PDA

View Full Version : Craigs list- Should I do it?

pink
04-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Hey everyone! Over the summer I work at a camp as a counselor and this summer coming up will be my second year. However, this year I got a call from my boss there asking me to be the camps gymnastics coach instead of a counselor. I already have another job at night that isn't seasonal and I explained to my boss that the only reason I was coming back was because I fell in love with the boys I worked with over the summer and that I wasn't coming back because I need more money. She got very angry with me and said that I was "big dissapointment" to her. The last gymnastics teacher recently quit and I am the only employee left with any gymmnastics training. I used to know many people that were gymnasts/cheerleaders a few years ago and I told my boss that I would contact any of the others to see if they were interested in the position. However, I've asked all of them and they are already employed else where.

Here is my problem: My boss is a very caddy and intimidating person. She is never friendly and always talks about her employees behind their backs and then yells at everyone else saying that we are the ones that are gossiping too much.

For example, last summer I wore a tank top one day and she called me a tramp. The top was not revealing in the least, it had thick straps, it was not low cut, and it was covering my stomach completely. Then she comes up to me later in the day telling me how much she likes me and so on. :confused:

So, I've thought about it and I'm considering putting an ad on Craigslist seeing if there are any cheerleaders/gymnasts in the area. However, I'm scared that when they call my camp for an interview they will say that they saw an ad on Craigslist.

I want to find another gymnastics teacher because if I don't she will gossip about me the whole summer and I don't know if I can handle her for a whole summer saying bad things about me and talking about how I'm a "dissapointment". I'm also afraid that she may give me an ultimatum of be the gymnastics teacher or get out. I just don't know what to do at this point. Anyone advice would be appreciated- I'm sorry this is so long! :mickey:

offwego
04-25-2008, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't put an ad on cragislist for a coach if I were you. Whatever other issues you may have iwth your boss it sounds as if you said you would find someone you know and that wouldn't be the case in some one you fond via an ad. If you can't find someone just tell her the truth. It might be difficult but it would be the more better choice. Good luck

crazypoohbear
04-26-2008, 03:54 PM
I do not think you should put an ad on craigs list.
Also, you should reconsider returning there yourself. I know you said you loved the kids but do you really need to subject yourself to her behavior??? It would be detrimental to your health in the long run. Please think carefully about what you can tolerate.

HndrdPrcnt
04-26-2008, 04:10 PM
I also agree......no Craig's List posting. It is not your job to be advertising a position at the camp and furthermore, I also agree that you should reconsider even going back yourself. Why should you deal with a boss like that??

WonderlandsMostWanted
04-26-2008, 05:06 PM
I also would not put an ad on craigslist. Here's the reality of the situation:
1) She is the boss
2) She offered you a job which you could not accept. That is OK.
3) As she is the boss, and you could not take the job, it is still HER responsibility to fill the position, not yours.
4) It was nice of you to offer to ask people you know if they were interested in the job, and you did. If they can't, you've fullfilled your offer to go ABOVE and BEYOND to help her find someone else, but it just wasn't in the cards. This goes right back to, she's the boss, and it's her responsibility to fill the position. (see a repeating theme here? ;) )

It's wonderful that you're trying to help out, but you've already done more than enough. Let her take care of her responsibilities now. You don't want the responsibilty or potential liablity of placing a craigslist ad for a possition you have no authority to be hiring for.

Kairi_7378
04-26-2008, 06:42 PM
It's their job to find a gymnastics teacher. It is possible that they are trying to get the other teacher back. If you know any teachers that would be interested, I might pass along the info... otherwise, I'd stay out of it and enjoy the daytime job.

Flower
04-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Definitely do not post it - she is the boss and that is her job (That's why she gets paid the big bucks!!!)

Is there nobody over her that you could complain to about her behaviour? I know you say she is the boss, but who oversees the camp? Is it thru the town, a church group, etc? I would go to them, If she is that caddy, employees do not need to take her behaviour.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-27-2008, 12:02 AM
You definitely shouldn't put an add out there. It's not up to you to do the hiring. Maybe word has gotten out how hard it is to deal with her and that's why they can't find someone to work there. And I'd rethink going back there as well. Why put up with the mental abuse if you don't need to.

pink
04-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Thank you for you advice everyone. It is hard to deal with her caddy behavior and I try to avoid her as much as possible but it is a small camp. I had a bad feeling I shouldn't post an ad on Craigslist but she just puts a mass amount of pressure on you that makes you feel you like are obligated to do things like that and go above and beyond.

I also considered not going back just because of her but I didn't want her to hold me back. I really cared about those children and I didn't want them to be stuck with another counselor that they were unfamiliar with or worse her if she couldn't find a replacement. I think this year might be easier to tolerate her though because a good friend of mine might actually be working in the same group as me so this could make it easier to relax.

On a good note, I actually found a possible candidate for the gymnastics teacher! My mothers friends daughter was a cheerleader for years and is currently unemployed. She is also majoring in early childhood eduation. Her and I had a falling out a few years ago but I decided to help her out and give her a glowing recommendation. Hopefully she will get the job. Thanks again for all of you help! :mickey: