PDA

View Full Version : College

crazypoohbear
04-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Has anyone attended the college in North Adams Ma. Mass College of Liberal Arts? Use to be North Adams state college I think

Last week we went to Johnson & wales in R.I.
He loved that school and the location

But after financial aid it would still cost 16,000 per year at Johnson & Wales.

At Mass College of Liberal arts in North Adams it would cost about 3,000 per year after financial aid!

Huge difference. I want him to be happy and productive but I can't afford the 3,000 let alone the 16,000!
HELP!

Hammer
04-23-2008, 11:21 PM
To accurately answer the question, we would need to know what your son wants to study in college. If he is interested in hotel or hospitality management, Johnson and Wales is one of the best for that. It could provide him with inroads for a job after graduation. This is not to say it is impossible to do going to another school.

crazypoohbear
04-24-2008, 01:26 AM
he is interested in Marketing/advertising.
Johnson and Wales does have a business and technology campus now as well. this is what we toured last week.
J&W also has "equine studies" as well in providence. We couldn't find the horses in downtown providence though :)
In Providence the Culinary/Hospitality campus is right on the waterfront.
The Business/technology campus is "downcity" it's about 3 blocks from the Providence place mall. Right next to the "dunkin donut" center. AKA providence civic center.

crazypoohbear
04-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Never mind. We just visited MCLA and he absolutely hated it. It was in the middle of nowhere. there was nothing to do, no social scene and it was 125 miles each way. In order for him to come home he would have to either have his parents drive out and pick him up or take 3 buses at $50.00 round trip. But the bus would drop him off in Boston. 35 miles past our house, so we would still have to drive an hour to pick him up and drop him off. The worst part was there was NO cell phone service for 40 miles near the school.
Guess we either have him bite the bullet and pay for Johnson and Wales or find a plan B!
He said he would NEVER go back out there again. So... I told him that unless he did all h is school work and got really good grades that was where he would be!

Alligirl
04-26-2008, 01:16 AM
My DD is a Freshman at St Johns, Queens NY. She knows a lot of students there from Mass. She is a film/tv production major but there is a great marketing program. It is still far from home but there are plenty of activities and they are a subway ride away from NYC. DD has seen 9 broadway shows since school started!! They were generous with scholarship money as well!;)
Good luck looking!!