PDA

View Full Version : Overheard being said by CM???

ldc12377
04-28-2008, 02:07 PM
I have always been amazed by the level of friendliness that most CM display in the theme parks. You know that there are times when they just want to "lose it" with the "tourist". I mean really how many times could you answer stupid questions, or give directions to something obvious like "Where is the castle?", or how much could you tolerate rude people and still say "Have a Magical Day" with a smile. I think most of the CM do a really great job at keeping the magic alive, but sometimes they say the funniest thing in their quest to be nice.
On our trip last summer, we were sitting on the tram waiting for it to go to the parking lot so we could begin our search for our car. Before the tram pulls away, the CM standing in back always says, "No Further Boarding" so that people will stop getting on and clear the way for the tram to leave. However, on this day, apparently the people wanting on the tram didn't understand that the tram was ready to leave. The CM said "No Further Boarding" but people kept getting on, then he said "No Further Boarding" again. AND again people continued to try to squeeze on the tram...So then the CM said "No Further Boarding means Do NOT get on the tram" but he said it so musically that he still seemed very nice. Those of us on the tram all began to laugh and finally people stoppped boarding and the tram moved.

What things have you heard the CMs say in the name of being nice and friendly?

Ian
04-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Good post ... we've heard dozens over the years, but one from when I was a kid always sticks out in my mind ...

When you got off Mr. Toad there used to be that little recorded spiel that says, "Step out to your left, please. When the car stops, step out to your left."

So our car is just coming out from the ride and in the car in front of us this woman is stepping out to (say it with me, folks) the right. The CM working the ride is like, "Step out to your left please."

No effect ... the woman keeps climbing out to her right (she was kinda large and it took her awhile to actually get out of the ride vehicle) ...

So he says it again, "Ma'am, please exit to the left."

So she looks up and now recognizes that she hears him and sort of waves him off like, "Yeah, yeah I hear ya." but she continues to exit to her right.

So the CM finally says, in a very polite voice, "No, ma'am ... your other left."

She finally realized what she was doing and crawled across the car to exit on the correct side. ;)

brad192
04-28-2008, 03:48 PM
During my '04 trip, I was spending the day at Epcot. It was overcast, cool, and the forcast was for on & off rain showers. I thought that, if I got caught in one, I'd just duck into the closest building & wait it out - no need for a poncho.....

Well, as I was heading for the Canadian pavillion from Future World, the skies opened up with an absolute deluge. We're talking biblicle proportions here. I hustled as quickly as I could to the O Canada! theater, but was literally dripping wet when I entered. The CM standing there took one look at me (and the puddle I was creating on the floor), and said with a huge smile and the sweetest voice you can imagine "Welcome to sunny Florida!" After which we both disolved into hysterics.

andreallybadeggs
04-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Haven't heard a real voice on the monorail for quite sometime. Our 2 teenage DS's enjoyed a spiel several years ago. Can't remember what all was said except "Please take all your belongings and children as you exit the monorail. Any children not claimed after 30 days will become permanent exhibits in the Small World attraction"

DisneyWitch
04-28-2008, 07:42 PM
My favourite is from the tram. As we were pulling in to the ticket and transportation center, the cast member warned us to wait to exit until the tram came to "a full and complete stop." We would know when the time came because "the tram and the ground will be moving at the same speed." I loved it!

KAJUNKING
04-28-2008, 07:54 PM
My favourite is from the tram. As we were pulling in to the ticket and transportation center, the cast member warned us to wait to exit until the tram came to "a full and complete stop." We would know when the time came because "the tram and the ground will be moving at the same speed." I loved it!

thats pretty darn funny :haha:

dizknee531
04-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Good post ... we've heard dozens over the years, but one from when I was a kid always sticks out in my mind ...

When you got off Mr. Toad there used to be that little recorded spiel that says, "Step out to your left, please. When the car stops, step out to your left."

So our car is just coming out from the ride and in the car in front of us this woman is stepping out to (say it with me, folks) the right. The CM working the ride is like, "Step out to your left please."

No effect ... the woman keeps climbing out to her right (she was kinda large and it took her awhile to actually get out of the ride vehicle) ...

So he says it again, "Ma'am, please exit to the left."

So she looks up and now recognizes that she hears him and sort of waves him off like, "Yeah, yeah I hear ya." but she continues to exit to her right.

So the CM finally says, in a very polite voice, "No, ma'am ... your other left."

She finally realized what she was doing and crawled across the car to exit on the correct side. ;)
I have seen the same thing at Snow White's Scariest adventures. It seems the tourists are so hung upon getting to their next attraction, that they don't pay attention. The CM's just smile. What else can you do??:bang::bang::bang:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-29-2008, 01:39 AM
I liked when one Guest was convinced we sold Thing 1 and Thing 2 shirts. She said we were lying to her and that she wanted to report us for being so rude and unhelpful after we spent 10 minutes trying to explain that Universal was the one who sold them.

Main Street Jim
04-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Rain = "Welcome to sunny Florida!" or "Welcome to Walt Disney World's newest water park, Magic Waters!"

"the tram and the ground will be moving at the same speed." Someone stole my line from the Steam Trains ;) I used to say that *all the time* when we were pulling into a station.

"Any children not claimed after 30 days will become permanent exhibits in the Small World attraction"When I see a parent frustrated with their kids (kids acting up in line, etc.) in line, I tell them, "you know what we do with kids that misbehave at the Magic Kingdom? We take 'em over to small world, bolt 'em to the floor, and teach 'em to sing in thirteen languages... now *that's* torture!"
Training one of my Cast Members a while back on the Main Street omnibus (double decker bus), and we're parked *right in front of the Castle* (keep this in mind ;)). Grandma and her grandkid come walking across the Fantasyland bridge with a park map open. Being the great guy that I am, I ask her, "Ma'am, can we help you find anything?" She looks up from her map, looks at me, and says..."Where's the Magic Kingdom?" I look at my trainee like, "This's got to be a setup..." and I tell her, "Ma'am, you're *IN* the Magic Kingdom", and I kind of wave my arm around in a circle.
<looks at her map again, then at me...>"...Oh. Well...can you tell me where the rides are?"
<I look at my trainee with a "this can't be real, this has got to be on camera somewheres...LOLOL" look...>"Well, there's Fantasyland (pointing behind the castle), Tomorrowland (pointing behind her), Frontierland, Adventureland, Liberty Square...are you looking for anything in particular?"
"Where's the Castle?"
<I look at my trainee again, look down at the ground, then, frustrated, point diligently RIGHT behind me>"You mean, THAT castle?"
"No, *this* castle...", she says, pointing to the center of her park map.
I tell her that that's the same one I'm pointing at, but she still wasn't convinced....

Buttercup
04-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Oh dear lord, Jim. You can not seriously have kept a straight face in front of that woman?

Where the heck did she think she was?!?!

You wonder how people like that wake up in the morning and are able to figure out how to brush their teeth every day, let alone exist in everyday life!

T-Belle
04-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Grandma and her grandkid come walking across the Fantasyland bridge with a park map open. Being the great guy that I am, I ask her, "Ma'am, can we help you find anything?" She looks up from her map, looks at me, and says..."Where's the Magic Kingdom?" I look at my trainee like, "This's got to be a setup..." and I tell her, "Ma'am, you're *IN* the Magic Kingdom", and I kind of wave my arm around in a circle.
<looks at her map again, then at me...>"...Oh. Well...can you tell me where the rides are?"
<I look at my trainee with a "this can't be real, this has got to be on camera somewheres...LOLOL" look...>"Well, there's Fantasyland (pointing behind the castle), Tomorrowland (pointing behind her), Frontierland, Adventureland, Liberty Square...are you looking for anything in particular?"
"Where's the Castle?"
<I look at my trainee again, look down at the ground, then, frustrated, point diligently RIGHT behind me>"You mean, THAT castle?"
I tell her that that's the same one I'm pointing at, but she still wasn't convinced....

Oh Jim!!!! You and your fellow CM's have the patience of a saint!!!

joanna71985
04-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Training one of my Cast Members a while back on the Main Street omnibus (double decker bus), and we're parked *right in front of the Castle* (keep this in mind ;)). Grandma and her grandkid come walking across the Fantasyland bridge with a park map open. Being the great guy that I am, I ask her, "Ma'am, can we help you find anything?" She looks up from her map, looks at me, and says..."Where's the Magic Kingdom?" I look at my trainee like, "This's got to be a setup..." and I tell her, "Ma'am, you're *IN* the Magic Kingdom", and I kind of wave my arm around in a circle.
"Where's the Castle?"

Wow, how did you keep a straight face?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
You know I think if all the CM's pulled together stories like these, we could compile it into a book and we could have a National Bestseller. I mean, sometimes Guests are just....amazing.

MarkC
04-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Got to give credit where credit is due-- I work in customer relations and visit clients on a continual basis. I often end up giving the same presentation over and over and over. How do I do it and not keep getting bored? I use the Disney method; it may be my 1,000th time presenting it, but it's the 1st time that person is hearing it, and I know I've got to approach it that way. So, I end up using Disney values and training on my day to day work. And yes, it does help me think of Disney when I do it. Mark

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-29-2008, 10:06 AM
These are great!:D

They kind of remind me of when I used to be a P.O.
I constantly got questions like "How long is the parking in the two hour parking lot behind town?" Sorry, OT.;)

Tinkerfreak
04-29-2008, 10:07 AM
On our last trip we were in Epcot and there was a woman in a really short skirt smoking a cigarette. A nice CM came up to her politely and said "Mam there is a designated smoking area right over there". The woman looks at him like he had two heads and then said "oh ya" and proceeded to throw her cigarette on the ground and grind it to a pulp. The cm then says "mam there is also a waste basket right over there, again pointing her in the right direction. She then proceeds to bend over in her short miniskirt to pick up the cigarette. The cm's face turned all red and he just said "Thank you Mam enjoy your visit".
DD's still laugh about the nasty lady in the skirt we saw at Epcot. Not exactly what I take them 1200 miles to Epcot to see but I think they actually did learn something at Epcot about how not to behave.

joanna71985
04-29-2008, 10:08 AM
You know I think if all the CM's pulled together stories like these, we could compile it into a book and we could have a National Bestseller. I mean, sometimes Guests are just....amazing.

