PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Homes - How does it work

JMTStone
04-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Yes, I'm getting additional points. My current HOME is SSR. We're getting AKV points to add to our magic. How will it work when I go to make ressies? The points at AKV will be considerably less points but, we still wantt o be able to book there.

When I book, can I book 11 months out at AKV or will I have to split the stay?

Help from my fellow INTERCOTEES would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

aurorafan
04-25-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm new to this (we just closed at AKV), but from what I understand you can make the AKV ressies 11 months out, but only for the number of AKV points you have. So if you have 100 AKV points you can only make a ressie with that many at 11 months out. At 7 months out you can combine the points, provided that the AKV points are an add-on and not a new master contract.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me :)

Tinkermom
04-25-2008, 10:37 PM
aurorafan is correct except that it does not matter if your points are an "add-on" (meaning not a full 160 points) or a new contract. We had both. At one point we had 2 different member numbers (we sold our Hilton Head contract). There is no problem using points from both home resorts. Just remember that you can only book 11 months out using points at your home resort. If you have 200 SSR points and 100 AKV points and you want to stay at AKV using 200 points you will either have to book only part of your stay and then try to add on at 7 months out or you wait until 7 months out and you have 300 points to use wherever you like.

Member services is great with walking you through this as well. Hope this helps!

Mrs Bus Driver
04-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Couldn't you just borrow points on AK (making 100 into 200) and stay there every other year?

FiggyFan
04-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I agree - banking and borrowing to come up with a bigger pile of AKV points makes sense.

Regarding the "add on vs new master contract" comments, I would recommend buying points with the same use year as your original purchase. Having all of your points in the same use year means you have a single membership (add-on); different use years means you have multiple memberships (new master membership). Having multiple memberships makes managing and combining points more difficult.

If you buy from DVC, they will certainly recommend staying with a single use year. If you buy a resale, use year should be an important consideration.

JMTStone
04-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Its perfect. I'm purchasing through The Timeshare Store and the use year is the same as my current SSR points. I'm pretty sure this will work out just fine and DANDY. The bank and borrow will have to wait, though. I already used this years points for our June trip and next years points are for the cruise. Now that I will have AKV, I can book there for a night or two before the cruise as well.

Its all coming together. Even if we have to spit stay 11 months out and then try to consolidate at 7 months, I think it will work out. I love AKL.

Tinkermom
04-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Its perfect. I'm purchasing through The Timeshare Store and the use year is the same as my current SSR points. I'm pretty sure this will work out just fine and DANDY. The bank and borrow will have to wait, though. I already used this years points for our June trip and next years points are for the cruise. Now that I will have AKV, I can book there for a night or two before the cruise as well.

Its all coming together. Even if we have to spit stay 11 months out and then try to consolidate at 7 months, I think it will work out. I love AKL.

Splitting your stay and then trying to consolidate at 7 months out is a great plan! Sounds like you have it all figured out.:thumbsup:

Regarding the "add-on" vs. "new contract"...
I am not sure but even though you have the same use year I do not know if what you are purchasing will be an "add-on". When you buy resale I believe the original contract number stays the same. So I think you will have 2 different contracts. I would ask the Timeshare Store to be sure. DVC may have some way of linking your 2 contracts since they are the same use year. If you find out let me know. :)

Enjoy your new AKV. We stayed there in February and it was just beautiful! It was so peaceful and we loved looking out from our balcony every day to see what animals were visiting us. Have Fun! :party: