PDA

View Full Version : Just Returned! Dining reviews (Rose & Crown)

brewcrew26
04-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Day 5 - Rose & Crown Dining Room

I had made an 8 p.m. ADR in hopes of getting a seat on the waterfront in time for Illuminations (my favorite nighttime show!!). We got to the restaurant about a half hour ahead to check in and see what are chances were.

We got lucky. It was a pretty chilly evening. Being from Wisconsin (and DH is originally from Vermont), we're used to cold. But, we didn't expect it to get this cold in Central Florida. Thank goodness I had my sweatshirt and long pants on. DH still only had shorts and a polo shirt on. Of course, he wouldn't listen to me and get a sweatshirt at one of the nearby shops.

But, anyways, we got seated around 7:45 p.m. on the waterfront. There was a light standard in front of us, but it didn't really impede our vision of the show. Plus, right next to us, there was an awning that had heat lamps so DH could stand under there to thaw out.

Our waiter was amazingly helpful. He gave DH complimentary tea throughout the night to keep him warm. He also stopped to chat with us about his hometown and to tell us a little bit more about the food.

We started out with the cheese platter (we were on a cheese kick for a few days). There was a cheddar, a stilton in a puff pastry and one other cheese that I can't remember. Served with crackers and fruit. It was a great starter. I enjoyed the stilton a lot while DH enjoyed the cheddar. Stilton is very bleu cheese-like and pungent so if you don't like bleu cheese or gorgonzola types, this will definitely be a lot stronger and less to your liking.

For entrees, DH tried the Bangers & Mash. I was surprised how flavorful the "bangers," or sausages were. Coming from an area with heavy German immigrants, our bratwursts tend to be on the spicy side to gain flavor, but the bangers were still flavorful, but not at all spicy. I enjoyed the Leg of Lamb served with mixed greens. It was a bit fatty and the greens, like mint and sage, added most of the flavor to the dish.

Our dessert came just as Illuminations was starting. DH had a warm pudding dessert (he tried all efforts to stay warm!). While I indulged in the guinness cake. Since it was so chilly out, the desserts got cold fast and as we were watching the show and not paying attention to food, the cake got a little cold and tough. I assume when it's piping hot it's amazing.

It was probably one of the most romantic nights of our trip. Being able to sit with my hunny, sip a nice glass of wine, eat really good food, and watch an incredible show. I'd definitely recommend other couples try to land a seat on the patio for the show. But if it's chilly remember to pack a blanket or the proper clothing!

To my surprise, DH didn't get sick (or at least not yet) from turning into a human icicle.

Up next: Crystal Palace character breakfast...

Jared
04-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Sounds like a great meal, and thanks for writing the review. I have never tried the Rose & Crown Dining Room because I've always heard English food is quite mediocre, but I'm glad you had such a wonderful dinner.

Looking forward to the next review!

:tasty:

SBETigg
04-24-2008, 01:42 PM
The Bangers and Mash, truly outstanding. I'm glad you braved the chill to stay outside. It's a great place to watch Illuminations, and very memorable.

Jeff G
04-24-2008, 05:02 PM
We've never tried the R&C so it was nice to read a review. It sounds like a place we'll have to try in the future.

HndrdPrcnt
04-25-2008, 02:49 AM
Thanks so much for the review. We have reses for our trip in Sept for R&C to watch Illuminations. I will take your advice and get there about 30 minutes early to request a waterfront table.:thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
04-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I have never tried the Rose & Crown Dining Room because I've always heard English food is quite mediocre, but I'm glad you had such a wonderful dinner.:tasty:In my opinion is really is mediocre, and the fish and chips are horrible..... but that said .... What a fantastic experience you had with your hunny! I also found the CM's to be lovely to chat with ... and very good servers.

brewcrew26
04-25-2008, 11:54 AM
In my opinion is really is mediocre, and the fish and chips are horrible..... but that said .... What a fantastic experience you had with your hunny! I also found the CM's to be lovely to chat with ... and very good servers.

A lot of times English food is just too bland. They also rely heavily on frying. I've never had the fish and chips at R&C before so I can't say if I'd like it or not.

But I've definitely eaten at some English and Irish restaurants that have had their deal of limp fish and something that attempted to resemble a chip.

I was somewhat disappointed that the dinner menu didn't have the Shepherd's Pie on it anymore. I was going to ask if I could order it anyways, but then forgot when I saw the table we had.

Funcruiser56
05-01-2008, 04:22 PM
We have always enjoyed our meals at R&C, especially the servers- they love to chat and take extra time to make sure your happy.

We had a patio table too on a very chilly evening and our server brought us out some tablecloths to help us keep warm! It is worth the chill to see Illuminations from that spot.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your meal..

