PDA

View Full Version : Boat Rides While Pregnant?

Bean Bunny
04-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Hi, everybody!

I'm wondering about the boat rides of WDW, such as PoC, IASW, Maelstrom, & the Mexico ride. In 2005, my DH and I were in WDW while I was 3 months pregnant. Now we are leaving in two weeks, and I will be 4 months pregnant with our second child! I remember going on these rides last time, and being terrified I hurt the baby when the boats would back up and bump one another. Even the boat rides from the resorts to the parks sometimes bump the docks upon arrival. Of course I will bring this up with my doctor before we leave, but I wanted to get opinions from everyone here. It's been 3 years, so I may be overreacting a bit (as I tend to do when expecting), but I can still remember sitting on the Mexico ride and getting hit by the boat behind us as we waited to exit the ride. These are obviously pretty tame rides with no restrictions, but do you think the boats bumping is a real danger to someone on them while pregnant?

I appreciate your opinions to give this nervous mommy a piece of mind during her much needed vacation!!

Gator
04-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't be concerned at all. My wife was pregnant on our last trip (5 months) and her friend as well (8 months) and they rode all those rides you mentioned. You probably get more of a jolt when you walk down a few stairs or you make a hard stop at a traffic light than a boat bump at PoC. We even rode Maelstrom (with the 10 foot drop). You only have to worry about severe turbulance rides - anything with a mountain in its name will whip you a little too hard. You can even hit Kilimanjaro Safaris. It's bumpy, but there are no severe starts, stops, drops, or turns. That is what causes problems. Be concerned, but don't let it take all the fun out of your trip.

Jasper
04-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Oh Heavens child we went on one trip when my wife was about 8 1/2 months along with our oldest child who is now 23 and a fine young lady. During that trip my wife even did Space Mountain and other full fledged roller coasters so the boat rides are WELL within the limits unless you have a special situation. You have to remember that women used to work very hard on the farm or on the frontier in centuries past right up to the moment of giving birth and did just fine so a bump or two on a boat ride is not going to cause problems.

I am sure that I will get crucified because of my position, but in general I think our society goes way overboard in pampering the average typical expectant mother. Don't get me wrong, I do respect a woman for going through the pregnancy and birth experience but in the final analysis, all mammals go through basically the same process.

The people I particularly respect are the women and men who truly fulfill their duties as a true parent by sticking with that child no matter what and who do their very best to create a productive loving adult out of that little baby that is produced out of a very basic biological process.

OK, I will get off of my soapbox now because I actually said a lot more than you were really asking. Bottom line; unless the doctor says there is a problem go and do what you feel comfortable doing.

ljv1975
04-26-2008, 01:10 PM
I was almost 7 months pregnant when we went last month. I rode all of the boat rides that you mentioned with no problem. I even rode on the safari at AK with no problems whatsoever. I rode the teacups, Dumbo, the flying carpets, etc. I would bring it up with your Dr. at your next appointment, but mine only told me to avoid the obvious rides like rollercoasters.
I'm due to have the baby in the next few weeks and he is as active as ever!! I honestly don't think that it would hurt to ride the tame rides. I figured that if it was OK for my 2 year old DD, then it was probably OK for me too.
I know what you mean about worrying while pregnant though! I would just see what your Dr. says and try to enjoy your vacation!! Also, congrats on the baby!! :mickey:

jwildflower1981
04-26-2008, 01:26 PM
While we're on this topic how about simulater rides, not Mission:Space, but Star Tours and stuff like that? I'll be going to TN next month and there are tons of diffrent simulater rides that I'd love to go on but kinda nervous since this is my 1st pregnancy. I'll be 5 months along!
Thanks,
Jennifer

MickeyMousse
04-26-2008, 04:37 PM
I went while I was 7mths pregnant with DS#2. The boat rides were fine and I enjoyed them even more since I couldn't do what I normally would like Star Tours, Space Mountain, etc....

No, I wouldn't go on rollercoasters, thrill rides...anything with bumping or jerking. You will see those warnings "...if you are pregnant you should not ride..."

One trip we witnessed a woman who experienced contractions after riding Star Tours!

MNNHFLTX
04-26-2008, 08:53 PM
A moderator request not to go off topic on this please. The original poster is asking for input regarding a valid concern that she has and that should be the focus of our discussion.

As far as the rides at WDW, if there is a sign at the beginning warning pregnant women not to ride, that is usually the best indicator. This would include the simulator rides, like Star Tours, unfortunately. However, the boat rides should not present a problem. If you are on a ride and are concerned about being bumped from behind (which does happen on the Mexico ride quite often), I would just make sure to sit back firmly in the seat to minimize the bump. The other concern might be for women who are further along and whose center of balance is off-kilter. In that case, taking extra care (and an helping hand) in getting on and off the boat would be in order. :mickey:

emmatink
04-26-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm glad you asked this question Bean Bunny! I will be 4 months pregnant as well when we go in 3 weeks and my "mommynesia" kicked in at my last doctor's appointment and I forgot to ask what I could and could not ride. :blush:
Thanks for the input ya'll!

