PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to make it in time for Illuminations???

MuchLovedMama
04-25-2008, 01:03 PM
On a date in September I'll be going to Epcot & I have dinner reservations for 8 at Planet Hollywood for 7:15. We'll be sure to be there by 7 hoping to get in a few minutes early (although I understand it can be later) & we'll be using the buses which I understand we'll need to catch a bus to any resort & then catch a bus back to Epcot & with this being the only day we're going to Epcot & we don't have a park hopper to do it on another day we were really hoping we'd be back in time for Illuminations (starting at 9). Do you guys think it's possible to be back on time. I've tried to move my reservations up a bit but they are booked.

Quasimodo
04-25-2008, 01:43 PM
It will be very "ify". I would say you will be lucky to be out of Planet Hollywood with a party that large by 9 PM. But if you can get out by 8:30, you might make it. Try to catch a bus to the Yacht/Beach Club or Boardwalk. Then walk from the hotel to Epcot's International Gateway. This will be the fastest way using Disney transportation.

Tygger7
04-25-2008, 01:48 PM
If you had a smaller party, I'd say yes you have a chance. Given you have a party of 8, I think you're chances of getting back to Epcot in time to get a spot for Illuminations are slim to none. Even if you get seated right at 7pm, it will take at least an hour (and probably more) for a large party to eat. Then you need to allow time to get back to Epcot. Your best chance is to take a bus from DTD to the Boardwalk (because the buses don't go directly to the parks from DTD), and then go into Epcot via the Int'l Gateway. Is it possible: yes. Will you have to make a mad dash out of Planet Hollywood: yes. At least if you get to the Boardwalk, you should be able to see at least some of Illuminations.

Good luck!!

PS...I haven't heard overly positive reviews on the food at Planet Hollywood. Maybe consider skipping it all together and just do a CS meal in Epcot that night so you can see Illuminations. Just a suggestion. :mickey:

cal5755
04-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Our family has never had a bad experience at Planet Hollywood (always had great food and service) and we do go every trip, however, I agree with TYGGER7 that there has been posts of bad service, food and it is a very loud atmosphere...

If I were in your situation I would cancel PH ADR and make one for one of the great TS inside Epcot (better than PH for sure) or opt for a CS instead. You will still have great food, fun and you will be able to get an awesome view for Illuminations. AND you wont miss any of it.

ALSO if you are not against eating late... PH is open til I believe 1 am. You can always arrange your ADR's for later and go after Illuminations. I don't think we have ever eaten at PH before 9 p.m. lol. I have pictures of my 2 girls who fell asleep while waiting for dessert.... sound asleep in PH of all places with all that loud music and noise (this being even more funny since at home my girls are put to bed at 8 pm and at 11 pm are still up talking despite being up by 7 to get older dd off to school.)

Whatever you decide I am sure you will have fun... here's hoping you make it to Illuminations!!

MOJoe
04-25-2008, 02:07 PM
I had 7:15 ressies last week at Rose and Crown. As we finished our meal, Illuminations began.
You will have to make a choice here, cause there is not much of a chance to do both. Downtown Disney is notorious for slow bus service. But even if you catch a cab to Epcot, your ressie is too late to enjoy both your meal and Illuminations.

MuchLovedMama
04-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the info everybody. I'm thinking I'll have to change PH to another night. We are on the Dining Plan so having ate at PH before we wanted to do that again. Having 2 little one's with us aged 5 & 7 I don't think eating there later would work & we have quite a few picky eaters who aren't interested in any of the TS places at Epcot which is why we choose PH for that day. I'll figure it out. Thanks again. I just love this site.

MuchLovedMama
04-25-2008, 02:41 PM
I went ahead & changed it to Rose & Crown. Guess we'll skip PH this time around. I think there will be something for even the picky eaters at R&C. Steak & Fish should suit most everybody so I'm looking forward to it. Thanks again!

EpcotNut
04-25-2008, 04:14 PM
I went ahead & changed it to Rose & Crown. Guess we'll skip PH this time around. I think there will be something for even the picky eaters at R&C. Steak & Fish should suit most everybody so I'm looking forward to it. Thanks again!

Good move! It would have been a shame to miss your only chance to see Illuminations! Enjoy!:thumbsup:

Gator
04-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Good move! It would have been a shame to miss your only chance to see Illuminations! Enjoy!:thumbsup:

I agree. Of the many restaurants I've been to, Planet Hollywood was the worst dining experience I had. Average food, slow service, decor that was tacky. You'll be much happier at the R&C.

Hull-onian
04-27-2008, 11:57 AM
If it is urgent, and you want to be on time for Illuminations, I highly recommend you change your dinner ressie to 6:30 p.m. if you can do it. If not, I highly recommend getting a taxi right to EPCOT. A shortcut would be to take a taxi to the Beach Club Resort, walk through the lobby out the back door, take a left turn, in three minutes you will be in the World Showcase. You will save a ton of time. We just got back from Disney and took taxi's everywhere and it was very reasonable. Think about it. After all, you must make this trip easy for yourself and the rest of your party. Any questions, please ask.

Hull-onian
04-27-2008, 11:59 AM
OOPS!!! Sorry, I didn't see that you changed your ressie to the Rose and Crown. You will love it there. The service and food is excellent, and the viewing for Illuminations is great. Enjoy!! You made a good choice.