PDA

View Full Version : Help me Please Hair Coloring ???s

Gooftroop5
04-26-2008, 01:20 PM
If you've had an all over color & your roots are showing (I did my own hair last November/December we are talking a couple inches showing myhair grows really fast) Can you just get highlights or am I better getting an all over haircoloring? :confused:

My friend gave me a gift certificate for a hair cut & hair coloring. I've always just colored my own hair at home with all over color. My sil (an ex-hairdresser) has been cutting my hair & giving me perms when I need one for free. My friend thought it would be nice if I got pampered and got me the gift certificate. She talked to the hairdresser & I know her too. She is really good. I use to go to her before I quit working to be a sahm. I trust her judgement. I do not trust my friend that bought me the gift certificate. I'd ask sil but I don't want her to think I don't appreciate her doing my hair for me. Also I do not trust her coloring my hair. She has had some pretty interesing hair colors since she came into the family. :eek::eek2:

My friend thinks I should just be able to get highlighted. Currently my hair is 3 shades. the tips are blond from the coloring from the past middle hair is reddish brown & roots are brown. I have natural blond & red highlights in my hair also there is no grey. With the new haircut I want it should get the blond tips off. My hair is long. Past my shoulder & its all one length/bobbed.

Sorry this is getting away from me. I go Wednesday night for my appointment. So pleeeeaasse HELP!!!!:help:

SBETigg
04-26-2008, 02:22 PM
I've only had highlights, never all over color, so I don't know. I think it would be odd, though, if you have visible roots. The highlights won't disguise the roots or help them blend in more, I don't think. I would go to the salon and see what they think. If you trust them to work with your hair, you should trust their professional opinion on the issue.

If you're dyeing just to change colors, then they might recommend doing an all over color to get you closer to your natural color, and then highlights later down the road, once your color is back to some uniformity. To put highlights on top of what you have now sounds like a mistake. But I could be wrong. Best wishes with it!

Gooftroop5
04-26-2008, 03:06 PM
What I forgot to add was that My friend discussed it with the hairdresser (she's also the one who made the appointment so I haven't talked to the hairdresser myself yet) & told her I probably could get away with highlights.

Thanks that was what I was figuring. I think I would need an all over coloring to even everything out otherwise I think it will look worse. Just want to know if anyone else has been through something similar to know what would be best.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-26-2008, 08:10 PM
I've been coloring my hair for years now. I've had every color - blond, brown, black, red (not a natural red), all over color and highlighted.

If I do all over color I do it myself but if I get highlights I have a salon do it. I recommend going with highlights. You can go a lot longer without having to color. My natural hair is brown. I have her color it dark brown with blond and gold highlights and I can go 4-5 months without coloring. If its one color I have to color every other month....my hair grows really fast.

princessjojo
04-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Funny I should read this now as I just walked in from getting my hair done...cut and colored. I generally do all over color because I like my natural color, or at least what I think my real color is. I find it easier, and I can go for longer periods of time without having to have it redone. With highlights, I tend to notice when they've grown out faster. But it really all depends on I think the difference between the color and the new growth.

I would think the color would be more uniform if you did an all over color then highlight from there. You would have fewer colors and contrast in your hair.

Good luck with your hair. You do need to be pampered every now and then. We all do...