PDA

View Full Version : Classes that just don't fit

thrillme
04-29-2008, 12:51 AM
I'm just venting a bit here but...

I really can't stand the idea of my DS taking some class to "get in touch with feelings" as opposed to getting some "physical exercise". Yes this silly class is a version of "Barney" for 6th graders and a state requirement. They do weird things like build a stool, play love songs, etc.

I do understand the need for these types of classes for some kids but there are kids that NEED physical ed a LOT more.

He's an A student, scouts, swimming and has quite a number of friends...I just feel he's wasting away in this class when he could be doing something so much more "challenging" or "active".

I guess I also get a bit frustrated when he has to take tests "below" the level he's working on (honors and excel) because it's a state requirement for all kids to pass a certian level of exam. How is that beneficial to him to STOP and review lower level exercises?

Sigh...I know NOTHING will change but I'm just frustrated. I sometimes feel like my DS gets "left behind" because of a big POTHOLE in front of him.

SBETigg
04-29-2008, 06:36 AM
It sounds like you have him in a lot of activities outside of school, so you have a well-rounded boy with lots of interests. Things change drastically in middle school and high school and he's almost there. He'll be able to have more choice in his classes and even the standardized tests become a little more challenging, or less class time gets devoted to them. Hang in there and encourage him to stay interested and engaged.

offwego
04-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Many of those classes include components on anti bullying and working as teams do they not? (They do here) Perhaps if you look at it as an oppurtunity for your son to be mentoring kids who aren't doing as well in those areas you can help him work leadership skills. It's never to early to be learning how to set a good example, and help others reach their potential two things that will help him for the rest of his life.

Good luck with the classes, and I agree with the prev. poster High school will change many of these concerns for you.

Gooftroop5
04-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Sigh...I know NOTHING will change but I'm just frustrated. I sometimes feel like my DS gets "left behind" because of a big POTHOLE in front of him.

I should stay away from this but I am so against the "no child left behind". All of my dd's teacher can't stand it either. Their hands are tied. :mad:They are bringing the kids to a lower level. It is totally doing the opposite of what it was meant to do. The only thing they are taught is what will be on the tests. Then they move on to the next test. Then by the end of the year the teachers get a little freedom but they still have to gear the kids for the next years test. We are seeing that a lot with dd. We are in a small school district so her disgraphalexia issues were discovered & are being handled sooner than family members kids were discovered that are in a larger school district. Luckily because her 1st grade teachers son had it so she saw it in dd & with our help she got dd into the testing. DD still goes for ot 2x a week. This has nothing to do with a no child left behind. We have very good special ed here. Always have long before the no child left behind. It was this way when I was in school. I started school in the 70's. Stuff my mil & fil had to fight for when dh & bil went to school for their school district to get help with bil dyslexia were already being done here. Sorry off the topic. What it all boils down to is let our teachers teach our children then we might be able to compete with the rest of the world instead of forcing down to the lowest level of our society. I will get off my soapbox. :soapbox:

As for the class your son is in is more so they can try to stop the school shootings, bombings bullying etc. Since this whole thing is another soapbox issue :soapbox: I will stop right now. You might not be happy but since we have no control just make sure he keeps up with his outside activities & know that he might not need it but someone else does & that might just save your son in the future.

meldan98
04-29-2008, 12:37 PM
My mom has worked in the public school system for 30 years, since I was in 1st grade. She went from teaching kids to raising kids. She has to teach them hygene, social skills, health ed, and then if they have time, the stuff on the tests. She gets so frustrated with teaching the stuff that kids should learn at home. Many of the parents don't want to teach their kids anything. They claim that's what school is for. They have even pretty much given up on home work and projects, because it doesn't get done and many of the parents don't care.

This is the primary reason my dd will be going to private school, so she can actually get an education.

KineGirl
04-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Many of those classes include components on anti bullying and working as teams do they not? (They do here) Perhaps if you look at it as an oppurtunity for your son to be mentoring kids who aren't doing as well in those areas you can help him work leadership skills. It's never to early to be learning how to set a good example, and help others reach their potential two things that will help him for the rest of his life.

