PDA

View Full Version : Okay, What's a GAC?

Hull-onian
04-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Could I have gotten a GAC for my grandson had I known about it? He has mental problems and physical problems. It is a really bad combo. My DD and I tried our best to make sure that he enjoyed his trip. He made 85 percent of it swimming and the rest for the parks. I know Disney is more than accomodating. We would have appreciated any help we could have gotten. Kinda late now, but maybe next time.

BandMan
04-30-2008, 01:18 PM
A GAC is a Guest Assistance Card. They are for individuals who have specail circumstances that make it difficult for them to wait in long lines. We have gotten GAC's for my two sons because they are autistic and it allows us to skip the long lines, which can be very difficult for them.

There has been a geat deal of discussion here on Intercot on who ought to receive a GAC and who should not. My feeling is that if it's possible to be in line with the help of a wheelchair or other physical help, then one really doesn't need a GAC. However, only you can make that determination. Disney apparently has had some fraud connected with these cards, so they are being more cautious in issuing them.

Dznygrl79
06-26-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't know if the GAC has changed recently but I had to get one in 2005 because I forgot my hearing aid at home. I didn't skip lines but it let the line attendents know I couldn't hear them and needed to be visually instructed?
Has the GAC had a revamp recently, I have remembered my hearing aids every trip since then and not needed one.

tinkerbellybutton
06-27-2008, 03:43 AM
They are for individuals who have specail circumstances that make it difficult for them to wait in long lines. We have gotten GAC's for my two sons because they are autistic and it allows us to skip the long lines, which can be very difficult for them.
.... My feeling is that if it's possible to be in line with the help of a wheelchair or other physical help, then one really doesn't need a GAC.

At the risk of being flamed I felt the need to speak up. I think that is a little judgmental.
I could make the argument that you should only be allowed to use fast passes for the 6 of you to get on rides, because only 2 of you are disabled. Or that your DW should have to sit with the boys somewhere quiet while you wait in line and then someone could come get her when you reach the head of the line.
My DS has an autism spectrum disorder and S.I.D. so severly that he basically passes out(goes to sleep instantly to block it out) when the fire alarm goes of at school. However I would never say that he should not have to wait his turn.
Judge not lest ye be judged. There are many, many reasons why someone might need a GAC. But that's just my :twocents:

Marilyn Michetti
06-27-2008, 08:31 PM
At the risk of being flamed I felt the need to speak up. I think that is a little judgmental.
I could make the argument that you should only be allowed to use fast passes for the 6 of you to get on rides, because only 2 of you are disabled. Or that your DW should have to sit with the boys somewhere quiet while you wait in line and then someone could come get her when you reach the head of the line.
My DS has an autism spectrum disorder and S.I.D. so severly that he basically passes out(goes to sleep instantly to block it out) when the fire alarm goes of at school. However I would never say that he should not have to wait his turn.
Judge not lest ye be judged. There are many, many reasons why someone might need a GAC. But that's just my :twocents:

No flaming here! I've been barking the idea of a waiting area for folks & a family member that can't tolerate lines. The rest of the group waits in line, and when they're almost there, a CM will go get the one waiting. DISNEY, ARE YOU LISTENING??????:number1:

wdw_bound
06-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Another nod to Tinkerbellybutton here. You don't know what journey someone else is on, so it's best not to judge how they travel.

We get a GAC for my DD9, primarily so that she can use her special needs stroller as a wheelchair. She is a stroke survivor with right-sided weakness, can't do stairs without assistance, and has some sensory issues (although she loves the roller coasters - go figure). There are many, many accessible rides at WDW, and in those instances, we use a fastpass, and the GAC so that she can be seated while waiting. However, many rides also have alternate entrances, so even a fast pass won't work (a favorite that comes to mind is splash mountain). On these rides, we are bumped ahead of others simply because of the way we enter the ride.

There are probably people who have looked at my beautiful girl and thought we were scamming the system, especially on days she was wearing long pants and her brace was covered, or when she hopped out of her stroller with a short-lived burst of energy. I believe I have seen an eyeball or two roll, and have definitely heard people pass comment on DD (or her parents) being lazy and that she is "too old" for a stroller. I don't worry about these people. I know that without the stroller, DD would not last more than an hour before her leg would no longer support her. I know that as she works all day at keeping it together, as she struggles to process all the sensory input, she would become overwhelmed were it not for the GAC. I also know that there are plenty of others on the same journey.

Are there those who take advantage? Probably. But if the GAC allows even one more kid the opportunity to experience Disney magic that they otherwise wouldn't, I'm ok with that.