PDA

View Full Version : Summer Character Meal Prices!

Mickey91
04-28-2008, 05:47 PM
:mad: I am so angry!! I called to book a couple of character meals for our fun, spur of the moment trip at the end of May and am appalled at the rise in price for the "Summer Season". I was already annoyed that the resorts were more with the new Summer Season but I had no idea it had jumped to the dining as well! And, just FYI, the Akershus dining now has a mandatory picture package and the prices have jumped to 32.99. Gee wiz it's not like it's Cinderella's Castle!! I am an all Disney girl and love everything about Disney World but there is no reason for them to make the magic totally unaffordable for normal people. Okay, I think I'm off my soapbox now :soapbox:. Thanks for letting me vent!

doodleboy
04-28-2008, 09:43 PM
With energy and food prices soaring everywhere in the country, it was only a matter of time before this happened. WDW will have to charge more to make profit margins, and we will also have to pay more to get there. We have been living fat and happy as a nation for far too long, and it's time to pay the piper. I don't like it either, but have to face the reality of it.

lockedoutlogic
04-28-2008, 10:01 PM
With energy and food prices soaring everywhere in the country, it was only a matter of time before this happened. WDW will have to charge more to make profit margins, and we will also have to pay more to get there. We have been living fat and happy as a nation for far too long, and it's time to pay the piper. I don't like it either, but have to face the reality of it.

energy and food prices have nothing to do with it....

they are doing this because they can....because people still blindly use the dining plan....and because they think this will become an accepted norm and expense....

...they're probably right

KylesMom
04-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I was already annoyed that the resorts were more with the new Summer Season but I had no idea it had jumped to the dining as well! You know, the "peak and summer season" character meal surcharge was mentioned several months back, but no one has really talked about it in detail - perhaps because so many people are utilizing the dining plan and it has largely gone unnoticed. I, too, was shocked when I first heard about it. It falls in line with all of the other increases - room, dining plan, tickets, strollers, ECVs, etcetera. And you're right - it does stink.

Young@Heart
04-28-2008, 10:52 PM
After getting the dining plan in 2006, we decided never to go back unless we get the DDP. Because of that, I don't really even look at the cost at any TS location-just whether it takes 1 TS credit or 2. :blush:
I have a feeling more and more people were spoiled by the DDP when app's and tips were included and will continue to add it on to their plan.

Mickey91
04-28-2008, 11:39 PM
We decided not to do the dining plan for this trip in May. We were trying to be economical and only do a couple of character meals that we love. The Norway breakfast is new to us. I bet as they go up on price, and I hate to mention it in case it gives them ideas, that they will begin to make more of the character experiences 2-TS credits. Eventually, the dining plan won't be economical either.

But, I don't think energy prices have anything to do with the Seasonal price hikes. They are just squeezing every penny possible from us because they can. Only thing is, if everyone is like us, they aren't getting more, we're getting less. We have a budget to spend when we go. It will either go to gas, food and lodging or souvenirs. We don't have more to spend just because they hiked the price. So, we will spend the same amount and just come home with less stuff to put away.

Look at the bright side, we won't have to complain about generic merchandise anymore because we won't have any money left to buy it.

McGoofy
04-29-2008, 03:41 AM
You know, the "peak and summer season" character meal surcharge was mentioned several months back, but no one has really talked about it in detail - perhaps because so many people are utilizing the dining plan and it has largely gone unnoticed. I, too, was shocked when I first heard about it. It falls in line with all of the other increases - room, dining plan, tickets, strollers, ECVs, etcetera. And you're right - it does stink.

KylesMom, I missed this discussion somewhere. This is the first I have heard about seasonal meal charges. Where can I find the details for this?

KylesMom
04-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Tara, this is directly from Jason's Updates in September of '07:

A Royal Raise

9/19/07 Dining Cast have reported that the Holiday Seating prices at Cinderella's Royal Table will also be in effect during the Easter and Summer Holiday time periods. Starting in 2008, Cinderella's Royal Table will charge a "Holiday Premium" price for meals March 16th through March 29th and May 25th through July 5th in addition to the previously announced periods.

Although other character meals previously followed suite instituting the same Fall/Winter periods of Holiday Premium Pricing as Cinderella's Royal Table, it is currently unknown if the same will happen for these Spring/Summer periods.
6/22/07 Dining Cast have reported that Cinderella's Royal Table will raises prices Late Fall 2007 and will institute special Holiday Seating prices.

Starting November 11, 2007 Breakfast seating prices will be raised to $32.99 per Adult and $22.99 per Child; Lunch seating prices will be raised to $35.99 per Adult and $23.99 per Child; and Dinner seating prices will be raised to $40.99 per Adult and $25.99 per Child.

