.
Do you know how many people share your name? When you come in to fill a prescription we need to make sure we have the right person, right date of birth, right medications.... if we miss one thing we could give you a medication with drug interactions... all by choosing the wrong "you" because you will not get off the phone long enough to answer questions.

We have parents that think the pharmacy is the perfect place to call their family to let everyone know they are out of the hospital and "fine". Well, you are not fine until I get that prescription typed and filled properly. If i can not get you to tell me drug allergies or other medical information then you might leave not so fine after all...

Patty
05-05-2008, 09:09 PM
WOW! With some this is a touchy subject.

As a waitress this is how I deal with a person on the phone. I always give the benefit of a doubt that maybe they [I]can't[I] get off the phone at that moment. These people will look at you, usually directly in the eye and mouth there appologies. I ask if they would like me to come back, if they say no I will gladly work through this obstacle to get there order. I understand alot of people get important calls at very unconvienant times, and that they are not being rude.

NOW on the other side of the coin you have those incredible rude people who are just shootin the (well you know what). Those people you can tell right away also, they totally ignore you when you walk up to there table or worse yet act like you, the person they expect to wait on them, is the rude one for approaching them while they are on the phone. To those people I just as rudely (well maybe a little more like sarcasticly) anounce that I will return when they are off the phone. The only problem with this approach is that since I work for tips it is not such a good idea to insult the customer, but being Irish, German, and a Taurus to top it off, I can't help my stubborness sometimes.

On the other hand, when I am the one on the phone I will always put the phone down for a minute, pay attention to, and pay for my service what ever it may be then continue my phone call.

Cell phones have become a neccesary evil, but with a little common scense and some courtesy we can all get through this and move on to the next rude piece of technology that we just can't live without.