PDA

View Full Version : Moving Rides

sacandjac
04-24-2008, 11:50 AM
My brother 56 has had a partial amputation on both of his feet. Basically his feet start at his arch (no toes and no ball of his foot). He has trouble with really bad pain and mobility/balance. I think I've talked him into a wheelchair, but he wants to board rides and stand in line like everyone else. I'm not too worried about most of the rides, but I am kind of freaked about rides like HM, Buzz, etc.that are moving when you board. He has very little sensation in his feet and probably will not be able to tell the floor is moving. Is there a way to ask the operator to stop the ride? Does he have to have a GAC card to get this done or can we just ask? Who do we ask? Any information appreciated. Most of my family have not been to WDW (him included) and I want it to be a very special trip with no major glitches.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.:mickey:

faline
04-24-2008, 11:55 AM
I know that they stop the rides for folks in wheelchairs who need extra time to transfer from the chair to the ride. Using the chair for these rides might be the easiest way of signalling cast members that some extra time is needed for boarding.

Von-Drake
04-24-2008, 12:36 PM
I would get a GAC for sure. This would limit his time standing, which would probably really help him. I would also call ahead and see what Disney Guest Relations recommend. They would probably be able to help provide you with ride specific information (ie: moving rides).

joanna71985
04-24-2008, 01:59 PM
For moving rides, most can be stopped totally to board. However, there are 2 that can't- Peter Pan's Flight and the TTA. There may be more that I don't know of.

MMouse6937
04-24-2008, 05:58 PM
I swear we saw PP stop to let off a little boy in a wheelchair. Is it different in DL? Maybe that's where I saw it. Hm, wonder what I was seeing.

Anyways, I would go with what people have suggested and get a GAC card. I can tell you at HM my MIL came in with a wheelchair, and we were taking to a stretching room with a back entrance, but when we got to the loading she stepped on the platform and got on. It might be wise to make sure they know in advance that stepping on the moving platform might be difficult.

Have a great trip!

ElenitaB
04-24-2008, 10:54 PM
They can slow or completely stop many rides for boarding. You may want to request a GAC though you do not need one to request assistance from the CMs. Do make sure to use Fast Pass as much as you can.