PDA

View Full Version : Disney College Program

dolewhiplovers
04-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Hey, anybody out there have any children who have participated in the Disney college program? Our dd is heading down in 3 weeks to join the program until Jan 2. We are all very excited. We are planning a family trip in August to visit (we are reserved for the free dining too). We are wondering how much time she will have to spend with us. She has been told she can get us in free a couple of times, but we are probably going to buy tickets anyway. Do they allow participating students to schedule some time to spend with their families? Her 8 year old brother is devasted that she will be gone so long. Will we have access to her when she does have time off? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Having been in the program myself, I can tell you they allow you to take time off of work if your family is visiting. She will just have to request the time off in advance.

For her, she will be able to get up to 3 people in 6 times during her program. If you're the only people planning to visit, you may want to make sure to use those passes because they do expire at the end of the year.

Do you know what she will be doing? They won't tell her exact location until check-in.

joanna71985
04-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Hey, anybody out there have any children who have participated in the Disney college program? Our dd is heading down in 3 weeks to join the program until Jan 2. We are all very excited. We are planning a family trip in August to visit (we are reserved for the free dining too). We are wondering how much time she will have to spend with us. She has been told she can get us in free a couple of times, but we are probably going to buy tickets anyway. Do they allow participating students to schedule some time to spend with their families? Her 8 year old brother is devasted that she will be gone so long. Will we have access to her when she does have time off? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sure have. I am going down in 23 days for my 4th CP. For free time, she will need to request the days off as soon as possible (but there is no guarantee she will get the days off). Yes, she will be able to get up to 3 people off on 6 different occassions.

dolewhiplovers
04-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the info. She has auditioned and made it into entertainment. She is very excited and I am excited to bring her down. We will be arriving a few days early so we can get a small Disney fix in before I have to leave her to come back to MI. She will make sure to ask for the days off when she arrives. We aren't coming until Aug, so she will be able to give plenty of advance notice. We are going to be able to enjoy the free dining this year (we have paid in the past). Will she be able to go to Chef Mickeys with us and have us pay for her meal? I seem to remember that everyone in the party has to be on the dining plan but I am hoping that I am wrong. Maybe they will make exceptions for cast members.

joanna71985
04-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the info. She has auditioned and made it into entertainment. She is very excited and I am excited to bring her down. We will be arriving a few days early so we can get a small Disney fix in before I have to leave her to come back to MI. She will make sure to ask for the days off when she arrives. We aren't coming until Aug, so she will be able to give plenty of advance notice. We are going to be able to enjoy the free dining this year (we have paid in the past). Will she be able to go to Chef Mickeys with us and have us pay for her meal? I seem to remember that everyone in the party has to be on the dining plan but I am hoping that I am wrong. Maybe they will make exceptions for cast members.

Ooo, how exciting!! I am so jealous of her!

I believe you are right though- for the DDP it has to be everyone in the party.

Sariel
04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
I am the daughter of dolewhiplover and i am so excited to go!!!! I have 19 more days till we leave and i can't wait till I find out where I am going to be located at the WDW Resorts or Theme Parks! Is there any suggestions to how many roomates should ask for???

:tink:

joanna71985
04-27-2008, 05:51 PM
I am the daughter of dolewhiplover and i am so excited to go!!!! I have 19 more days till we leave and i can't wait till I find out where I am going to be located at the WDW Resorts or Theme Parks! Is there any suggestions to how many roomates should ask for???

:tink:

Welcome! I have stayed in both a 2-BR and a 3-BR. I really liked the 3-BR, as it is cheaper then the 1 and 2 bedrooms, but it is not too big. There was plenty of kitchen space for everyone. And at Chatham, each bedroom has its own bathroom (at Vista, there are only 2 baths in a 3-BR). Maybe I will see you in FL (I check in May 21).

Beast_fanatic
04-27-2008, 11:09 PM
We are going to be able to enjoy the free dining this year (we have paid in the past). Will she be able to go to Chef Mickeys with us and have us pay for her meal? I seem to remember that everyone in the party has to be on the dining plan but I am hoping that I am wrong. Maybe they will make exceptions for cast members.

Congrats to your daughter!

And, when dining, not everyone has to be on the dining plan. On our last trip, we went to several meals with other parties, and they had no problem separating out the check. You should have no problem paying out of pocket for her meal.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Welcome! I have stayed in both a 2-BR and a 3-BR. I really liked the 3-BR, as it is cheaper then the 1 and 2 bedrooms, but it is not too big. There was plenty of kitchen space for everyone. And at Chatham, each bedroom has its own bathroom (at Vista, there are only 2 baths in a 3-BR). Maybe I will see you in FL (I check in May 21).

Actually, they don't have their own in Chatham. It was still 2 baths for a 4 bed room.

That being said, the more roommates you have the more problem that can occur. If you're in Chatham, the buildings are typically nicer and newer than Vista and a lot quieter from my experiences. I had a 4 BR, with 7 other roommates. Needless to say, it was not the best timing at breakfast or any meal time since the kitchen was literally about 8ft x 2ft.

Also, the rooms are smaller in a 4 BR than the others. A 1 BR at Chatham was a lot bigger than our - you had personal space and a breathing room whereas in the 4BR, I slept about 3 feet from my roommate who snored.

For me, it was kinda like the Genie - itty bitty living space without phenonmenal cosmic powers.

joanna71985
04-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Actually, they don't have their own in Chatham. It was still 2 baths for a 4 bed room.

I was talking about the 3-BR.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Really? You each had your own? Man, did I pick the bad room. Oh well, it was.....a learning experience if anything.

Overall, I had a great time though. Plus Mickey and Minnie in graduation gowns is always cute.

joanna71985
04-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Really? You each had your own? Man, did I pick the bad room. Oh well, it was.....a learning experience if anything.

Overall, I had a great time though. Plus Mickey and Minnie in graduation gowns is always cute.

Yes. I said that at Chatham, each (3-BR) has its own bath. However, at Vista there are only 2 baths in the 3-BR.:)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Yes. I said that at Chatham, each (3-BR) has its own bath. However, at Vista there are only 2 baths in the 3-BR.:)

So in the 3 BR at Chatham has their own but the 4Br doesn't? How mean! :sob:

joanna71985
04-29-2008, 10:04 AM
So in the 3 BR at Chatham has their own but the 4Br doesn't? How mean! :sob:

Unfortunately yes. That's why I love the 3-BR at Chatham. It's cheaper then the 1 and 2 bedrooms, but it is not too big that there is not enough kitchen space for everyone.