PDA

View Full Version : Crowds at the park recently - even today

Fiddlesticks
04-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Leaving in 7 days and my heart is racing more and more. My kids think their Dad is nuts. All I do is whistle while I work and sing Zippity Do Da!! :cloud9: Anyone at that parks right now that can comment on the crowds. I have been hearing mixed messages. Someone please - the madness is driving me crazy.:blush:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
04-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Last week, except for when the EMHs got goin and what not--it was pretty stinkin packed. AK was the worst. I have never seen it like that. And people were very rude with me and my stroller. but anways...

Yeah, it was pretty packed, but take advantage of morning and evening EMHs!

MauiMouse
04-26-2008, 07:17 PM
I agree, just got back on Thursday night and it was pretty packed. Go early if you can get there at park opening.

Fiddlesticks
04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
C'mon guys. Tell me last week was just a busy week and it will be slow soon. :ack: We go every May during this time and we always have the place to ourselves. :secret: I think I am going to cry:( . Keep your fingers crossed.

tigger77
04-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi...my family was just there from April 16th to Thursday night..and they said the parks were very busy when they went to them all. We usually go in May also and its not as busy..our spring break was during the first part of their trip, but even this week they said was ad busy or busier as week prior!! Hope you have good luck!

Catzle
04-26-2008, 10:31 PM
A lot of the northern schools ours included was on spring break April 14-18 one reason it could of been so crowded. I'm sure there were more spring breaks this past week 20-25. I think they are usually ending about now. I wouldn't worry too much. Usually May isn't jammed packed but still busy. We will be there one week from now!

doodleboy
04-26-2008, 11:00 PM
C'mon guys. Tell me last week was just a busy week and it will be slow soon. :ack: We go every May during this time and we always have the place to ourselves. :secret: I think I am going to cry:( . Keep your fingers crossed.

I don't think that crowds will be a huge issue. We will be there May 1- 11, and I don't anticipate big crowds. A couple of other people mentioned Spring breaks, which is true. There are even some states on break this week coming up. I assume this has to do with year around school year in some places. I know when I lived in San Diego this was the case. Getting back to the subject, we have been going every May for many years and have never had an issue. In fact, it is the end of May that can get busy. Last year we ended out trip on Memorial Day. Even that weekend was not as bad as I had thought it would be. No fear, as you will have a wonderful time and if it is a little busy it will be nowhere near Summer or Holiday busy. Besides, I have been there when it was really dead, between two hurricanes, and it was sort of creepy standing in line for Dumbo with only six other people.

branvy
04-26-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm going over the 2nd weekend in May, and I'll tell you why the busy crowd reports so far aren't concerning me.

In the last couple of weeks of April, WDW is being hit with plenty of spring break crowds, 2 weekends of Grad Night, band competitions (in fact, my old high school band is there now), and about right now a cheerleading competition. Yikes!

By May it's just too close to the end of school/graduation events for most school-age groups to be traveling. Though conventions are a whole other matter (but I hear those don't fill the parks all too much).

Sunshine1010
04-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Can anyone tell me what the weather has been like? Also, what it's like in May?

javamama
04-27-2008, 01:16 AM
I was there 4/13-4/19 and they were busy, alot busier than last year due to Northeast spring breaks, and some Southern spring breaks. With Easter being so early this year, it was very goofy, no pun intended. I was so glad we went to the P&PP so we could get on the rides we were missing during the daytime. AK was bad, and Epcot also--this was due to the bands I think, and Grad night at MK which didn't help much.

On to the weather ? I left the midwest in snow, no joke. We landed in MCO, and it was upper 50's, and rain:( the first day. Not fun, our first 3 days were chilly, 60's and windy a big cold snap came through--they were almost out of sweatshirts at the parks, and resort shops unless you were a XXS or XXL--no joke it was that cold at night. We had to do laundry, because the adults needed more clean pants/jeans. We need hoodies/sweatshirts/coats, and pants the first three days, then the weather broke and the sun came out and the weather we were waiting for arrived finally:D Sunny, and low 80's perfect for us! We used the pools, beach, and got a tan even. Can you say crazy?

4myprincesses
04-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Besides, I have been there when it was really dead, between two hurricanes, and it was sort of creepy standing in line for Dumbo with only six other people.

I'm betting we were four of the other six. That was a very odd visit to Disney. We checked into POR and they told us that most people had canceled their vacations, that crowds were at an amazing low, and what to do in case the other hurricane came. We had debated going, but we didn't have trip insurance and figured the worst thing we did was shorten our trip. The first one took longer to work it's way through the area and we ended up spending a day in some small town in Georgia.

We drove through the outer bands of it going down there and drove home with the second on our tail the whole time! I must say as nice as it was to not wait in line for anything, it was a bit spooky!

CaptSmee
04-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Crowds don't really effect me or my visits to the park, but you can't compare the beginning of May to what it's like the past couple of weeks because lot's of schools had their spring breaks the last few weeks so i'm sure it's been quite busy.