Bev

Figment104
05-02-2008, 12:49 PM
R&C is one of my favorite places, but then I was brought up with very English food so that may be why I like it so much. Last year when we were there I had the fruit and cheese platter and now I'm obsessed with cheeses (already sort of was) but also carmalized onions due to the onion jam that came with it. Sounds gross and I've never been fond of onion but now I can't wait to go back just to see what's on the fruit and cheese platter. Hope they still have the mushroom brie :cloud9:

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-02-2008, 02:17 PM
I love Rose & Crown. We tried it on our last trip. I got the cheese platter too. It is so delicious. I haven't tried the bangers n mash. I'm of German heritage too and love sausage but was afraid that it would be bland. Since you say it's flavorful I'll have to try it. It is always nice to hear about their homeland too. It's so interesting. Glad to hear you too enjoyed R&C. Thanks for sharing!

castlelady36
05-02-2008, 03:01 PM
We have ressies as well for our upcoming trip. Though the food is not outstanding it is pretty good and I agree the CM's are very friendly here and really a joy to talk with. Plus we love their accents!!!

MuchLovedMama
05-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Hmmm...I'm getting nervous now because we have reservatoins at R&C in September & I was hoping to have the Cottage Pie (which you somebody says isn't offered anymore) or the Fish & Chips (which somebody said is awful although they advertise "The World's Most Famous") There's 8 of us & we have some pretty picky eaters. Hopefully we can find something to please us all.

brewcrew26
05-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Hmmm...I'm getting nervous now because we have reservatoins at R&C in September & I was hoping to have the Cottage Pie (which you somebody says isn't offered anymore) or the Fish & Chips (which somebody said is awful although they advertise "The World's Most Famous") There's 8 of us & we have some pretty picky eaters. Hopefully we can find something to please us all.

I'd check to see if you can order the Shepherd's Pie during dinner. It's still on the lunch menu. I'd think they could make a special request.

While the menu on Info Central isn't quite up-to-date, there are a few good dishes. The lamb was excellent and DH really enjoyed his Bangers & Mash. My brother recommends a prime rib if it's on the menu on your visit, too.

Some would argue that R&C isn't a must-do, but we really enjoy the ambience and the CMs are very nice and try to make it back each trip. I've always thought the desserts are top-notch, as well.

slegrant
05-03-2008, 12:37 PM
My family & i enjoyed our meal when we were there in January. We all agree that the service is excellent, and it's a great place to watch Illuminations.

Mrs.Mickey
05-06-2008, 07:30 PM
I just made ADR for the rose and crown and was nervous about seeing as I have heard mixed reviews about it. I was glad to see this post it put me at ease. only 136 more days!

Dakota Rose
05-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Did you request waterfront seating when you made your ADR or only when you arrived at the restaurant? Or both? hehehehe :) We get to have "date night" on our next trip, and since we both lived in England, I think this might be a good choice.... hmmm.

brewcrew26
05-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Did you request waterfront seating when you made your ADR or only when you arrived at the restaurant? Or both? hehehehe :) We get to have "date night" on our next trip, and since we both lived in England, I think this might be a good choice.... hmmm.

I made a note that we'd like it when I made the ressies with the CM. Then, we got to the podium 30 mins before our scheduled time and asked if it was possible. They said they'd try their best to accomodate us. I think it was a lot easier to get it on the evening we dined because it was really cold. But definitely ask, it can't hurt.

Enjoy date night! :pixie:

Polynesian Dweller
05-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the review. This was the one place that we had truly awful meals at WDW but your review makes it sound like it may have really improved. Interesting enough that we'll likely give it another try. :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-06-2008, 10:24 PM
We love R&C!

On our honeymoon we were seated outside for the fireworks, and it was just amazing. I did get soot in my food, but they brought me a whole new meal without a question.

The second time we went for lunch, and it was good again. The service is really what wins us over, it has been amazing every time!

The food has been good, but the service we've had is awesome. On our honeymoon we forgot our camera, and the waitress chased us through most of Epcot to give it back to us.

We have ADR's again this trip, and are keeping our fingers crossed for a patio seat, but we'll be happy no matter what.

Cathy S
05-09-2008, 09:59 AM
We never miss R&C. The service is always above average and we love the food. My DS and I always get the mushroom appetizer and it is super. Our entrees have also been good and the desserts during Illuminations are great. Have never been disappointed.

bruin1344
05-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Rose & Crown has awesome food and beer, highly recommend it, especially during illuminations

thejens
05-09-2008, 06:04 PM
We have been to Rose and Crown twice and enjoyed the food both times. I love the fish and chips. We also liked the cheese plate. I can't remember what else we had, but everyone liked their food. I really like the sticky toffee pudding. Where else would you get a dessert like that!!! That being said, it is no Le Cellier! We have never been lucky enough to get a seat with a view, but we still enjoy it. We do, of course, always ask for the patio view, but then so does every other guest so it really is the luck of the draw.