PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a ticket

pink
04-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Hey everyone! The other day when I was in the mall I came out and saw a man waking around all the cars. I was kind of scared of him until I realized that he was writing up tickets on and leaving them on cars. I didn't realize until after I got home but he gave me a ticket for a pass due state inspection. On the ticket there was a designated spot for him to check off the cost of the ticket to just send it in and plead guilty but he didn't check off anything. There was even a spot for "other" where he could have filled in the cost of the fine and he didn't. My mom says to just send in fifty dollars with a copy of the ticket and call it a day because they're only looking for money on tickets like that but I'm undecided. Does anyone know the approximate cost of a expired state inspection ticket? Thank you. :mickey:

katzctkpt
04-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Can they issue citations if you were parked legally?

DizneyRox
04-22-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm going to guess that they can do what they want. We have seat belt checks all the time and at the same time they check registration, etc. You should call the number and find out what the fine is. You don't want to find out the hard way you have an arrest warrant for unpaid tickets.

pink
04-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Can they issue citations if you were parked legally?

Yes.

I'm going to guess that they can do what they want. We have seat belt checks all the time and at the same time they check registration, etc. You should call the number and find out what the fine is. You don't want to find out the hard way you have an arrest warrant for unpaid tickets.

I looked on the ticket but there was no website address or phone number. That is what I was afraid of- I didn't want to get a warrant for my arrest. I just thought it was strange that they didn't even give me any inclination of how much it was going to cost me. :mickey:

Piglet822
04-22-2008, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't send anything until you can confirm that this is legit. Honestly, it sounds like a scam to me.

crazypoohbear
04-22-2008, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't send anything until you can confirm that this is legit. Honestly, it sounds like a scam to me.

That's what I was thinking myself.
I would call the Registry of Motor Vehicles and find out if the ticket is legit. If it is for an expired inspection then it would go to the registry. If they can't help you call the local PD and ask them about the ticket. they may want you to bring the ticket in to verify that it is legit.
But, Don't pay anything until you find out.
Can you google the address to mail the ticket and see what pops up?

PirateLover
04-22-2008, 09:51 PM
It definitely sounds odd that you were issued a ticket with nothing but an address on it. Usually there is at least a phone number, and these days there's often a website as well. I would definitely do some investigating before you send out any money.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-22-2008, 11:10 PM
I was a part time Police Officer for ten years. Our parking summons do not have a phone number or website address on them. Only the court name and address.
We were taught to circle the amount ($) of the infraction but, there were times we forgot. Not a big deal. As long as the infraction was checked.
I would call the PD that covers the area the mall is in and ask who exactly you should contact in regards to the amount of the ticket. Usually, our Sergeants answered questions like that or, would direct you to call the court that the ticket would be heard in.
I just checked with my husband who is a 911 Dispatcher with the Dept I used to work for. A parking summons for expired inspection is $60 here.
I hope you can get to the bottom of it. I am sure you are going to get your car inspected soon but, remember you can keep getting a summons until it is inspected.

I see you are in NY as well. We are on LI and most departments have part time cops and seasonal traffic cops that ticket in parking lots. We do not have any large malls out here though so I do not know who would be ticketing for those infractions in a mall parking lot. Usually, regular patrols will only ticket Handicap violations in those types of settings. Unless it is a municipal lot, then they ticket for everything. But, each jurisdiction is different.

armywife
04-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Sometimes if you go get your car inspected then take that to the courthouse they can trow out the ticket cost. Make sure you check on that as well.

pink
04-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Thank you for help everyone. I actually googled the address and it gave me this website for the Nassau County police that I didn't find during the first search. (I guess it may have just been a different part of the website that I didn't notice.) Anyways, I said the cost of the ticket(It ended up being $125) and that it was better to just send in the money because it would save me time as my ticket wasn't in reference to any serious offense.

I also already got my car inspected right after I got the ticket so I was ok with that.

I was planning on going in to pay the ticket as I only started this thread the night before I was supposed to appear in court but the next morning but I had car problems and had to wait for my DBF to come and help me. By the time he got there I was already an hour late so he convinced me to just mail in a check. However, before I did I made a photocopy of the check and the ticket for my own personal files. :mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-25-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm glad you figured it all out!:)

DisneyDudet
04-26-2008, 05:46 PM
In Texas, we have it that if you get a citation for expired inspection or registration (max of 2 months expired, I believe), you can get it inspected or pay for the registration, and prove that you did it, and all you pay is $10, and nothing on your record.

Might you have something to that extent?

#1donaldfan
04-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Maybe it's more of a "warning" ticket and once your back into county / state complicance your off the hook......that's why no "amount" was posted....:confused::confused:

MMouse6937
04-26-2008, 11:26 PM
You should live in New Mexico, we have people driving around here with expired registration for YEARS!! It's become a hobby for my dad to see the oldest one he can find! :D

Btw, has anyone ever watched that show "Parking Wars"? It's based in Philly and I have to say, dang, those people go through a lot to get their cars back when they're towed or have tickets.

We still have a lot of land around here so not so much of an issue.