Ooo, I'm all for that!!:D

Ms.Disney
04-29-2008, 10:51 AM
About a year ago we (DH AND I) were on the monorail on our way to MK. This family, a mom, dad and three children (under 10). Were talking to another family mom dad grandma and 2 kids about 7 and 10. Anyway the dad from the first family proudly announces that they are all AP holders and have been for years. The grandma from the other family says " how often do you come?" the dad replied we come to Disneyland about 4 times a year.

At this point I was thinking ok so how often do they come here to Disney world, by that time were at the MK, the man and his family got of the monorail where he yells (with huge smile on his face) Disneyland here we come! :cool:

I hope that if I am vacationing somewhere I know where I am at:D

Greenheart22
04-29-2008, 10:55 AM
We were in MK to see the fireworks in early March. It took us almost 45 minutes to get to the trams. We had arrived late in the afternoon and knew that our car was parked in the last lot the tram would visit. After waiting for 3 trams we finally boarded a tram and all of us were not in a good mood. As we pulled away the cast member began singing the following:

Jumping up and down,
Jumping up and down,
Jumpin up and down in Magic Kingdom!

He had several different verses he would sing after the above chorus. By the time we reached our car the entire tram was singing along and in a great mood. It is now one of our favorite memories of a CM doing a little extra.
Greenheart22

joanakaylene
04-29-2008, 11:28 AM
this isn't something i overheard but a couple years ago i was in a summer production with a dancer who used to work at disney world before she got married.

she told me she was working one day and Jim Belushi was there smoking a cigar in the middle of the park. she went up to him and pointed out where the smoking areas were and asked if he could please put it out. he called her a..well..the b-word and walked off.

fast foward a few years, maybe six or seven and she and her daughter were on Good Morning America for winning a contest and she was standing in the green room and Jim Belushi walks in. she said she was so surprised, he said hi and then walked away. what are the odds?!

Septbride2002
04-29-2008, 11:28 AM
On this last trip was the first time I ever heard CM's talk about "work." I was in the Emporium buying a sweatshirt because it was getting cold and I couldn't tough it out anymore. So I"m standing at the register and there is one CM behind the counter and one on the front side and they are talking about their schedules. Like "Man I really wanted off on Friday, but Beth already has it off...." and "Did you see the calendar for next month yet?" And these weren't college programCM's these women were easily in their 50's. I was sort of annoyed.

I had a CM follow me through the Haunted Mansion (2004) freaking me out in the round room and then in the line to get in the car. Scared the **** out of me - TWICE. He was great!

~Amanda

WDWdriver
04-29-2008, 11:29 AM
This thread is not exactly on topic anymore. But if Main Street Jim is going to tell guest stories, then I guess I will add one of my own.

I was standing in the Asia section of AK one day when an older gentleman came up to me with a question. He asked if there was an attraction with jeeps or something where guests could see animals. I said "Yes, that would be Kilimanjaro Safari. You can find it in Africa", and I pointed the way. He looked disappointed and said, "Well I know they have them in Africa. I was hoping to find one here at Animal Kingdom."

I nearly choked trying to hold back my laughter.

Gottaluvgoof
04-29-2008, 11:38 AM
We were entering Epcot on 9/11 a couple years ago and the security CM told a man to open his bag. The man acted very insulted and asked, "What are you looking for?" The CM replied, "MOUSE TRAPS." I loved it! It was priceless. I'm not sure the man "Got it" but we were dying laughing.:haha:

JMTStone
04-29-2008, 12:42 PM
We were entering Epcot on 9/11 a couple years ago and the security CM told a man to open his bag. The man acted very insulted and asked, "What are you looking for?" The CM replied, "MOUSE TRAPS." I loved it! It was priceless. I'm not sure the man "Got it" but we were dying laughing.:haha:

Mouse traps?!?!?! I LOVE this:rotfl:

jillluvsdisney
04-29-2008, 01:43 PM
I was with my mother inside one the shops on Main Street in the MK. It was one next to the Confectionary. A CM was complaining to another one (in full ear shot of guests) how annoyed she was to have to go work a few hours in another store on Main Street. :confused:

offwego
04-29-2008, 08:37 PM
I've heard lots of funny things..but I've found the bus drivers are often some of the funniest.

We had one who even stopped the bus when the kids kept giving away his punch lines!

And to add to Main Street Jim's tale I had a guest walk up to me (a guest myself unless Intercot vetran of many trips is on my forehead in toursit only ink) and ask "what there is to do in here" apparently meaning all of MK. (at first I thought she meant the walkway up to the terrace noodle factory and the only thing I could think of was the restrooms).

You could have knocked me over with a feather!

The "children take your adults by the hand" line has always cracked me up, and Timon telling you to leave the theatre at FOLK is kinda funny too.

Von-Drake
04-30-2008, 07:46 AM
There has been a few times on the buses the drivers have gotten the children on board to sing anything from "The Wheels on the bus"... to "I Wanna Be Like You" from Jungle Book.

