PDA

View Full Version : cheerleaders

SpaceMtn101
04-27-2008, 04:47 PM
I just thought i would share this experience that i had this weekend at mk withe the cheerleaders that were at the parks. We went to the parks for a little bit yesterday. We went on HM and of course i got almost tripped by a stupid cheerleader. (Mind u i twisted my ankle so i was hopping and in a wheel chair for the day) but what got even worse is when we were BTM waiting to get on. They load wheelchair parties on the side where people exit the ride. I was sitting there with my foot kinda of resting on my other ankle and sticking out but not enough to where it was in the way and 2 of the cheerleaders in the group decided to try to run pass others and one jumped over me and almost hit me. All i thought was how rude they were and thought how they have no manners and respect.

I just thought i would share this so if anyone tries to plan a trip around cheerleader time ... u can see what to expect

Belle1217
04-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Sorry for what happened to you but I don't think its fair to group all cheerleaders together. I know plenty of cheerleaders who are very respectful. I think it is all about the way a person is raised.

RockinRollerMom
04-27-2008, 10:24 PM
I agree that it is best not to judge a group by the actions of a few. However, I have had some negative experience with cheerleaders myself at Disney. Last trip we stayed at POFQ. We must have hit the last few days of popwarner at the end of our trip because the the last few days there were tons of cheerleaders at the resort. In general it wasn't too bad, but I could have done without them doing LOUD cheers in the courtyard early in the morning. Next trip we are trying CSR. Besides wanting to try a new resort, we are hoping to miss the cheerleaders.

SpaceMtn101
04-27-2008, 10:54 PM
that was the worse of them but we had issues with different groups at both mk and studios and we were minding our own buisness.

i do know there are the few who are above the norm and treat ppl great and do have respect but on avg most do not.

this was not my fiest dealing with them but it seems like each time i do they get worse and worse

Gator
04-28-2008, 12:03 AM
My experiences with them on both occasions come down to this: they're great unless you run into them. ;)

Mickey91
04-28-2008, 12:37 AM
We ran into cheerleaders repeatedly during Pop Warner in 2006. They were mostly obnoxious and rude. One group traveled in a line, not front to back, but side to side. With no where else to go, I had to go straight through the middle of them. They made very rude and not so nice remarks as if I was the one out of place. When going between Fantasyland and Liberty Square, the only place left was to climb a wall.:mad: There should be some kind of restrictions put on these groups. I know these kids are just trying to have a good time, and many groups are capable of doing so without interupting the fun of others. But for some reason, the cheerleaders all seem to think they own the place. At the very least, restrictions should be placed on groups who cannot behave. I'm not sure how they would go about it, but I sure wish something could be done.

KineGirl
04-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Ive had my share of run ins (like the wall the poster above ran into) one year but I have to admit that I noticed that most of these groups of girls were unchaperoned. Large groups of teens unchaperoned on a WDW and competition high seem like a recipe for wackiness no matter what the sport. Ive seen groups of kids from other countries (with the flags) - chaperoned. The boys football teams - chaperoned. Maybe I just wasnt paying attention but for some reason it seems like the cheerleaders were pretty much on their own ... all 3000 of them .. together! LOL Anyhoo I dont think its strictly a cheerleader thing - I think its a "no adult who we think can tell us what to do and we're in WDW... competing!!!!" group of teens thing. Im no judge but I can safely say those girls lack no enthusiasm & energy! All said and done though Id rather not deal with Pop Warner if it can be helped.

SurferStitch
04-28-2008, 06:12 AM
Well, this is coming from a former cheerleader (2 yrs Jr. High, 4 years HS, 1 year PSU - too much time taken away from studies to keep cheering in college), so take it for what it's worth...

I will agree that for the most part, a group of cheerleaders can be very obnoxious. They love attention, and love to be like "look at me!!!!". Now, I won't proclaim to be perfect, but they even got on my nerves when I was a cheerleader (even my own squad). I was all for cheering, but not while walking around in a crowd. My parents taught me to be respectful and caring toward others, so I acted the same way whether I was in a group of kids, or with my parents.

They think they're being cool.....but they're just looking like a bunch of obnoxious children.

I encountered the rudeness several times, mostly while waiting in lines for rides or buses. They just couldn't understand the concept of waiting your turn. Oh yeah.....the mile-wide lines of them where also quite annoying. They had no problem taking up the entire walkway, and hated for anyone to break-up their line.

