PDA

View Full Version : Backstage Magic Tour

smiles_rock
04-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Just wondering, has anyone done the Backstage Magic Tour? Is it worth the $$$?

I'll be in the World solo for 3 nights in June and was thinking of trying out this tour. I've done the Keys to the Kingdom tour and loved it but I'm hesitant to spend so much money and a good portion of a day on another park tour. The length of time isn't such a big deal, this will be my 3rd visit this year and we have another booked in August. I'm more concerned about spending all that money and being dissappointed. What should I do?

RobWreck
04-23-2008, 09:43 AM
My wife and I did it back in '00 and it was ABSOLUTELY worth the money! It's a GREAT tour...
It's broken up into 3 (iirc) stages, each about producing a different aspect of 'the show'. They do this by highlighting different aspects of the production, ranging from the presentation, too the lighting, costuming, script, music, etc... On the practical side, you go behind the scenes at the American Adventure, Star Tours, the Tower of Terror, Fantasmic, the Electric water parade, Spectromagic, Mama Melrose's, the costume design shop, wardrobe (in the utilidores under the Magic Kingdom) and end your day watching the 3 o'clock parade kick-off from parade central and then take a shortcut to watch it all live on Main Street. I'm probably forgetting a few stops, but my favorite part of the tour was going to the machine shop where the make everything from ride vehicles to the Fantasyland garbage cans. This was, in my opinion, where they literally 'make the magic'. Can't go down to the local Home Depot and pick up those 'brass' bats they have on the chains at the Haunted Mansion... they have to make those (and virtually everything else) themselves. I've been on several behind-the-scenes tours over the years (going back to the special 'educational' classes they offered school age kids back in the early '80's) and this was by far the most in-depth and amazing tour of them all.
:D
Rob

brad192
04-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Oooooh! Thanks Rob! I was considering this tour for my upcoming December trip, but wasn't sure if it was worth the big bucks. I'm now certain I need to plan a day of my vacation around this little gem! C'mon December!! :mickey:

Friend of Figment
04-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I've been on this tour twice and it is absolutely worth it. It was different each time. It really added to my enjoyment of the parks.

2Epcot
04-23-2008, 01:40 PM
I've done this tour also, and it is certainly worth the money. I would not reccomend it to a first time visitor. I think you should enjoy all the parks at least once or twice before doing the backatage tour. I loved seeing all the behind the scenes preperation and technical stuff. I would do it again, and think you will find it very worth the $$$. :mickey:

Added: If you are planning to do this tour make sure you make reservations ahead of time, these fill up quickly.

DakotaDisney
05-27-2008, 11:16 PM
The Tour is Definitely Worth It!!!

I would not reccomend it to a first time visitor. I think you should enjoy all the parks at least once or twice before doing the backatage tour.

I agree I think visiting the parks first makes the tour even more interesting. It is also important to see things the way they are meant to be seen before seing behind the magic.

Highlights of what we saw/did:
behind scenes of American Adventure, cast member area at Epcot, costume department at Epcot, behind scenes at Tower of Terror, Costume Design at HS, lunch at Whispering Canyon, Laundry Department, Ride Creation, Sign Painting, the Utilidoors at MK, great seats for the afternoon parade at MK.