PDA

View Full Version : How much are wheelchairs? Best options?

pamlvt
04-28-2008, 05:46 PM
I've asked a question before on the wheelchair subject and thank-you everyone for the great advice. Now two more:
How much are wheelchair rentals?
and
Would it make more sense and/or save $ to rent one at OKW and keep it all week, thus saving time waiting in line each day at the parks?

We'll be driving our own rental car(s) to the parks bc we find it faster and more convenient....assuming the wheelchair will fit in the trunk. We're getting mid-sized cars.

Background - Our 21 year old daughter has a knee injury and she will be having surgery 3 days after our trip. We're getting a wheelchair bc walking is painful and a week at Disney would be really bad without one.

thanks in advance :mickey:
21 more days!!!!:cloud9:

ElenitaB
04-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Wheelchair rental at the parks is $10 a day. I would suggest that you have a w/c available your entire trip as things can be much more spread out than you think. Several years ago we borrowed/rented a wheelchair for my mom from Wilderness Lodge, but honestly I don't remember if/what the charge was. I'm sure someone will be along soon.

As you're staying at OKW, please call and make sure that they note on your reservation that you need a first floor villa for a medical reason. Many of the buildings do not have elevators.

Congrats on your DD's engagement!

Mfarquar
04-28-2008, 10:12 PM
I've borrowed them from whatever Disney hotel I've stayed at every time I have gone with my aunt who walks with a cane, but can't make it around Disney parks without a wheelchair most days (she doesn't own one for her day to day activities, but Disney is just too much).

The hotels have never charged us. The last time I did this back in 2006, there was no fee. This was for a regular, non-motorized wheelchair. I believe you are supposed to bring it back each evening to the front desk, but the 3 or 4 times we've done it, they've always just told us to keep them in the room overnight, and return it at the end of our trip.

I'm not sure what you'll find now, but I would imagine it is similar.

tnpoohbear
04-29-2008, 12:49 PM
We always get a wheelchair for DS at the resort and it has always been free. That way we can take it everywhere we go. Once I did have to give a credit card imprint to hold in case it was not returned and that was several years ago and we have not had to do that since!:mickey:

pamlvt
04-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Wow, thanks everyone! I think I'll call OKW and ask if one can be available when we get there. This is a great secret. If most knew that you can get them for free at the resorts, you'd think most people would avail themselves to it.
I figure it will save considerable time each day if we have our chair before we get to the parks.
I'll let everyone know when we get back if it still holds true.:thumbsup: