PDA

View Full Version : Please Rate & Review the Kona Cafe (Lunch & Dinner)

Jeff G
04-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Continuing with the weekly poll's I'll be starting two more this week.

This poll is to see what everyone who has tried the Kona Cafe for lunch or dinner thinks of it. Please feel free to leave feedback as well.

The options & points awarded are:
4 - Excellent - A don't miss.
3 - Very Good
2 - Average
1 - Poor - Don't waste your time with it.

Past poll averages thus far are as follows. (I'm including the results of the Coral Reef that was started by Disney Yankee):

Flying Fish Cafe - 4.00
California Grill - 3.67
Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue - 3.62
Boma - 3.54
'Ohana - 3.49
Le Cellier - 3.40
Chef Mickey's - 3.31
Garden Grill - 3.21
Biergarten - 3.11
Liberty Tree Tavern - 3.11
50's Prime Time Cafe - 2.94
Coral Reef - 2.75
Sci-Fi Dine In - 2.65
San Angel Inn - 2.46
Spirit of Aloha Polynesian Luau - 2.39

Please feel free to vote in past polls. To view simply click on my name and view the threads I started. I'll update the totals weekly.

Thanks!

(Please note that my intent for the reviews is the full dining experience which includes food quality, entertainment &/or character interaction.)

Jared
04-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Kona Cafe is one of my favorite restaurants, and I try to have dinner there every trip. It is known for the open dessert kitchen, and the pastries absolutely match the hype. I have not tried the new incarnation of the Kilauea torte, but I imagine it is still delicious. I also like the cheesecake and chocolate macadamia nut torte.

The entrees and appetizers never receive enough credit. I love the wings, even though they similar to the ones at 'Ohana. The spicy mustard drizzle makes them a bit better. The crab cakes are good, too. I always order the shrimp and scallops, which are wonderful.

Kona Cafe serves one of the best breakfasts on-property, too!

:tasty:

ElenitaB
04-26-2008, 12:25 AM
I hate to say it but I was not terribly impressed by either my appetizer or my entree the last time I was at Kona (the crab cakes were way overcooked and the shrimp/scallops were rubbery). Everyone has an off night so I certainly wouldn't write off a restaurant where we've enjoyed many a lovely meal in the past. Oh, and our service that night wasn't exactly sparkling either.

RockinRollerMom
04-26-2008, 12:35 AM
We ate at Kona for the first time on our last trip and would definetly eat there again. Great selection, great service and great food. A winning combo for us!:thumbsup:

LandFan
04-27-2008, 09:57 AM
We love Kona! We do it every trip:thumbsup:

SodaPopMGK
04-27-2008, 12:16 PM
My family loves the Kona, one of my sons has food allergies and the chefs at the Kona have always gone out of their way to make it a great experience!

Hull-onian
04-27-2008, 12:26 PM
I picked average. As soon as I told my server I had the DDE plan, she magically disappeared. Service was very slow. :mcoffee: not so good. I guess I am too used to Duncan Donuts. Loved the Tonga Toast though. It was great.
Dinner: It was served family style all you could eat. Again, told server we had DDE, again, slow service. Food was just all right, nothing great. The Ukelelee lady was entertaining. We liked the dessert and ate all of it. But I wouldn't rush back to Ohana any time soon.

mouseketeer mom
04-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Love it, love it, love it.
Love the bread at dinner. Love the wings at dinner, love the scallops shrimp at dinner. Love the macadamia nut pancakes and pressed pot at breakfast.
And especially, especially, love the fluffy light marshmallowy bread at dinner. I have had nothing like it anywhere else in my life. And I am not a bread person. It is heavenly:cloud9:

EvilQueen2006
04-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Kona has the best dessert I have had yet ay Disney. The Kilueau Torte. That alone gives it an "excellent." Also loved the crab cakes! Yummy!

Bethanymouse
04-27-2008, 04:30 PM
We love the Kona! For the last two years we made sure to eat there. It is one of our favorites and I am glad that it is finally starting to get recognized as being one of the good resturants on property!:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
04-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Kona has the best dessert I have had yet ay Disney. The Kilueau Torte. That alone gives it an "excellent." Also loved the crab cakes! Yummy!

Oh yeah, the Kilueau Torte is to die for. We like to end our week at Kona just to have this as the last dessert of the week.:thumbsup:

pcoleman
04-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Anyone think Kona is better than Ohana?

Jeff G
04-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Last year we had an ADR for the Garden Grill but because we were at the MK for the day we decided to cancel that ADR and move it to the Kona Cafe for lunch. At the time of this move I had not read any reviews about Kona and the only thing I could remember was they served Tonga Toast & very good coffee for breakfast. Needless to say we were apprehensive and unsure about this move.

To our surprise this ended up being one of our families favorite meals of the trip. The menu had a great variety of options, the food was fresh and very good, our service was excellent and the desert selection was the best all week.

We found Kona Cafe to be a great place for a relaxing change of pace lunch and would highly recommend it.