PDA

View Full Version : Do you know someone like this...

KineGirl
04-23-2008, 08:48 AM
When we go to WDW I love all the magicalness of everything! (is that a word??) I love the characters, I love the rides but mostly I love the way it makes me and my family feel :cloud9: My DH however also admires DIsney but for a whole different reason - the business behind it all. The commerce. The marketing. The CROSS marketing. LOL I think he would enjoy our vacays more if he spent the whole time doing seminars. We walk into Mouse Gears and Im like "wow look at all the neat stuff!" and DH is like "wow look at all those happy customers buying all that neat stuff!" We see a Disney movie - Im all "awww.." hes all "whole new line of costumes, toys, figurines, park inclusion, plushes, pins etc..." He also knows that we go year after year and just love to give them our money :spend:. They have a way of making you gotta have something (everything!!) We have yet to have buyer remorse for the money spent at Disney whether its been the "best vacation ever!!!!" or not! And over the past 14 years that comes out to a tidy sum! It fascinates him as a business (finance) person. Anyone else know someone like this? I swear if there was a merchandising meeting going on he'd skip rides to sit in! :mickey:

Now my DF - he always wants the behind the scenes stuff. The maintenance, craftsmanship and artisan carpentry is what draws him.

Im like "you DID see the fireworks right guys?" LOL

Tinkerfreak
04-23-2008, 09:19 AM
DH is in construction so he is always scoping out the architecture (he loves ws in Epcot) and comenting on construction things. A couple of years ago we stayed at the BC and they were working on the roof and I swear if they had let him he would have been up there helping out and checking it all over. :rolleyes:

TinkerbellT421
04-23-2008, 10:00 AM
me and m DBF both work in electrical/fire alarm field so we are always scoping that stuff out. We also love to figure out how things work so we will sit there after a ride saying "well I wonder if this is how they did that". lol. Occupational hazard I guess lol. Not to mention we always are scoping out the fire alarm equipment like smoke detectors, pull stations and all that stuff lol! :blush:

Diznee4Me
04-23-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm a bit of both. I get lost in the magical but I also love to learn about the "how did they do that" aspect - the behind the scenes.

Imagineering fascinates me - everything about it. The paint schemes, the ride systems, how they choose plants/trees/flowers, the details in the storytelling,- I find it all exciting. While on vacation I try to be in the magic with the DW and DD but I still wander off to look at flower pots, fake rocks, and sign posts!:D

By the KineGirl where are you from on the Outer Banks? We love Ocracoke!

cal5755
04-23-2008, 10:36 AM
We are all just lost in the magicalness (if that wasn't a word it is now) of it people here.

I like documentaries about how WDW was built etc. but it isn't anything I think about once I walk through the gates.

TinkerbellT421
04-23-2008, 11:08 AM
We too get absolutely lost in the magic. I meant to explain that but posting at work (shhhhhhh lol) so I got interrupted by someone walking in the office and I had to close out quick lol. We get lost in the magic as well, we dont obsess over it, every now and then we just mention it when something catches our attention. Like how they make nemo and the characters float in the water during the nemo ride lol. Thats cool!

KineGirl
04-23-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm a bit of both. I get lost in the magical but I also love to learn about the "how did they do that" aspect - the behind the scenes.

Imagineering fascinates me - everything about it. The paint schemes, the ride systems, how they choose plants/trees/flowers, the details in the storytelling,- I find it all exciting. While on vacation I try to be in the magic with the DW and DD but I still wander off to look at flower pots, fake rocks, and sign posts!:D

By the KineGirl where are you from on the Outer Banks? We love Ocracoke!

I was reading this and thought "dont we ALL look at flower pots, fake rocks and sign posts?!" LOL :blush: I didnt even realize how much I do that myself until you said that. When I think back about it, I think I have payed more & more attention to the details over the years. The themeing, architecture, little nuances and especially landscaping are part of what is so special about WDW. I'll never forget my first trip to WDW but the return visits have allowed me to really absorb it in in different ways. :cloud9:

I live in Kill Devil Hills, north of Ocracoke, which we love too! :cool:

brad192
04-23-2008, 12:53 PM
This is why I enjoy WDW so much. I'm an engineer, as well as an amateur thespian, so I can not only immerse myself in the Magic, but also put my engineer's hat on and wonder at the technical aspects of the whole operation, and then don my thespian's hat & marvel at all the details in presenting "the show" to everyone. :cloud9:

My friends think I'm weird.... :blush:

Diznee4Me
04-23-2008, 01:51 PM
On one of my first trips as an adult is when the details really hit me. (Who as a kid looks at the details!:D)

Once I started noticing all of the work that goes into making the magic real is when I really started appreciating all of the hard work that everyone at Disney does. Those flower pots and fake rocks may not be noticed to everyone but they would be missed if they weren't there. :D

katzctkpt
04-23-2008, 02:37 PM
I look at each ride and everytime I see something I didn't see before. Like the little rides Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Small World I just love the characters and the feeling of being a child all over again.

Jeff G
04-23-2008, 02:57 PM
My DW gets annoyed while at WDW because I have some of your DH's quirkiness. While at WDW I love the magic but I also am amazed by the skillful marketing they do. One example on the last trip was while resting I was trying to calculate how much revenue an ice cream stand generated per hour and day with the markup.

I'm also a person who wants to know how something works so during a ride or show I'm always half taking it in while looking for how it works and any tricks. Sometimes the groups I'm with appreciate that I can point out the things they miss while other times I've been to to relax and enjoy the ride/show.

KineGirl
04-24-2008, 11:48 AM
My DW gets annoyed while at WDW because I have some of your DH's quirkiness. While at WDW I love the magic but I also am amazed by the skillful marketing they do. One example on the last trip was while resting I was trying to calculate how much revenue an ice cream stand generated per hour and day with the markup.

LOL This is exactly what Im talking about! I can never see what is restful in calculating the #'s but my DH has done that same thing! He even "works" in his sleep at home ...idk how he does it!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-26-2008, 11:08 PM
I used to work for a commercial laundry and one of the guys that works in the plant was going to WDW. He was curious as to how their laundry was handled. I was actually able to call and arrange for him to take a tour of their laundry facilities. He was fascinated and I think that was the highlight of the trip for him.