One of the bus drivers on our last trip was hilarious, we get ready to pull off and he turns around and asks everyone in the bus.. "hey, y'all wanna see what happens when I floor it?" Everyone yells "YEA" he turns around and stomps one foot really loud on the floor and presses the gas with his other one .. and we slowly move forward" everyone busted out laughing. He also kept telling all kind of the corniest jokes the whole ride.

boobalk
04-30-2008, 09:31 AM
AS you all know, waiting in line for any kind of transportation @ WDW can sometimes be a lengthy experience. Especially at the end of the day when EVERYONE is trying to leave. I remember back in '05 one night when we were leaving the MK heading back to the WL, we were waiting on the boat dock w/what seemed like hundreds of other people, for what seemed like a very long time, the gentleman CM there obvioulsy sensed the need for a distraction for the waiting guest, and so began a impromptu WDW trivia game, shouting out questions and inviting anyone w/answers to respond. It turned out to be the most pleasant waiting time I ever had, as I did in fact know quite a few of the answers, as did several others! I didin't catch his name, but we do know that he was retired USMC...SEMPER FI!! :thumbsup:

Arnold Simba
04-30-2008, 12:41 PM
This isn't a castmember funny story, but it's a complimentary one. Years ago, as I was leaving the MK at closing time, there was a family behind me as I was exiting the turnstiles. This big burly man suddenly stopped at the turnstiles and began cussing out the castmember standing there. The castmember had done nothing wrong; he was only directing people to the Monorail entrance, and wishing people good night. I don't know what the big man's problem was, but like I say, he was cussing out this kid with every 4-letter word imaginable, right in his face. All the while, the castmember stood calmly, saying things like "I'm sorry you feel that way, Sir" and "I wish there were something I could do to help you, Sir". Finally, the man's wife got him to leave, all the while the man looking back at the kid, still cussing and giving the finger. After he was gone, I went up to the castmember, introduced myself and shook his hand. I told him that his reactions and patience were commendable. He shyly grinned at me and said, "It's unfortunate when a guest is upset lilke that. I try to help, but when I cannot offer a solution, I try to listen." I asked him if I could re-enter the park, so that I could go to City Hall/Guest Relations and praise his actions to his superior. He said, "Thank you, Sir, but that's unnecessary." I said, "No, it's something I WANT to do, if you don't mind." He let me re-enter the park, and I did lodge a praise-worthy report at City Hall. The castmember who took my hand-written report told me that Disney relishes reports like that. I hope the kid got a raise - geez, I hope the kid becomes CEO of Disney!!

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
04-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I was with my mother inside one the shops on Main Street in the MK. It was one next to the Confectionary. A CM was complaining to another one (in full ear shot of guests) how annoyed she was to have to go work a few hours in another store on Main Street. :confused:

I would gladly take the shift from them.

Any day!

Chris :hatter:

ldc12377
04-30-2008, 01:16 PM
OH... I just thought of another one.
This one happened when we were standing in line for the Jungle Cruise. We were getting pretty close to the loading area after a fairly long wait. There was a lady in front of us in line that was talking to others in her group and didn't realize that the line was moving. She was the next person who was suppose to get on the boat but she just kept talking. Those of us around her had been trying to get her to notice that the line was being stopped by her but she must have been really into the story she was tell the others because none of them saw what was happening. Finally, a CM came over and spoke to the lady. The CM said, "Wow, you are the strongest person I have ever met?" When the lady asked why, the CM said, "Because you are holding up this whole line all by yourself!" The lady and her group finally looked around and saw what had happened and they all laughed. It was so funny!!

MOJoe
04-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Overheard on WDW transportation on our recent trip.

On a very crowded trip...
"Welcome to Disney's Wonderful World of Busses!"

On another ride....
"Does anyone know what E P C O T stands for?"
I say "Yes, Experimental Prototype Community of Tommorrow." to which the bus driver says...
"No Smarty. We all know around here it stands for Every Person Comes Out Tired!"

TheMartellFamily
04-30-2008, 05:27 PM
On the buses I heard them say the same thing as make sure you take all your belongings as for any children left with the bus will be sent to It's a Small World and feet nailed to the floor and learn how to sing in many foreign languges.

DakotaDisney
04-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Haven't heard a real voice on the monorail for quite sometime. Our 2 teenage DS's enjoyed a spiel several years ago. Can't remember what all was said except "Please take all your belongings and children as you exit the monorail. Any children not claimed after 30 days will become permanent exhibits in the Small World attraction"

I love that! That's hilarious!!! :funny:

MissMaryPoppins
04-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Last summer my family and I were waiting to go into the Hall of Presidents. When the castmember came out to tell us we could start going into the theater no one was listening to him. I was looking at something on the wall when I heard him yell "IT'S MY TIME!". The whole place got quiet and I couldn't helping laughing. There was a guy in front of me who starting clapping at the same time. His mother told him to stop and looked back at me laughing and tried to keep herself from laughing but couldn't help it. It was so unexpected that it was pretty funny.

Joy

browneyedgirl12
04-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Well one time we were on the bus from MK back to POR and all the while the bus driver was telling corny jokes and he told us all that we were all going to get free massage. When we get to POR he told us all to enjoy our massage, and here it is. He said that as soon as we went over the speed bumps. It was hilarious.

