PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a weather radio? Which one?

DisneyDudet
04-28-2008, 07:38 PM
I have an OLD weather radio (about 12 years old!), and it still works, but am in the market for another. Some of you know, I started out in college as a meteorology major, but changed (to nursing). I LOVE weather!

I would love to get another weather radio. Our local TV station is endorsing a certain one, but it seems very similar to the one I have (my dinosaur one!). The one I have, goes off when there's watch or warning in the area. It gets cumbersome and annoying when there's a warning 5 counties away, and its going off.

Does anyone have a scanner type weather radio? Which one is best?

Our area has been hit with 10 tornados since March 31, so we're just getting into the season.

My prayers are with those who were hit in Virginia today.

jdcastle
04-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Practically all weather radios sold now use the new coding system that NOAA transmits (called the SAME system) that tells the radio what county an alert is for, along with the type of alert they are transmitting. The radio is then programmed by you to go off only when an alarm meets your criteria (ie, only your county, only for warnings, no alarm for floods, no watches, blah, blah, blah...)

I bought mine at Radio Shack. It if fully customizable, but is a little difficult to program, but only because it is so customizable.

In my area, the local TV station co-sells a model which, if ordered through them, can be pre-programmed for you before it is shipped.

DizHawk
04-29-2008, 12:07 AM
The one that Finfrock is promoting is a good one. The new(ish) SAME protocol keeps you from getting alerts about storms five counties away.

Also, the radio that channel 5 is promoting has a bit of a discount over the regular price. I say go for it.

I'm a weather nut too. My wife says that it's a good thing that I didn't finish my meteorology degree because it would be my mistress. ;)

DisneyDudet
04-29-2008, 12:14 PM
The one that Finfrock is promoting is a good one. The new(ish) SAME protocol keeps you from getting alerts about storms five counties away.

Also, the radio that channel 5 is promoting has a bit of a discount over the regular price. I say go for it.

I'm a weather nut too. My wife says that it's a good thing that I didn't finish my meteorology degree because it would be my mistress. ;)

DizHawk, boy we are too alike!

I guess I'll have to go look at the one they are selling at Walgreens. Its a decent price. There was one at Wal Mart about the same price, right after the ones that came through northern Tarrant county about a month ago. They look similar.

I guess I'll have to update mine, seeing as you CANNOT get sleep with it on!

Thanks guys!