Granted, not all act like this, but there seem to be enough to make many of them look bad.

Magic Smiles
04-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Ive had my share of run ins (like the wall the poster above ran into) one year but I have to admit that I noticed that most of these groups of girls were unchaperoned. Large groups of teens unchaperoned on a WDW and competition high seem like a recipe for wackiness no matter what the sport. Ive seen groups of kids from other countries (with the flags) - chaperoned. The boys football teams - chaperoned. Maybe I just wasnt paying attention but for some reason it seems like the cheerleaders were pretty much on their own ... all 3000 of them .. together! LOL Anyhoo I dont think its strictly a cheerleader thing - I think its a "no adult who we think can tell us what to do and we're in WDW... competing!!!!" group of teens thing. Im no judge but I can safely say those girls lack no enthusiasm & energy! All said and done though Id rather not deal with Pop Warner if it can be helped.

Our experience with the Cheerleaders Dec 07 was just as bad as everyone elses. To top it off the chaperones that we did come across were just as bad as the kids.

wire0monkey
04-28-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience.

I've been to WDW during a huge cheerleader event, though, and had no troubles with the girls at all. Most of them were polite, well spoken young ladies who were very nice to my children.

I hate to see people expect to have a bad experience around these groups, because I think that attitude translates to the girls. If you EXPECT them to act like obnoxious teenagers, then they do. If you expect them to act like poised young ladies, they act like posed young ladies. It's a kind of magic.

Seriously, though, I see adults act rudely to teenage groups in the parks all the time. Yes, they tend to be giggly and loud. But at the same time, it doesn't hurt to say "Excuse me," (in a kind tone of voice!) when you're trying to cross through them.

It also doesn't hurt to watch where you're going when there's a ton of energetic, bouncy young people around. Usually when too people run into each other or trip over each other, there's two people to blame.

Again, I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. And you're right. If teenagers bug someone, it's best to plan around the periods where there will be lots of them in the parks.

Disney Doll
04-28-2008, 03:04 PM
We usually go to the World in Feb when the cheer and dance competitions are taking place and although we have run into large groups at the resorts and at the parks it's never really been a problem. Yes they are somewhat giggly and energetic, but not rude. They had a good time and it was nice to see them enjoying the Disney magic. I know my nephew enjoyed watching the girls in the pool. :blush: All large groups are bound to be a little loud, but IMHO the cheerleaders were not too bad. I know there are different cheer competitions going on year round so maybe the groups that go in Feb are different.

DisneyTwirler13!
04-28-2008, 05:01 PM
We always seem to run into at least one group of cheerleaders or dancers or something like that. Normally, they're all huddled together like a football team, laughing and joking in their matching outfits. But once, we were in line for BTM, and we were on the first downhill part of the line, (where the person collects fastpasses) and there was a group of cheerleaders in front of us, behind us, and up on the walkway above us there was a group of boys, and they were all shouting to one another, and shoving us over so they could stand next to their friends, and being very rude and nasty to those in their way(mainly us, and another family with two smaller children).
Now, being a baton twirler (which is not that far off from a cheerleader, but except for some major differences), I know that performers want to have people be looking at them and admiring them, like SurferStich said. We've gone to the parks in one huge group, and we acted kind of goofy, but tried to stay out of peoples way, and to stay off peoples nerves (mainly our mothers and our coach... ;)). But we were never like this! Even some of the obnoxious cheerleaders at my school don't act like that! :mad:
Sorry for ranting a little...:blush:

Tigerinvestigator
04-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Nothing better than being on a crowded bus headed back to the resort after a long hot day at the parks and a getting the free sample of their routine at the front of the bus. I must say those smiles, loud voices, and spirit fingers can anger the most passive Disney guest at 1am on the ride back to Pop Century!:thedolls:

But then they make up for it and wake you up at 6am cheering in the resort courtyard!:cheer:

Note to self: DELUXE RESORTS ARE MUCH QUIETER.:thumbsup:

dizknee531
04-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Well, this is coming from a former cheerleader (2 yrs Jr. High, 4 years HS, 1 year PSU - too much time taken away from studies to keep cheering in college), so take it for what it's worth...

I will agree that for the most part, a group of cheerleaders can be very obnoxious. They love attention, and love to be like "look at me!!!!". Now, I won't proclaim to be perfect, but they even got on my nerves when I was a cheerleader (even my own squad). I was all for cheering, but not while walking around in a crowd. My parents taught me to be respectful and caring toward others, so I acted the same way whether I was in a group of kids, or with my parents.