Another time we were getting off PoC and the CM who informs everybody to exit the boat started to sing and I quote " Yo ho yo ho get off my boat quickly". It was great. :mickey:

jszczur5
04-30-2008, 09:53 PM
The first time we went to AK a couple of years ago, it started to rain. I mean buckets of rain, the type of which I have only ever experienced in Florida in August. As the park started to empty out quickly, one of the CM's said to my kids (then 7 and 8), "Don't worry boys, that's not really rain, it's Disney special effects. Walt makes it special to cool off the animals. It's only raining in this part of the park"
My boys were so unsure, and really peered at the skies to determine if there was any chance that this were true. (Okay, so did I. Like I said, it was our first trip to AK, it kinda sounded plausible). Just then we were treated to the most spectacular display of lightning and thunder, and we all were convinced that not even Walt was that good.
With a totally straight face, the CM remarked that the effects that day were even better than usual.

fysh
05-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I remember several years ago while exiting a ride the voice on the speaker said,"Take small children by the hand" and a couple of ladies near us chimed together," and take your husbands by the throat" and then they giggled like schoolgirls. They made all of us laugh.:D

:fish:

jedi jen
05-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Wonderful CMs have been a daily regular occurance when I have visited WDW. Here are a couple that come to mind for this thread.

At the Great Movie Ride at DHS during night EMH, we were waiting, and typically heard the CM say right before a group got led into the boarding area, "Please refrain from . . . " this and that. Then after that happened a while, a CM said, "Please refrain from Everything". We laughed so hard.

Another time, I discovered I lost my camera on the way back from MK one day. Well me and the kids had to trudge back to MK (we were way tired which is one reason we left in the first place) to see if we could find it. Not only was it expensive, it had all my treasured WDW pictures from our trip so far--I was mortified. Anywho, we went to customer service, and it had been turned in by a CM (I left it at a store while my kids were pin trading). The CM was soo pleasant, understanding and uplifting. He got us in a great mood (and we were exhausted). He took a picture of himself with the camera--sporting a huge grin, Then he took a picture of relieved and happy again me and DS(8); DD(4) was asleep in her stroller for this diversion. I will not forget this moment. We were frazzled and at the end. CMs saved the day by getting my camera to customer service, and quickly I might add, and then helping us to find some magic to get us back in the best mood.

:mickey:

disnyfan4ever
05-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Mine isn't a funny story either but my highest praise to the CMs.

My story is from DLR. Last Spring, my DD21, her fiance, and my DD6 rode the Indiana Jones ride. It was my first time and I didn't notice the carrier in front of me for my backpack and I looped one of the handles of my backpack over my leg and off we went.

My DD6 was absolutely terrified to the point of not being able to breath. I was so focused on trying to hold her and get her thru the ride that I must have lifted my foot during one of the intense bumps/turns.

Needless to say, we came to the of the ride without the backpack. It had my life in it. My keys, my money, my credit cards, our tickets (need those FPs), EVERYTHING!!!

This was a the very first ride of the first day of a three day trip.

I tearfully notified a CM who had us take a seat nearby and he said he would see what he could do. It look him nearly 45 minutes and multiple attempts but between riding the ride in the exact seat I had in the jeep to watching multiple security cameras he managed to locate and get me my backpack. I, again, tearfully (this time in relief rather than panic) thanked him over and over and got his name and let him know that he just saved our entire trip! He modestly said it was no problem and we all went on our way. He probably never had another thought about it but he was in my thoughts the entire trip!!

I made a point of stopping by city hall and letting someone there know what had happened. I work in the customer service industry and know how quick everyone is to complain but slow to compliment. This CM and many other deserve the recognition and so much more!!!

Thank you to all of you that make our vacation all the more special!

Mickey Loves Golf
05-02-2008, 12:27 PM
As a bus driver I can honestly say I /we get asked some pretty strange questions...

I'll pull into a resort with MAGIC KINGDOM on the marquee...it never fails that someone will ask if I'm going to Downtown Disney...I always smile and say no, sorry I'm going to the Magic Kingdom and tell them their bus will be arriving shortly. It doesn't phase me but the guests on my bus always get a kick out of that.

Every CM has been asked this one....What time does the 3:00 pm parade start...If the guest seems friendly and in a good mood I'll reply 4:30...then ask where they plan on sitting for the parade and help them out.

One lady asked me as we arrived at TTC from Studios if that train in the sky would take her to Universal (she was serious)...I told her no, Walt DISNEY ran out of money after they got the Monorail beam to EPCOT here at WALT DISNEY WORLD...everyone on board laughed. She had a puzzled look on her face and then asked...ok when I get to EPCOT...is there a bus that will take me to Universal? :mickey:

I had a guy ask me if the bus would take him to Sea World. I said SUREEEE....but I will need your park ticket. He wanted to know why...I told him because when we get there, I want to be able to get in because when Disney fires me I want somewhere to spend the day...he laughed and realized what he asked me.

There was a family at All Star Movies (only guests in line) with a stroller all folded up and awaiting my arrival. When I pulled into the LZ, they all excitedly hopped on the bus but left the stroller in the queue. I looked at the dad and he looked at me. I then looked at the stroller and he said OH...can I throw that under the bus. I said if you want...and I'll even run it over for free. He cracked up and figured out that we don't have compartments under the bus and said sorry...I'll go get that.

I picked up 2 girls at Studios one time. Through conversation I found out they worked parking lot /trams for MK. I shut the door and was ready to go...but waited for a long time. Finally the girls asked me what I was waiting on...I looked at them and said...well of course I'm waiting on "DRIVER...we're clear to you." She laughed, and gave me the line...DRIVER...we're clear to you... I honked twice and took off...