Good luck with the classes, and I agree with the prev. poster High school will change many of these concerns for you.

I totally agree about mentoring! Its also a great opportunity for him to see that sometimes you have to do things for the good of the whole instead of for the good of the self. Thats life .... sometimes we have to do things that we dont want to do or we feel is below our level of understanding. Dont worry - teaching social aspects is never a waste of time and I wish at times it was an ongoing class all the way up through graduation seeing how some kids act... and one that should be required of parents as well. Sure! Most of us wouldnt need it but SOME do and it would be worth it for the sake of all our childrens well being and safety IMO

Marker
04-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Very tough, and touchy topic.

A lot of people have a lot of negative things to say about No Child Left Behind, but a lot of those people demanded it to begin with. No, they didn't demand this particular policy, but they demanded that teachers and schools be held accountable, that's part of the reason for NCLB. They wanted education to be fair and equal across social and economic lines, for this to be "fairly" monitored it must be measurable, that's part of the reason for NCLB.

Though I feel it's intent was good, it's implementation hasn't worked out so well. It's far too complicated, and while it does add accountability, it's also proving to be very limiting. For every measure it is succeeding in leaving no child left behind, it also seems to be limit potential achievement of others.

One thing to remember though, is that whether federal, state, school board, or individual school, they have to consider ALL students, whereas our focus as parents is on what benefits our own student. As with most things, the specific needs of indivuals are not in line with the needs of the general population, and vice-versa.

Have you discussed your concerns with your school's principal? Not attacked, but discussed. Likely, as someone said, their hands are tied, but it might be helpful in understanding and finding any potential improvements to the situation.

Just my opinion.

Ian
04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
My mom has worked in the public school system for 30 years, since I was in 1st grade. She went from teaching kids to raising kids.I'm not going to say too much on this topic because it's pretty touchy, but I do want to say that I agree with this.

To me, teaching kids to "get in touch with their feelings" is the parent's job, not a teacher's. Frankly, if it was my kid, I'd be in the principle's office demanding my child be moved to some other activity during that time period. That's a complete and total waste of time in the context of education and also a waste of my taxpayer dollars.

I mean no wonder our kids are so deficient in things like math and science! We waste time teaching them to build stools and sing love songs?? HOW ABSURD IS THAT???

Ugh ... I have no idea if this has anything to do with NCLB or not, but it's ridiculous and I plan on finding out immediately if our school district does this so I can begin fighting against it now, before DD gets there.

Marker
04-29-2008, 03:02 PM
I have no idea if this has anything to do with NCLB or not, but it's ridiculous and I plan on finding out immediately if our school district does this so I can begin fighting against it now, before DD gets there.

Actually, it probably doesn't have anything to do with NCLB. It probably goes more towards the same thoughts as including Art, Music, Health, and other such "non-necessary" topics. Topics that some folks say are the parents job, and others want included because parents don't/won't.

I really wouldn't want to coment much about the class itself because I've only heard one side of it. Sometimes, and I don't know that this is the case here at all, but sometimes a parent's perception is based heavily on what their child says, and may or may not be the "whole" story.

That's why I thought it would be a good idea to go in and discuss it with the teacher/principal. Get the "whole story" before deciding how aggrivated to become.

thrillme
05-13-2008, 11:28 PM
SIgh...It's a HUGE school in a HUGE school district. I truly don't think the principal likes it either because he seemed to lower his head and shake it when he talked about how ALL kids will go through this.

It's almost over...I just really wish I could see him in something more "productive" or something like P.E. I've taken him on vacations that are fun and educational...we've gone to museums and several other "humanities" styled activities.

