PDA

View Full Version : Need emotional support...

AXOAlum
04-23-2008, 04:14 PM
So the deal is that my father was diagnosed with a brain tumor (GBM Grade IV) in Feb 07. He had an amazing year, but now, we are heading for the end of this journey. I'm okay with everything - I really am - because we've had 14 months with him so far when we expected a few weeks. We have been blessed with lots of time to spend with him and to get things in order.

My "problem" is that I am trying to book my Disney trip for September, and it is very hard emotionally for me. This will be the first trip we've gone on without my parents - and its not like we are going without them because they are busy or have other plans, its the "reason" that I know they won't be traveling with us this time. We definitely want to go - DS (will be 6yo by then) is begging to go and we haven't been since Sept 06 (we usually go 2-3 times a year!) so its time.

I just need some emotional cheerleading from my fellow intercot buddies - I'm sure that many of you have been in this situation before, and I just need to know that this is the right thing to do. Thanks for the support :mickey:

Hayden's Dad
04-23-2008, 04:36 PM
I feel for you. It is difficult to think of a future without someone especially when you are already on borrowed time. Just keep in mind that you did the most with the time you were given.

Have some pixie dust :pixie::pixie: from someone who understands.

I think you are doing the right thing by planning your trip in September. It will be sad but happy also as you remember all the trips before.

IloveDisney71
04-23-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. My family actually experienced this same issue a few months ago. My DH's mom had been sick for a LONG time and we had many "close" calls with her. We went ahead and planned our vacation. While we were at Disney we got the call that we had been waiting for - she had passed away. We were devastated but it was something that we had been expecting for several years. We decided to finish our trip (2 more days) because we know that is what she would have wanted and my DH wanted to spend as much time with our DD's as possible. It really helped him deal with the loss better than just sitting at home. I know a lot of people won't understand that decision but I think it really helped our family to be able to spend quality time together.
It is totally your decision to plan your trip or not, but I think you should go ahead and plan your trip. I don't think your dad would want you to put your life on hold. It will be a great time to spend time with your DS. Being around your family is the best way to cope with the difficult things in life.
I will say a prayer for your family.

crazypoohbear
04-23-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm very sorry that you are going through this terrible time. I can understand your quandry about booking the trip and making a trip to "the happiest place on earth" without your loved on. It is perfectly human to have a range of emotions in such a short time.
Please remind yourself that you were there when he needed you and you all enjoyed each others company. I believe that he would want you to take you DS and show him the time of his life in disney.... Just like he did for you.

Piglet822
04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
:hug: I lost my dad to a brain tumor 13 years ago - I certainly know what you're going through.
I wish I had some words of wisdom for you - Just know you and your family are in my prayers and I'm sending you lots of :pixie: to help you through this difficult time.

Tiggerlovr9000
04-24-2008, 03:55 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. My family actually experienced this same issue a few months ago. My DH's mom had been sick for a LONG time and we had many "close" calls with her. We went ahead and planned our vacation. While we were at Disney we got the call that we had been waiting for - she had passed away. We were devastated but it was something that we had been expecting for several years. We decided to finish our trip (2 more days) because we know that is what she would have wanted and my DH wanted to spend as much time with our DD's as possible. It really helped him deal with the loss better than just sitting at home. I know a lot of people won't understand that decision but I think it really helped our family to be able to spend quality time together.
It is totally your decision to plan your trip or not, but I think you should go ahead and plan your trip. I don't think your dad would want you to put your life on hold. It will be a great time to spend time with your DS. Being around your family is the best way to cope with the difficult things in life.
I will say a prayer for your family.

This sounds exactly like what happened to us when my MIL got sick and then passed away when we were at WDW; We feel like we did everything we could but how long do you put your life on hold for something that may or may not happen. I know people didn't understand our decision either. I have already told my kids if this happens to me to not feel guilty if they are away and to not break their necks trying to get to my furneral. I won't even know their there and I know they love me. Go on your trip and relish all the memories you have of trips you did make with your parentsto WDW.

mouseketeer mom
04-24-2008, 08:18 AM
My brother was very ill with cancer and died 4 years ago this coming August. He was 43. People may not understand, but planning a trip to WDW helped me thru it. It helped me to shift gears when I needed to, to focus on something positive for my kids and my family in the midst of all of the sorrow. The loss of my brother was unbearable, and it was so very hard too to see my parents lose their only son. They have aged decades in the almost 4 short years since he passed away.
It is the right thing to do. Your child needs to feel that things won't always feel so bad for the family. You need to feel that too. I'm sure more than anything your Dad wants you to have joy and peace in your life. This trip will feel strange without him, but I know you'll be happy you planned it.
I wish you a happy trip, and a peaceful heart!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-26-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm sorry you are all going through this difficult time. I'm glad you got to have this time with your Dad and to be able to come to terms with what is happening. I'm sure it's been a long hard road.
But you should plan the trip. It will help you make it through the difficult times that are ahead of you and allow you to recharge your batteries.