A lady waiting for a bus to MK was furious that it was raining. When I entered the LZ she got on the bus and CHEWED me out because it was raining and demanded she get her money back. I told her I was sorry but Tinker Bell must have called in sick today...everyone on board laughed...so did the lady and she eventually apologized to me. I told her to have NO fear....thats not really rain - its LIQUID PIXIE DUST...guaranteed to never stain. She thanked me over and over when we got to the Kingdom.

I'm from Pittsburgh, PA and a HUGE Steelers fan. At least once a day I meet someone from Pittsburgh and we strike up a converstation about our beloved Steelers. One time a family from Pittsburgh got on board and saw Pittsburgh, PA on my name tag. They sat up front and talked to me the whole way. However, across the aisle from them sat a couple from Cleveland, OH - home of our bitter rivals the Cleveland Browns. The guest from Ohio was listening in on our conversation and making comments - rude at times....like he said he was amazed that someone from Pittsburgh could drive a bus blah blah blah and everyone on board was listening in...A young boy with the family from Pittsburgh noticed while we were at a light that a car with an Ohio plate had a Pittsburgh Steelers plate holder. The kid said hey mister look...pointed at the plate and they guy just made even more rude comments. So when we arrived at the MK, I welcomed everyone, please remain seated blah blah blah...I then introduced the family from Pittsburgh...Home of the 5 time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers...everone cheered. Then I said...by the way if you are from Cleveland...Please remain on board as I will be taking you directly back to Its A Small World where you will ride over and over until you come out waving a TERRIBLE TOWEL...every one laughed....the Cleveland Browns fan came up and shook my hand and said good one and walked away with a smile...

Some lines I've used...

At the Studios...when leaving the LZ I'll tell the guests to hang on tight, once I release the brake we are going to plunge 13 stories.

Folks, please watch your head and step as you exit the bus...if you forget to watch your head then please watch your language.

No matter how rude a guest may be...its never been hard to be nice. I like to do my job like Walt would have wanted it done....and in the end, the situations that come up make great stories to tell...soooooooooooooooo

HAVE A MAGICAL DAY :mickey:

Aurora
05-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Mickey Loves Golf, I want to ride your bus!!! :mickey:

What a memory you have! Great stories.

I love this thread!

JMTStone
05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm from Pittsburgh, PA and a HUGE Steelers fan.

GO STILLERS (In my best yunzer accent)

Mickey07
05-02-2008, 02:56 PM
This thread is amazing, I work at an ice cream place and I have to answer the same questions about whats in the different ice creams including vanilla hahaha.

Last year I was waiting in line for EE and some lady asked the CM where they found the yeti and how they keep it fed. The CM kinda looked at her if she was serious; then he just smiled said its part of the Disney magic.

And Mickey loves golf your stories are pretty amazing. :thumbsup:

biodtl
05-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Hey, Mickey Loves Golf - I don't know if you are the only driver from the Burgh or not, but when we were there in October 06, our very favorite driver (friendly, funny and fun) of the whole trip was Pittsburgh! Maybe it was you.

bobpfef
05-02-2008, 03:52 PM
We had a wonderful bus driver late one night at DTD. Our family was really tired and the bus was packed. We had to be separated so the kids could sit, while we were standing and pushed back farther in the bus. I was afraid they would get a bit scared, but the driver was making jokes and telling stories, and even though everyone was tired and a little cranky when they got on the bus they were all laughing and happy when they got off. I was truly wonderful.

I can't remember all the jokes. He made a bunch of Winnie the Pooh jokes that were a bit off color but the kids really enjoyed ;)

My favorite was: "Thanks you for flying on the bus today. We'll be cruise at a speed of 60 mph with an altitude of 16 inches"

the other micki
05-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Anyway the dad from the first family proudly announces that they are all AP holders and have been for years. The grandma from the other family says " how often do you come?" the dad replied we come to Disneyland about 4 times a year.

At this point I was thinking ok so how often do they come here to Disney world, by that time were at the MK, the man and his family got of the monorail where he yells (with huge smile on his face) Disneyland here we come! :cool:

Wow! He's there 4 times a year and he doesn't know it's called Disneyworld?! :funny:

limegreenmonorail
05-03-2008, 01:33 AM
When I worked front desk at AKL, I once had a lady come up to the front desk, dripping wet, furious because it had started pouring while she was at MK and they closed Dumbo before she could ride it.

Lady: "Why didn't you put up the dome?"
Me: "I'm sorry, what dome?"
Lady: "The big dome that covers all of Disney World. You're supposed to put it up when it rains."
Me: "You know, Disney World is 47 square miles. That would be an awfully big dome."
Lady: "I've seen it! It's supposed to keep it from NEVER raining in Disney, and now my vacation's ruined because of the rain!"
Me: "Oh, no, that's not rain. That's our promotional campaign for Finding Nemo. We want our guests to be able to enjoy that 'underwater' magic! Disney uses top secret technology to make millions of gallons of water fall from the sky like this, and you're lucky to be one of the few guests who get to experience it!"
Lady: "Oh! How amazing! Well, will the dome be back up tomorrow, then? I love how realistic the sun and the clouds look in the dome. How do they do that?"
Me: *sigh* "They're holograms, ma'am. Have a magical day!"