That said, rumors are that attendance is down compared to last year so i'm looking forward to our visit next week!

FlaTinkRAMESAM
04-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Can anyone tell me what the weather has been like? Also, what it's like in May?

The week we happened to stay out there (13-17th of Apr) we had freakishly cool weather. Right now, its hitting mid 80s or so. It is just gonna get warmer from here on out.

barnaby
04-27-2008, 07:03 PM
We went the last week of March (23rd to 28th), which was NJ's spring break. We figured from the license plates we saw and people we talked to that it was spring break week for Illinois, Ohio, and NY.
It was very crowded and dealing with the crowds was a pain but we still had a great time and got to do alot. We aren't morning people so we didn't do the park opening thing and took advantage of the late park hours. MK was open to 3AM with EMH and open to 1AM regularly. The other parks had late hours too.

prprincess
04-29-2008, 12:00 PM
We were there from 4/21 to 4/27 and the crowds were crazy. Hubby and I were surprised, as we thought it would be pretty quiet down there this time of the month, but nope.

With that being said, at least it was not as bad as the times I've gone in the summer or during Christmastime. Hopefully it'll slow down by the time you god.

barnaby
04-29-2008, 05:33 PM
We were there from 4/21 to 4/27 and the crowds were crazy.

You, me and the rest of NJ were there!!!;):D

pluto 77
04-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Yikes!!!! We leave on May 4th and I really hope it's not that crazy down there!!! I was really hoping to have very low crowds

merlinmagic4
04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
We were there from 4/21 to 4/27 and the crowds were crazy. Hubby and I were surprised, as we thought it would be pretty quiet down there this time of the month, but nope.

With that being said, at least it was not as bad as the times I've gone in the summer or during Christmastime. Hopefully it'll slow down by the time you god.

That's so funny - I was there from 4/19-4/28 and thought it was quite manageable! I guess it depends on what you are used to. We moved through the parks very easily and used fastpass. We never waited more than 15 minutes for anything.

BronxTigger
04-29-2008, 11:07 PM
A lot of northern schools have ridiculously late spring breaks a lot of them concluding last Friday. 4/25. That and they are done with school in basically the second week in June.

I am a teacher in the NYC public schools. Our spring break coincides with Passover. This year, our spring break was April 21-25. Our last day of school is not until June 26, so we still have 2 full months left. :(

tys_mommy
04-30-2008, 12:58 PM
We’ve only been twice but last week was more packed than what I remember it being in November of 2004 (and that was even Thanksgiving weekend). Even EPCOT seemed pretty crazy Friday before we left – all Soarin fast passes were gone before noon. We went to Sea World on Wednesday and it too seemed a little more packed than what I was expecting.

prprincess
04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
That's so funny - I was there from 4/19-4/28 and thought it was quite manageable! I guess it depends on what you are used to. We moved through the parks very easily and used fastpass. We never waited more than 15 minutes for anything.I'm definitely used to being there when it's slow, so it was hard on us! So much so, that we had 5 day passes and only chose to use 4 because we were sick and tired of navigating through the crowds and waiting in such long lines.

merlinmagic4
04-30-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm definitely used to being there when it's slow, so it was hard on us! So much so, that we had 5 day passes and only chose to use 4 because we were sick and tired of navigating through the crowds and waiting in such long lines.

Just curious......what parks were you at and on what days?

We did DHS on Sunday 4/20, the P&PP on 4/23, and AK on 4/28. We also did Aquatica on 4/26.

A friend of mine was at AK on Monday 4/21 and said it was so packed it was an hour wait for french fries :thedolls:

barnaby
04-30-2008, 08:55 PM
We did MK on the Mar 23 and Mar 28 and the crowds weren't too bad.
We did Epcot and AK on the 24th, MK and Epcot on the 25th, AK and DHS on the 26th, and DHS on the 27th - all were mobbed. On the 25th, there were 60,000+ people at the MK, not as bad as Christmas, but still very crowded.

prprincess
05-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Just curious......what parks were you at and on what days?

We did DHS on Sunday 4/20, the P&PP on 4/23, and AK on 4/28. We also did Aquatica on 4/26.

A friend of mine was at AK on Monday 4/21 and said it was so packed it was an hour wait for french fries :thedolls:We did MK on Tuesday 4/22, then HS 4/23, AK 4/24, and Epcot 4/25.

Funny thing--I was laying out by the pool on 4/21 and a woman told me she was at MK that day and there were no crowds. Yet at MK the next day I met another woman who told me that the crowds the day before had been horrendous. A matter of perception? Go figure!!!

Hey Barnaby, look at our schedules--we missed each other twice!!!

barnaby
05-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Hey Barnaby, look at our schedules--we missed each other twice!!!

Yeah we hit AK and Epcot those nights for the evening magic hours. It was still crowded!!! :D