PDA

View Full Version : Flag Ceremony in MK

Tinkermom07
04-28-2008, 08:48 AM
My DGF is a vet, and I want to get her into the closing flag ceremony in MK on our trip. I know you have to go to city hall to sign up, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually been in the ceremony, or watched it, and can tell me exactly what will be expected of her? Do they actually participate, or are they just standing in the guard?

BritCody
04-28-2008, 09:55 AM
We did this for my father over a year or so ago. He walks with a cane and they asked if he could go without it for the ceremony and he did. When he did it. My father and the Color Guard started out below the train station. They marched across the street to the flag pole. My father and the color guard saluted the flag as it was lowered and after it was lowered they turned while 2 of the color guard folded the flag. They then gave the flag to my father to hold (you give the flag back) and they announced him Veteran for the Day. Then my father and the Color Guard turned and starting marching down Mainstreet and they made a right onto the side street part way down Mainstreet. Here they presented my father with a certificate and a pin naming him Veteran for a Day. They then take the flag and the photo pass photographer gives you the photo pass card and you can go get a free 5x7 that they took of the event.

kakn7294
04-28-2008, 01:34 PM
We watched this ceremony in Dec 2006 - it's very moving! There is a bit of participation expected of the veteran chosen - BritCody's description is pretty good. I imagine it would be quite an honor for any vet to be chosen. Good luck!

Tinkermom07
04-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the wonderful description, that's just what I was looking for...but chosen? It's a lottery? Oh no! I thought it was like a first come, first serve kind of thing. Could you tell me what I've got to do to get her on the list?

I've been crying at flag ceremonies since I was a kid in girl scouts--this one is going to be a killer!

kakn7294
04-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the wonderful description, that's just what I was looking for...but chosen? It's a lottery? Oh no! I thought it was like a first come, first serve kind of thing. Could you tell me what I've got to do to get her on the list?

I've been crying at flag ceremonies since I was a kid in girl scouts--this one is going to be a killer!Actually, I think it is first-come, first-served. I probably misused the word chosen. We've never participated, only watched so I don't really know for sure but it's my understanding that you just need to show up in City Hall ASAP when the park opens to be the first one there and be "chosen".

BritCody
04-28-2008, 03:44 PM
You have to go to City Hall and ask about participation. When I did this for my father it was a Friday night that we went to the MK on our first day of a 10 day vacation. The Cast Member brought out a schedule book and then asked me what day would he be able to participate in. I think there was two open slots remaining during the time we were on vacation. So I booked him for the following Friday. They took his name and I believe branch of service and they told me to have him at the Flag Pole by 4:45 on that day. When we did it, we suprised my father and as Kathy stated it is very moving. I had people coming up to me telling me to thank my father for helping keep our country free and just thanking him through me. Also take lots of pictures and hopefully your camcorder will not go on the blink as ours did that day. If the band is involved there is also family/friend participation. As the band marched down Mainstreet , my father and the color guard followed and we (the family) had to follow down Mainstreet also, part of as they put it a mini parade. The marching band doesn't always participate or that was what I was told back then. Maybe things have changed..... Good luck and don't forget take tons of photos

Marilyn Michetti
04-28-2008, 05:09 PM
I was Veteran of the Day on Dec. 14th 2004, which was a Tues. We arrived on Sunday, went to City Hall, and asked if there were any days available. We we were told to report to the flagpole at 4:30 for a brief rehearsal, and to be a "parade rest" by 4:55.

It was a moving thing for me to get to do. My name and branch of service was announced after the flag was folded and placed in my hands. I was marched off to the left where pictures were taken. I was given a certificate and a "Veteran of the Day" pin. There was a time, (I think), that the veteran got to keep the flag, but when they started showing up on E-bay, that stopped.

It's first come, first serve, so go ask. If you're chosen, it's something you'll never forget.:flag:

KellAnneL
04-28-2008, 05:14 PM
My ex-husband did this when we were at the MK celebrating him returning from 18 month deployment in Afghanistan in Sept 05. Someone earlier described it perfectly. Main Street Jim (haven't seen him here lately...) helped us arrange it.

Especially upon his return from deployment, I cried like a baby. It is very touching and moving, and they ask you not to sell your Veteran pin.

The experience was one that even though we've been through a divorce and deployment, one that I look upon fondly. Do it if you can, you won't regret it!

Tinkermom07
04-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Oh! This is actually better --we'll be stopping in MK late on the day of our arrival just to get a first timer pin, birthday pin, and DDE to be ready for our first full day at the parks. Being able to schedule the flag ceremony is awesome, we'll be there for three weeks, so we've got a pretty good shot at something being open.

Thanks for the info!

yjgirl715
04-29-2008, 11:13 AM
That would be such a cool thing to do for my DFIL. This will be his first time in Disney (or any real vacation) and we will be there for his birthday too! Awesome- thank you so much. I hope it all works out for us and for the others that are thinking of doing this. Thanks again for the info.