thejens
05-03-2008, 06:05 PM
I was very impressed by a CM who responded when my then 8 year old son hurt himself in AK. My son ran straight into one of the ropes that keep the lines in order. He hit it with his chest, his legs flew up, and he landed right on his head and back. The wind was knocked out of him to say the least. It was just one of those things, in no way the fault of Disney. I tried to comfort him and check him out and in moments a wonderful cast member helped us. I don't really remember all the details since I was worried at the time, but I recall how patient and caring he was. He guided us to sit down, called paramedics or some sort medical help, spoke very kindly to my son and I while distracting my son by pointing out hidden Mickey's and promising us a fast pass to the same ride (it was about closing time at the park and my son was worried he'd never get to go on the ride.) I remember after all the examinations of my son, who seemed to be okay, that he looked at me and asked "Mom, what do you think? How does he seem to you?" I thought this was a very respectful and wise question. After all, mothers know their children best. I work in a medical/service industry and find many medical staff forget this. He gave us an ice pack, instructions, and offered additional medical assistance and gave information about what to do if he seemed worse later. He gave us fast passes to EE in addition to the ride ?PW that we originally were in line for. I am sure Disney provides serious training about handling emergencies to prevent lawsuits, but this cast member turned the response into a real art. My son left the park beaming with his fast passes and new knowledge about hidden mickeys and I felt so grateful to the man who turned a bad situation into yet another moment of Disney magic. My son was fine, by the way.

pdrlkr
05-04-2008, 09:37 AM
These are great! :funny:

ligirlz
05-04-2008, 09:34 PM
When I worked front desk at AKL, I once had a lady come up to the front desk, dripping wet, furious because it had started pouring while she was at MK and they closed Dumbo before she could ride it.

Lady: "Why didn't you put up the dome?"
Me: "I'm sorry, what dome?"
Lady: "The big dome that covers all of Disney World. You're supposed to put it up when it rains."
Me: "You know, Disney World is 47 square miles. That would be an awfully big dome."
Lady: "I've seen it! It's supposed to keep it from NEVER raining in Disney, and now my vacation's ruined because of the rain!"
Me: "Oh, no, that's not rain. That's our promotional campaign for Finding Nemo. We want our guests to be able to enjoy that 'underwater' magic! Disney uses top secret technology to make millions of gallons of water fall from the sky like this, and you're lucky to be one of the few guests who get to experience it!"
Lady: "Oh! How amazing! Well, will the dome be back up tomorrow, then? I love how realistic the sun and the clouds look in the dome. How do they do that?"
Me: *sigh* "They're holograms, ma'am. Have a magical day!"

OMG no this guest didn't. Was she really serious? You handled it very well and I would not have a straight face with that one. Even though we all wish Disney would do that.

I love all these stories. Keep them coming.

Alligirl
05-04-2008, 10:26 PM
I was sitting in the front of one of the boats that take you from MK to WL and it was not very crowded. On of the few other people on the boat asked a CM about park closing hours, he said he wasn't sure and he would check. He asked the CM "driving" the boat who was also unsure. I myself had just looked up the info so I shared it with them. I was also wearing my "guest name badge" so he thanked me and then started to amuse everyone with lets try to stump "Allison the well informed guest"! He turned the rest of the trip into a fun trivia game giving out Mickey stickers for prizes! It was too much fun!

Tinkerfreak
05-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Mickey Loves Golf, I want to ride your bus!!! :mickey:

What a memory you have! Great stories.

I love this thread!

Me too, I want to ride your bus. I love getting a bus driver who you can tell enjoys their job, it just gets you in that magical mood.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Inside the Emporium, we have this giant Castle display that's inside of a dome. A guest asked me what was up with it and I replied that it was the weather dome.

I proceeded to say that it contained little misters to spray water for rain and it had AC in it so they could drop the temperature to a colder setting. That way, when Disney isn't making enough money, we can sell ponchos and jackets.

The guest turned to me and said, "Well, is it going to rain today? Because we really want to see the parade."

"No sir, I'm sorry but that information in confidental."

He sighed and walked away, saying how he hopes we don't make it rain.

MushuGrl
05-05-2008, 10:53 AM
You cast members are a special breed of human. I enjoy seeing you just as much as I enjoy the parks themselves!

Don't know if this counts, as it wasn't on site, but a cast member at the Magical Express counter at the Orlando Airport reminded me where I was! We'd had a bad morning - we had to leave home at 4 a.m. in order to make the two hour drive to the airport - halfway there, we had a blow-out. We had to make the remainder of the trip on a spare, which slowed us up. Before take-off, a storm hit, which made the flight pretty turbulent (I don't fly well). Needless to say, by the time we got to Orlando, we were tense, tired, dirty, and hungry. Arriving, we saw the line for the Magical Express was extremely long.

As I take my place at the end of said long line, resigned to wait forever, a friendly cast member strolls to the back, gives me a BIG smile and says.... "Hi! Welcome to your first Disney line!"

I couldn't HELP but laugh! It was all uphill from there!

TigChatt
05-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Inside the Emporium, we have this giant Castle display that's inside of a dome. A guest asked me what was up with it and I replied that it was the weather dome.

I proceeded to say that it contained little misters to spray water for rain and it had AC in it so they could drop the temperature to a colder setting. That way, when Disney isn't making enough money, we can sell ponchos and jackets.

The guest turned to me and said, "Well, is it going to rain today? Because we really want to see the parade."

"No sir, I'm sorry but that information in confidental."

He sighed and walked away, saying how he hopes we don't make it rain.

Ok thats priceless! That was great!!