They think they're being cool.....but they're just looking like a bunch of obnoxious children.

I encountered the rudeness several times, mostly while waiting in lines for rides or buses. They just couldn't understand the concept of waiting your turn. Oh yeah.....the mile-wide lines of them where also quite annoying. They had no problem taking up the entire walkway, and hated for anyone to break-up their line.

Granted, not all act like this, but there seem to be enough to make many of them look bad.
:ditto:I have encountered this too!! My daughter is a cheerleader and I have always taught her to be respectful of others, especially because she is a CHEERLEADER!!:cheer::cheer: She represents a group of ATHLETES .They should be professional, especially if they are at a competetion.
It's a shame some of them just RUIN it for others. makes you think twice about when you book reservations.:(:(

Here we go again...
04-28-2008, 11:10 PM
I just thought i would share this experience that i had this weekend at mk withe the cheerleaders that were at the parks. We went to the parks for a little bit yesterday. We went on HM and of course i got almost tripped by a stupid cheerleader. (Mind u i twisted my ankle so i was hopping and in a wheel chair for the day) but what got even worse is when we were BTM waiting to get on. They load wheelchair parties on the side where people exit the ride. I was sitting there with my foot kinda of resting on my other ankle and sticking out but not enough to where it was in the way and 2 of the cheerleaders in the group decided to try to run pass others and one jumped over me and almost hit me. All i thought was how rude they were and thought how they have no manners and respect.

I usually do not even respond to these posts because I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I hate to see when things get heated.
But, you are pretty new to the board and I just want to say a little something here....

You say "i got almost tripped by a stupid cheerleader"... Did she or didn't she trip you?

I have been to the parks many times and have had to deal with the groups of cheerleaders (and my own dancers) and know they can be loud and overbearing if not kept in line. Our school would not allow us to return if we let our kids run loose.

However, if you were in a wheelchair or hopping, is it possible that they did not see you and it was a complete accident? I say this because I have to spend many hours in a scooter in Disney World. I have been run into, tripped over, had people fall on me... you name it.
I would not call them stupid though... it just comes with being in a World where there is more to see by looking up.

Hopefully the trip got better for you.

Young@Heart
04-29-2008, 12:37 AM
I'm sorry this happened to you.
I agree w/ PP that it might not be a "cheerleader" thing and just more of an "unchaperoned teen" thing. I pride myself on my 13 yo's manners, but I'm sure if he was allowed to run around WDW w/ his friends, w/out an adult present, that group mentality would kick in and they'd all start acting like rude kids! ;)

SpaceMtn101
04-29-2008, 03:09 AM
I usually do not even respond to these posts because I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I hate to see when things get heated.
But, you are pretty new to the board and I just want to say a little something here....

You say "i got almost tripped by a stupid cheerleader"... Did she or didn't she trip you?

I have been to the parks many times and have had to deal with the groups of cheerleaders (and my own dancers) and know they can be loud and overbearing if not kept in line. Our school would not allow us to return if we let our kids run loose.

However, if you were in a wheelchair or hopping, is it possible that they did not see you and it was a complete accident? I say this because I have to spend many hours in a scooter in Disney World. I have been run into, tripped over, had people fall on me... you name it.
I would not call them stupid though... it just comes with being in a World where there is more to see by looking up.

Hopefully the trip got better for you.

well the incident at HM is funny because they had a person with them who was in wheel chair with a broken foot that was all casted and so they should have understood they were not the only ones there when they took all the ppl in line in at once and they still were running all over the place like they were the only ones there.... so yes they did see me they just didn't care....
at BTM they saw me too cuz you cant miss me but when you literally jump and come off the ground i cant think the argument that you didn't see me is a logical argument because you had to have seen me to jump ...
and yes i may be new to this board but i am not new to Disney ... i have dealt a lot with the cheerleaders before and i just try to ignore them but it was a little hard this time ....

i do know that there are those mom who do teach their kids manner and keep them in line and trust me on cheer nights only at mk when i worked it ... i was happy for when those groups came through and didn't hassle us ... but most groups don't care and think that there are the only ones there and that they don't have to respect rules, lines, or other people.
Yes there are always going to be times when you go to Disney and there are going to be inconveniences but when it interrupts your stay or even your day it has gone too far.