Buttercup
04-26-2008, 11:41 PM
I was 12 weeks pregnant with my first baby and I went on Space Mountain and all the other thrill rides. :secret: Probably not the smartest thing to do, but I figured since I knew the rides it would be okay.
I'm sure POTC and other boat rides will be juuuuust fine. :thumbsup:

javamama
04-27-2008, 01:07 AM
First congrats to you. Second I just got back w/my sister who was around 9 weeks when we went. Her doctor said basically look for ride warnings, so she did that. She did SW, no POTC due to the small drop, she did do Soarin which he said was fine--he had just gotten back w/in the last 6 months. IMO the boats bumping should be fine, it's honestly just a tap or two when your getting close to exiting, just use your best judgement or ask a CM if they have a warning on the ride have a great trip!

mudpuppysmom
04-28-2008, 09:32 AM
I went in January at 4 months and rode the boat rides and Soarin. I did a lot of people watching this trip while DH and DS (5) went on all the wild things.....DS had fun watching for me and waving at me as I'm usually the one who takes him on the trip in the first place, but this time I told DH he HAD to go on the trip to help me -- that is another aspect......if you have help you'll be fine. Just think about what you are thinking about riding and decide if it's too bumpy for you......

I will say that I THOUGHT IASW was more bumpy that I remember (when not pregnant), but it could have just been me overreacting!

Have a great trip!

Buttercup
04-28-2008, 10:35 AM
I honestly can't see why POTC's drop would be a problem? It's no more wild than driving down a hill in a car. There's no major g-forces, no bumps, no restraint devices against your belly. :confused:
I'm all for being cautious so I'm not going to say anyone is being "too careful". I've just heard of women avoiding POTC when pregnant before and I always wondered why? But that's off-topic I guess.

OhToodles!
04-28-2008, 11:37 AM
I was there last June (4.5 months) and went on pretty much all the rides, except for those that warned pregnant women not to ride. I believe the Disney website can tell you ahead of time which rides have restrictions or warnings. The only ride I went on that did have a warning was the Safari at AK, but we asked to sit in the front since they say it's less bumpy than the back. (There was a woman in front of us in line with a neck brace and I figured if she was going on, then it wouldn't hurt me much either.)

Also, a little off topic, but along the lines of being concerned about bumps. I was in a minor car accident around 3.5 months (bumped from behind) and my doctors (yes 2) told me the baby would be just fine since it's in the most shock absorbing place it will ever be.

Go and have fun!

Mickey91
04-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Most of the boat rides should be okay. I would probably avoid Splash and things that really bump or drop. Not sure about POC.

Bean Bunny
04-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate all of your input. Like I had said, the last time we visited I was pregnant with our son, and I did all of the rides except the ones with warnings, so I know I'll be fine. I just want to be extra sure to avoid anything potentially harmful, and I do remember worrying when the boats would bump, even though everything obviously turned out great! Thanks again! :)

momof3+twins
04-29-2008, 01:49 PM
I have managed to have 5 healthy children. Two of them are twins that I went full term with no bed rest. Trust me, babies are very safe sitting inside your belly. I wouldn't worry about it so much. You will be past the miscarriage point and that should be a relief. you should know that everything is going well.
My doctor once told me not to jump out of airplanes or do any bungy jumping. And she was serious that most everything else is okay.
I went when I was about 5 months pregnant with #2. The best advice I can give you is to sit and let your hubby rub your feet, swim and drink plenty of liquids. Besides that go by Disney's recommendations on whether or not you should ride certain rides. They have all the warnings before you get on. Go by that. But, all the water rides should be okay. I can't remember if I rode Maelstrom or not though. Have fun and don't worry.

Disney Doll
04-29-2008, 05:21 PM
You probably experience more jostling just driving in your car. I think you'll be fine.

diz_girl
04-30-2008, 09:51 AM
I was 5 months pregnant during my last trip to WDW and I'll most likley be pregnant again on my next trip in December. You should have no problems on the rides that you mentioned, as I rode those with ease. I also rode Soarin' a couple of times and I was seriously tempted to do the Safari and Test Track. Test Track isn't much different from driving in New Jersey, Philly, New York or Boston.

katzctkpt
04-30-2008, 01:36 PM
You probably experience more jostling just driving in your car. I think you'll be fine.

Disney Doll is exactly right there's more jostling in your car. If your 1st pregnancy was ok then chances are the 2nd will be too. Just talk it over with the doctor about the boat rides and get his input. Then if you still have concerns on other ones ask about those too.

brownie
05-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Get your doctor's input; that's the most important. Follow the warning signs at the attractions. She rode these rides, and I don't think we worried about any boats bumping into each other.

teambricker04
05-01-2008, 02:55 PM
I have been to WDW during both my pregnancies with my boys, and the first time I was a bit nervous about the boat rides. More POTC and Mal. because of the drops. I decided that if things didn't have warnings, I was okay.

I really think that the boat bumping will be okay, but try one or two out and if you aren't comfortable then don't do it. Bottomline... do what makes you (and your baby) feel okay and safe. Mostly... Have fun and drink lots of water!:mickey:

WDWFREAK101
05-04-2008, 12:57 PM
For some strange reason, my mom went on Space Mountain when she was 6 months pregnant with ME!!!!! :confused: I guess rules have changed now because I KNOW that CM'S would NEVER allow it. But, I think it was a good thing for me because I am OBSESSED with thrill rides now. I guess if you want your kids to ride thrills, ride rides when you are pregnant. :number1::mickey:

SpaceMtn101
05-04-2008, 02:27 PM
For some strange reason, my mom went on Space Mountain when she was 6 months pregnant with ME!!!!! :confused: I guess rules have changed now because I KNOW that CM'S would NEVER allow it. But, I think it was a good thing for me because I am OBSESSED with thrill rides now. I guess if you want your kids to ride thrills, ride rides when you are pregnant. :number1::mickey:

CMS CANT stop you. We can suggest to you that we DONT advise it BUT it is your personal descion