Calixar
05-05-2008, 12:42 PM
First time at MK... looking for Splash Mountain and apparently gone blind, I stopped and asked three young guys in CM uniforms if they could tell me how to get there... mind, I was interrupting a conversation they were having.
As if it was something planned out, the guy in the middle pointed and said with a smile, "It's that way," and they all sang in unison, "just around the river-bend."

I turned 40 early this year, and it is firmly my intent (especially after reading this thread) to "retire" to DisneyWorld, and spend the rest of my life working there when I turn 50.

Narawen
05-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Going along with the clueless guest theme:

Several years ago when I was little my mom and I were walking into the MK in the morning behind a family. Near the entrace were a bunch of characters were hanging out, interacting with some guests, etc. The guy starts pointing out characters to his son and points to Tigger saying "...and there's Tony the Tiger". We still laugh about it.

DisneyFanaticDargon
05-07-2008, 09:37 AM
I have seen the same thing at Snow White's Scariest adventures. It seems the tourists are so hung upon getting to their next attraction, that they don't pay attention. The CM's just smile. What else can you do??:bang::bang::bang:

When I used to work at Big Thunder Mountain you'd see a lot of this...people trying to get out on the wrong side. What always amazed me about it though was that on one side you have the exit: a nice big open platform with nobody standing on it except for the occasional disabled guest. On the other side you have: rows of gates...with dozens of people behind them. I can't tell you how many people chose the latter and then look bewildered and puzzled as to how to exit. Sometimes they even came dangerously close to entering cast member only areas or attempting to cross between the train cars (a big no-no) in their panic to find the exit.

crltkcagle
05-07-2008, 10:25 AM
These Are Great Stories!

laward32
05-07-2008, 01:02 PM
On another ride....
I say "Yes, Experimental Prototype Community of Tommorrow." to which the bus driver says...
"No Smarty. We all know around here it stands for Every Person Comes Out Tired!"
We must of had that same bus driver in Oct. when he picked us up from Epcot.:mickey:

Mickey Loves Golf
05-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Sorry...I thought of another one...:D Some other bus drivers and I were talking and I remembered this one...

I picked up a bunch of guests at the All Star Sports resort. One of those guests, named Bill, had on a Birthday button. He was in his mid to late 30's and I could tell he was just LOVING that his wife made him wear the button. Still he seemed like he would have a good time with it.

So all the guests board and I pull away and do my speil. I announce that we have a very important guest on board...his name is Bill and its his birthday. I had the entire bus sing Happy Birthday to Bill. Bill was dying but OK with it. I heard him thank is wife (sarcastically). Upon arriving at the Magic Kingdom she came up and thanked me over and over but Bill said, "No offense but I hope I never see you again." I laughed and off they went.

Later that evening...I arrived at the Magic Kingdom and was dispatched to All Start Sports. I get off my bus to greet my guests and GUESS WHO IS IN THE QUEUE? YEP...it was Bill and his family. (I can't explain how great the odds are of this happening) Bill's wife and kids CHEERED when they saw me. However, Bill groaned...LOL and covered up his Birthday Button in hopes that I would forget his name. NOT ME...mind of a steel trap. He boards the bus and is kinda mumbling but his wife is begging me to do it all over again so she can video tape it. I asked Bill if that would be ok and he sighed and said SURE why not. LOL SOOOOOO I pull away, do my speil, and tell everyone that I have a VERY good friend of mine on board. We met about 7 hours ago and it just so happens to be his BIRTHDAY! So we all sang to Bill again. I then explained how earlier in the day Bill was on my bus and how we all sang to him and how fate would have it I got to do it again for him. They whole bus cheered and had a great time...even Bill.

When we got to the resort, Bill was the first one off and he and his family stopped and thanked me...I told him I hope I saw him tomorrow. He said he didn't care because it wouldn't be his birthday tomorrow. I smiled and said, "AHHH but here at Disney World we celebrate your very merry UNBIRTHDAY!!!!" Everyone on the bus laughed and sang "A very merry unbirthday to Bill"

All in a days "work"...:mickey:

OH...EPCOT has a few other meanings...among some CM's

Employee Payday Comes On Thursday
Employee Polyester Costumes of Terror

cal5755
05-07-2008, 09:56 PM
That is just too much fun!!! I hope we get a bus driver half as fun as you.... We have not had a fun bus driver in 2 trips......

I love your stories and I hope you think of more to share :mickey:

xoHelloKittyox
05-09-2008, 12:24 AM
On another ride....

Every Parent Carrys Out Toddler

Every Pocket Comes Out Torn ;)
I love that game :)

Bus rides are always the best!

:cloud9: oh how I miss Disney!

laprana
05-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Mickey Loves Golf, I really hope we get you as a bus driver during our upcoming trip! :mickey: Thanks for your great stories! Sounds like you really go the extra mile to make guests laugh and have a good time! Hope we get to see you in 20 days!! :thumbsup:

lindique
05-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Every Parent Carrys Out Toddler

Every Pocket Comes Out Torn ;)
I love that game :)

Bus rides are always the best!

I heard something similar on the airport bus about what MCO stands for - Mickey's Corporate Office!:D

TikiGoddess
05-12-2008, 07:42 PM
These are great! Laugh out loud funny. I'll have to ask my ex-CM husband if he's got any good stories...

TikiG