I think this is a program aganinst drugs and school violence which is really a GOOD thing...I guess I just am from the OLD school in which I feel it's MY job to instill those lessons in him. Unfortunately I know there are a lot of parents who just have no business being parents.

ckaranassos
05-14-2008, 10:01 AM
As a teacher of lower grades and now a parent I was shocked at what my 6th grade daughter has learned in her health class. She knows more about the male "workings" than I think I do:blush: We did have to sign a waiver that she could be in the class, I did not think they would get that down and dirty. ;) Again touchy subject but I just feel that today school has become way too warm and fuzzy, not that there isn't a time and place for fuzzy. I believe we are creating generations of children with no coping or problem solving skills. My children aren't allowed to play dodge ball in gym or bombardment (sp) too physical and forget any competition. Everyone gets the same recognition first or last everyone gets trophies now in our recreation leagues. I'm sorry that is not how life is and then all of sudden whether it be high school, college or the real world kids are faced with "real life" and they can not handle it. I was reading young adults are failing miserably in the work force because if it is too hard or they don't get recognition right away the quit because basically no instant gratification. Sorry for the rant but we just had a 17 year old in our town walk in front of a train because his girlfriend broke up with him. Ranked third in his class and the basketball star.:(

MsMin
05-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Honestly, yes, it's a parent's job but b/c many parents aren't doing it we end up with school shootings and bullying that prevents others from focusing on education. I think 6th grade is too late b/c much is so ingrained at that point it's about useless to try to change b/c the major pathways are developed by about 5 so maybe it would help more in PreK and K. I do believe it's about school violence and I hate NCLB b/c there are some crazy strategies that IMO have not worked. Sadly enough all children are not equal and I agree that what these kids need is adult intervention like a mentoring program rather than taking school time. Why don't they let teachers teach and let the other professionals do their job outside of school?
Is this a weekly class? I would be upset too; but if it didn't take that much time from regular lessons I would just go with it.

Disneyatic
05-14-2008, 04:38 PM
I agree that if this is a sensibility type of class, 6th grade is a bit late to be trying to teach those lessons. And while I do agree that those are concepts and values that should be taught at home, the hard truth is that in the majority of households that is not the case.
I think that an awareness or sensitivity class for children is a great idea. I have a girl scout troop of 6-9 year olds and already sometimes have to deal with the fights and hurt feelings that kiddos can have from doing and saying hurtful things to each other. If the parents aren't teaching them to be considerate of others, then someone needs to. We can't just cast them aside because their parents don't put the effort into them that they should.
IMHO, kids can never have to many opportunities to learn how to deal considerately with each other and since it is obviously an aspect that is lacking in modern day America, it makes sense that schools are going to try to "take up the slack" because they have some of the largest exposure with the children.
I don't agree with the practices of NCLB at all, I think that instead of raising the standards and levels of our children, it is lowering them to grease the squeaky wheel. It bogs down the teachers and takes away the personal aspect of teaching and learning.
Does this class displace anything during the school day? How long is it?
I understand your frustration because your son is well adjusted and doesn't really need the extra attention, but I do agree that it gives them exposure to different people and situations and may have some long term benefit somehow.

meldan98
05-14-2008, 05:18 PM
As far as I'm concerned most NCLB is a joke. They now require all adults working in the school to have 48 units. Not 48 units of early childhood education or anything child related. They just need 48 units. You can take 48 units of underwater basket weaving, and hey, that's okay.

My mom is so tired of having to teach kids the things that they should be learning at home. They won't even send homework home anymore. Why...because the kids don't do it and the parents don't care. They have even given up on the 4th grade Mission projects because the parents won't help them with it. The teachers now work with them on it during school and they have to buy all of the supplies out of their pockets. My mom's school is 90% free lunch and over 1/3 of the school is at least 3 grade levels behind in at least two subjects.

With NCLB, the schools are being forced to teach to a lower standard and then hopefully improve the test scores. I just about fell over when I saw the list of things my dd would need to know prior to entering Kindergarten and my 4 year old is already well above and beyond everything on the list. She won't even start school until 2009, so that is one full year that she will gain even more knowledge. So if she were to start at a public school, she'd be 2 years ahead of the average student entering. To me, that's just wrong. She will be starting Pre-k in the fall at a private school and is right in line with their list of what they need to know prior to starting school. It is so sad to know that the state is providing such a sub-par education.