Here we go again...
04-29-2008, 04:06 AM
well the incident at HM is funny because they had a person with them who was in wheel chair with a broken foot that was all casted and so they should have understood they were not the only ones there when they took all the ppl in line in at once and they still were running all over the place like they were the only ones there.... so yes they did see me they just didn't care....
at BTM they saw me too cuz you cant miss me but when you literally jump and come off the ground i cant think the argument that you didn't see me is a logical argument because you had to have seen me to jump ...
and yes i may be new to this board but i am not new to Disney ... i have dealt a lot with the cheerleaders before and i just try to ignore them but it was a little hard this time ....

i do know that there are those mom who do teach their kids manner and keep them in line and trust me on cheer nights only at mk when i worked it ... i was happy for when those groups came through and didn't hassle us ... but most groups don't care and think that there are the only ones there and that they don't have to respect rules, lines, or other people.
Yes there are always going to be times when you go to Disney and there are going to be inconveniences but when it interrupts your stay or even your day it has gone too far.

You may be right, they might have seen you and just did not care. I am always the one that hopes it is just a fluke that I can pass off as bad judgement and hope it does not happen again. Over the years I have become more patient with other kids... just remembering that I can knock my own knucklehead a good whap when ever she crosses the line.

I have learned that it is not one group though. I know some sweet cheerleaders that would never do those things... but I also know some Christian Church groups that would kick you when you are dowm.
I guess there is no answer... Just treat others as you want to be treated, and try to make them smile. No matter what

Imagineer1981
04-29-2008, 04:01 PM
unfortunately if you get a group of kids together, whether its cheerleaders or boyscouts, they will be rude and crazy if there is no adult guide with them

garymacd
04-30-2008, 05:41 PM
I just don't get the whole cheerleader thing. We never needed them at hockey games.

Highly decorative, yes indeedy; but...

Nope. I just don't get it.

:confused:

pink
04-30-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm sorry you had a bad experience but it could have happened with anyone and not just because they're cheerleaders. I went when I was younger with my dance team and I found that whenever we all traveled in a group (except we had many chaperons) it just automatically noisy because of the size of the group, we were not trying to be disrespectful in any way. Being at the happiest place on Earth, competing with something that you love and getting to enjoy the experience with your good friends- sometimes all that excitment just gets the better of you. However, I understand how most people feel about cheerleaders/dance groups because after awhile of walking around with all of them my mom and I had to seperate ourselves because it was just way to hard to deal with that many people in WDW. :mickey:

gerald72
04-30-2008, 06:47 PM

I just thought i would share this so if anyone tries to plan a trip around cheerleader time ... u can see what to expect

How dare that cheerleader almost almost trip you, and another almost touch you!! They should know that you should be given at least a 10-foot clearance. How rude of them to go to the same attraction as you.

Buttercup
04-30-2008, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't lump every cheerleader into the "rude" or "stupid" category.
Perhaps you just noticed it more on this trip because you were feeling more combersome in your wheelchair with a sore ankle.
I'm sure folks who are in wheelchairs all the time experience all kinds of people running over them etc. - not just cheerleaders.
I know I've accidentally run into people in wheelchairs because they're simply lower than my regular line-of-sight. Yes, I have done this in a fit of silly excitement at WDW... and I'm 30 years old... not a 15 year old cheerleader.

I'm, of course, apologetic, if I do it.
So at WORST, these girls maybe should have said a "Whoops! Sorry!" on their way by. I don't think you can blame anybody toooooo much for being excited and giddy at the happiest place on earth.

Magic Smiles
04-30-2008, 06:59 PM
unfortunately if you get a group of kids together, whether its cheerleaders or boyscouts, they will be rude and crazy if there is no adult guide with them

Unfortunately I have to disagree with this statement. I know many kids that would not and do not behave this way just because there is a group of them with no chaperones.
As previously stated, my experience with the cheerleaders in Dec was that the chaperones that I happened upon were just as bad as the girls.

SpaceMtn101
05-01-2008, 04:23 PM
I guess ive always been taught to respect people and if i am in a place where i cant get through i say excuse me and not push my way through like they did on sat.
I just wish disney would put rules on cheerleaders like they do on grad night. You do anything that gets u kicked out of the park and you do not graduate.
How come they cant have some rule like that with the cheerleader? You do anything like that and you dont compete? Maybe then there will be some respect.
Ive seen lots of different groups with and without chaperones in Disney and cheerleaders are the worse.