Also starting in November 2007, Cinderella's Royal Table will charge a "Holiday Premium" price for meals November 18th through November 24th and December 16th through January 5th. During the Holiday period Breakfast seating prices will be $36.99 per Adult and $24.99 per Child, Lunch seating prices will be $39.99 per Adult and $25.99 per Child; and Dinner seating prices will be $44.99 per Adult and $27.99 per Child.
This is the only thing I've really read about it. I think it's been really transparent because so many are utilizing the dining plan . . . :( to my knowledge there haven't been any updates to this mentioning surcharges for all the character meals. Jason's post only addresses CRT, so I don't know how extensive the character meal list is (all? none other?). Since the surcharges don't fall within our travel dates, I haven't checked into it any further.

DisneyWhirled
04-29-2008, 11:31 AM
I hadn't noticed this, either. Likely b/c we do the dining plan. How sad...when you think about it, how much does breakfast actually cost? I know I don't eat for $32.99 and my children definitely don't eat for $24.99.

There is always the premium we pay to see the characters at breakfast, but, it is my opinion that people NOT on the dining plan may limit their character experiences and start to go off property to eat....

McGoofy
04-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Tara, this is directly from Jason's Updates in September of '07:

This is the only thing I've really read about it. I think it's been really transparent because so many are utilizing the dining plan . . . :( to my knowledge there haven't been any updates to this mentioning surcharges for all the character meals. Jason's post only addresses CRT, so I don't know how extensive the character meal list is (all? none other?). Since the surcharges don't fall within our travel dates, I haven't checked into it any further.

Thanks for the info. I thought it was all character meals, and none of the CM's had mentioned extra charges to me when I made reservations for our upcoming trip. That makes me feel better now knowing that it is only CRT. (Although I hate it for those who want to eat at CRT.) Unfortunately, I'm sure the time will come when they will slowly incorporate these fees into all character meals. Thanks again for the info!:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
04-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the info. I thought it was all character meals, and none of the CM's had mentioned extra charges to me when I made reservations for our upcoming trip. That makes me feel better now knowing that it is only CRT. (Although I hate it for those who want to eat at CRT.) Unfortunately, I'm sure the time will come when they will slowly incorporate these fees into all character meals. Thanks again for the info!:thumbsup:
It is my understand that it IS ALL character meals. This started back at Thanksgiving 2007 and included Thanksgiving, Christmas/NYE, Easter, and pretty much the entire Summer starting at Memorial Day and extending through to the end of August. I believe the surcharge is $4.

Tinkermom07
04-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Unfortunately, it is for all character meals. We have 12 TS meals booked, and I usually get a gift card for each before we go, it helps me budget. I went to get the cards this past weekend, and was checking how much to put on each before I left, found out about the charge, and had to add $4 for each of us for 5 character meals--that added another almost $100. I am now one card short, because I didn't know about the extra charge when I set the money aside, or I have to cancel a meal. Sigh, I'll be going back next month for that last card.
It stinks. I do take small consolation in that I'm getting 2 photo packages that I wouldn't have bought. They were going to raise the prices anyway, they didn't have to add this in, but I wish they would do it for all of them.

KylesMom
04-30-2008, 10:23 AM
It is my understand that it IS ALL character meals. This started back at Thanksgiving 2007 and included Thanksgiving, Christmas/NYE, Easter, and pretty much the entire Summer starting at Memorial Day and extending through to the end of August. I've read on another site that the surcharge runs through July 5th . . . does anyone have any other information on this?

McGoofy
04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
This is sort of crazy that I can't find any "official" WDW info on the holiday premium pricing for dining, but I easily found many other discussion boards that are talking about "special holiday pricing will be in effect at the buffets from May 25 - July 5, 2008!" Where did the official WDW announcement come from that has discussions boards talking? I can't find it anywhere.

the real Alice
04-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Unfortunately this seasonal price increase maybe for more than just character buffets. I made a ADR for dinner at O'Hanna during our trip at the end of May. I was told it would be holiday pricing, which was few dollars more. I didn't understand that since we are going the week after Memorial Day; I guess this explains it. The funny thing is that on a separate call I made an ADR for breakfast at the Crystal Palace and a price increase wasn't mentioned.

We are trying to save money this trip and just eat 2 TS meals in the park instead of doing DDP. With these increases i'm tempted to switch to non-buffets, but i don't think I can give up O'Hana!

Figment!
05-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Jason's post only addresses CRT, so I don't know how extensive the character meal list is (all? none other?). The Spring/Summer Holiday Premium has since been announced to apply to all Character Meals and Buffet Meals.

This is sort of crazy that I can't find any "official" WDW info on the holiday premium pricing for diningIt has only been announced internally to Dining Cast and Dining Reservationists, the resort has not made any general public announcement of the change.

It's actually pretty common for a change in dining price to not be announced publicly, precedent is that Guests will learn of the change when they go to make a reservation or dine there.

McGoofy
05-01-2008, 11:03 AM
It's actually pretty common for a change in dining price to not be announced publicly, precedent is that Guests will learn of the change when they go to make a reservation or dine there.

Thanks Jason! That clears that up. I was wondering how everybody knew about it. Now I know...Disney just "socks it" to the guests by surprise! Good to know.