PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft

Melanie
04-26-2008, 06:39 AM
So how did your team fare? :fball:

Jeff
04-26-2008, 07:38 AM
I love draft day as an NFL fan but loathe it as a Lions fan!:confused:

I expect Matt Milan to draft ANOTHER WR or the next Joey Harrington. Then we will hear Bill Ford and the Lion spin Dr's tell us how it was a great draft for the team. Two years from now neither of the 1st or 2nd round picks of today will be in the NFL. How does Matt Milan keep his job????????????????????????????

Ian
04-26-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm sure the Eagles will draft another fat guy in the first round (i.e. an offensive lineman). He won't play for two years and he'll rot on the bench and then eventually Osi Umenyora will make him look ridiculous and we'll end up having to draft another fat guy to replace him.

One thing I can say for sure is that they will not draft anyone significant in any spot where they actually need help ... like wide receiver. Or maybe they'll do what they did last time and draft someone in like the 6th round that quit football to be an Olympic skiier. They might go for a guy from a different sport though ... maybe an Olympic rower (big arms ... good for beating press coverage) or a wrestler (can't catch the ball? who cares? he can put d-backs into sleeper holds) ...

:shake:

Epc0tphr34k
04-26-2008, 10:56 AM
How does Matt Milan keep his job????????????????????????????

Jeff, The world may never know about Millan.

I am a little concerned that reid is going to weaken our starting line up by trading sheppard to again take a first round lineman who will have no impact on this season. One can always hope that he trades lito and we get dominique rogers cromartie or leodis mckelvin when we move up but that isn't bloody likely. I'd also like to see the birds take eddie royal out of VT in the 3rd if he is still around . That kid could be dynamite and he is strong for his size so the bump coverage everyone plays against the eagles shouldn't affect him as much

Ian
04-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I am a little concerned that reid is going to weaken our starting line up by trading sheppard to again take a first round lineman who will have no impact on this season. One can always hope that he trades lito and we get dominique rogers cromartie or leodis mckelvin when we move up but that isn't bloody likely. I'd also like to see the birds take eddie royal out of VT in the 3rd if he is still around . That kid could be dynamite and he is strong for his size so the bump coverage everyone plays against the eagles shouldn't affect him as muchFat guy ... mark my words ... ;)

MsMin
04-26-2008, 12:13 PM
I like to see where our boys go. I hate to see Dorsey go to Atlanta:(

Epc0tphr34k
04-26-2008, 05:18 PM
I Hate Andy Reid And Joe Banner !!!!!

Melanie
04-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Well, the Eagles just made a nice move by way of the bonehead Panthers who gave them a 2nd and 4th round pick and 1st round pick next year for Jeff Otah. Oy. He looks to have good potential, but giving up all that?????

Now, what the Eagles do with those picks is at their discretion. ;)

Epc0tphr34k
04-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Well, the Eagles just made a nice move by way of the bonehead Panthers who gave them a 2nd and 4th round pick and 1st round pick next year for Jeff Otah. Oy. He looks to have good potential, but giving up all that?????

Now, what the Eagles do with those picks is at their discretion. ;)

well i don't like that move at all but the first rounder next year makes it sting less. 43 overall is not likely to get us someone whop can help now. i do like giving miami that 4th rounder for booker tho. i wanted him last year i think he is westbrooks heir aparent

Epc0tphr34k
04-26-2008, 07:57 PM
ok andy made me sweat but i love both picks. i think laws is gonna be a monster and i have wanted desean jackson since october

Ian
04-27-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm okay with Laws, but DeSean is too small to play in the NFL. 170 pounders just can't hack it in the bigs. He won't last.

I think it was a horrible first day for the Eagles. I have NO CLUE what they were thinking. This is a team that needs players, not more useless draft picks.

The only thing I can think is that they got that #1 from the Panthers in the hopes they can sweeten the pot for one of the big time receivers they were trying to trade for.

But the selection of Jackson makes me doubt that.

PirateLover
04-27-2008, 11:41 AM
I missed a lot of the action yesterday (Draft, Flyers and Phillies games) because I was at my high school 5 year reunion. When I got home, I flipped on WIP sports radio and the update went "Flyers and Phillies fans are happy, Eagles fans are just confused!"

I really am not going to pretend I know anything about the draft. Only time can tell how everything will work out, and I really can't stand how everyone and their mother thinks that all of the sudden they are a professional analyst. I mean sure everyone has "their guy" and an opinion, but some people just put too much stock in the draft and get all freaked out over nothing. Hopefully today the other shoe will drop and the Eagles are able to make a good trade for a wide receiver.

Epc0tphr34k
04-27-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm okay with Laws, but DeSean is too small to play in the NFL.

jackson can easily be back up to his playing weight of 178-180 by camp if he works out. that puts him pound for pound heavier than greg lewis, he is also more aggressive than lewis and has a chance to give us a devin hester type returner which i bigger receiver would not give us. Westbrook was also and is also still consider undersized and he works out pretty well. If you get jackson to 180 you are looking at a santana moss or steve smith type receiver

Ian
04-28-2008, 08:20 AM
I mean sure everyone has "their guy" and an opinion, but some people just put too much stock in the draft and get all freaked out over nothing.Well ... I mean okay I'm not a draft expert either and I certainly don't pretend to know everything about every college player coming out.

But what I do know is when a team makes a dumb move and this was a dumb move. First off, when you pass on the 19th pick in the draft you're essentially saying, "There is no player on the board right now who can help our football team get better."

Well this was an 8-8 team last year and yet there were many, many teams who finished far ahead of the Eagles who found players there to make their team better. How about just taking Otah?? You know you need tackles, with Runyan and Thomas nearing the end.

The other teams in our division, who were already much better than the Eagles (all three made the playoffs last year, two faced off in the divisional round, and one won the Super Bowl!) all got better. What did the Eagles do? They saved for "next year." It's always about "next year" with this team. When does it become about winning now??

And here's my real beef. The Eagles claimed that they really tried hard to move up in the draft to take a top tier player, but that "the deal wasn't there."

Okay, well then how did Jacksonville move up from 26, 7 slots below where the Eagles were picking, to take the 8 slot from the Ravens for only a 3 and two 4's?? And then the kicker is the Ravens had to trade back up to take their QB! You're telling me they wouldn't have rather traded with the Eagles and not have to move back up again?? Come on ... don't tell bald-face lies that make no sense, Andy. You didn't try to move up. No way.

This draft was horrible. Just horrible. Probably the worst ever under this regime, and that's saying something.

MsMin
04-28-2008, 10:27 AM
I follow just to see where our boys end up. I have been disgusted with the Saints and rarely follow them. More ticked w/ Tom Benson than the team itself. It was interesting to see where Dorsey went. I'm not very familiar w/ KC but hope he does well there b/c he is a play-maker as a DT.
I was surprised that Early went so late. He has a lot of talent but did have an injury that set him back- still he makes incredible plays and I saw many WR's picked before him. He went to Arizona and sounds like he's needed there. Chevis Jackson and (CB)went to Keith Zinger went to Atlanta (not my favorite team):blush: but I think they'll do well there. I couldn't believe that GB picked up Matt Flynn(QB). Since they picked up 2 I'm sure it will be a great competition. Matt does have a lot of experience and keeps his cool when behind, like so many of our slow starts. Steltz, a safety went to the Bears, he has been a great playmaker and has the size. He had 11interceptions at LSU, He reads the quarterback(play) well and hope he does well. Hester (RB) went to SD. He's more like a Hemi than a player:D We will miss him.
We had 2 others sign free agent contracts-- Ali Highsmith w/ the Cardinals and Luke Sanders (LB) went to the Saints.
I couldn't believe no one picked up Zenon, a safety that had a great career w/ 9 interceptions. They say he's expected to sign a contract along w/ two other former LSU players.
So we had 7 picked in the draft... not bad :D ...9 total have entered the NFL with the possibility of 3 more. Not quite like last year when we had 4 first round picks.
Next year I expect to see Demetrius Byrd (WR) go fairly early, (he made that catch in the final seconds against Auburn), Herman Johnson (OL), Quentin LeDay WR has not had as much play time as LeFell or Byrd but a good solid WR. Darry Beckwith (LB) Colt David(PK) and two DE, Johnson and Pittman.
I saw clips from the spring game and was very impressed with Hatch Jr,QB transfer from Harvard and Lee Fr QB. Great to know since Perrilloux is always in trouble. :football:

Scar
04-28-2008, 01:59 PM
I think The Giants had one of their best drafts ever, and they had by far the best draft of any team this year. Why? Because ...

THEY PICKED LAST!
:muscles:WOOOO HOOOO!!!:muscles:

Seriously, I think they had a very good draft. They got the top Safety at the position they needed most, and the reward for picking Mannignham far outweighs the risk for a third rounder.

Oh , and did I mention THEY PICKED LAST!

Strmchsr
04-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I agree. Giants had a good draft. KC had a great draft (and really needed it).

My Titans on the other hand...I think my 7 yr old could have done better managing the draft. Oi! :mad:

Ian
04-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah, actually the Giants got pretty good marks for their draft from most of the experts. As did the Cowboys and Redskins.

The Eagles, on the other hand, ................ :ack:

kakn7294
04-28-2008, 03:19 PM
I think the Steelers did fairly well, especially picking up Mendenhall and Sweed. We need a reliable back-up for Willie Parker and Ben should be happy to have gotten his tall WR. It looks like we may have gotten some good OLBs as well. I was a little lost on the QB pick with Ben and Charlie Batch on the roster, but I'm thinking this guy may be a "Slash" type of guy. They lost something in the way of trick plays when Randle El went to Washington.

Gator
04-28-2008, 03:52 PM
The 49ers did OK. But it won't matter unless they figure out how to hand off to Gore again.

Melanie
12-12-2008, 01:33 AM

:foot:

Go Panthers! :football: