PDA

View Full Version : Eisner gets Hollywood Walk of Fame Star

KineGirl
04-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Back to Story - Help
Ex-Disney exec Eisner gets Hollywood Walk of Fame star Sat Apr 26, 1:11 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Mickey and Minnie Mouse were on hand Friday when Michael Eisner got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Eisner gained fame in Hollywood as president of Paramount Pictures and then CEO of The Walt Disney Co.

At a ceremony, he credited John Travolta with much of his success.

"I am overwhelmed and I want to thank John Travolta for flying here from a film shoot," Eisner, 66, said. "Anything John was associated with while I was at Paramount was a hit. He is my lucky stone. And my success is also tied to the people I worked with."

Travolta, who starred in Paramount's '70s hits "Grease" and "Saturday Night Fever," said he "jumped at the chance" to honor Eisner.

"I consider it an honor to be a part of this as he has done so much for my career," Travolta gushed.

Kudos from Disney came in the form of the iconic Mickey and Minnie, and an appearance by Disneyland's band.

Eisner became president of Paramount in 1976, ushering in box office smashes, such as "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

He began his career in TV at the American Broadcasting Co. before heading Paramount. He left to take the helm at Disney from 1984 until stepping down in 2005.

Under Eisner's longtime leadership, Disney opened theme parks in Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong, acquired ABC and Miramax Pictures, developed the Disney Cruise Line and created Walt Disney Theatrical Productions.

However, Disney's board stripped Eisner of his chairmanship. Shareholders rebuked him in 2004 after a revolt led by former board members Roy E. Disney and Stanley Gold.

In 2005, Eisner founded Tornante Co., a private company investing in media and entertainment opportunities. He then created Vuguru, a new media studio. Tornante and Madison Dearborn Partners LLC acquired baseball card and candy maker Topps Co. last October.

Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Copyright © 2008 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback

pdrlkr
04-27-2008, 09:22 AM
:thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Some small part of me is saying congrats, but a larger part is like....why?

Marker
04-28-2008, 10:01 AM
....why?

I say the list of films and TV shows released during his tenure as head of Paramount, including

Saturday Night Fever
Grease
the Star Trek films
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Beverly Hills Cop
Happy Days
Laverne & Shirley
Cheers
Family Ties

and the Disney Films released during his tenure at Disney, including

LIon King
Aladdin
Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Rescuers Down Under
and many, many, more

Not to mention films released by Miramax, Touchstone Pictures, Touchstone Television.

Also for consideration, the development of WDW and other Disney Theme parks around the World such as

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Disney-MGM Studios
Several WDW resorts

LIke him or not, he's got quite a resume.

Melanie
04-29-2008, 02:31 AM
LIke him or not, he's got quite a resume.

Absolutely. I think it's well deserved.