PDA

View Full Version : dining plan question

lupi2279
04-22-2008, 06:28 PM
can a sit down meal be used for a counter meal?

Im not sure if we will be sitting at a resturant every nite.

thanks

MickeyandTink
04-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't know if you still can, but last year we were able to exchange one TS for one CS, plus either two snack credits or a lanyard with two trading pins. We chose the pins since we had plenty of snack credits already. The lanyard was pretty worthless and the pins weren't great, but they were fine for trading with CM's to get something we really liked.

KylesMom
04-22-2008, 11:09 PM
While you can exchange your TS (table service) credits for CS (counter service), you aren't really getting your money's worth out of the dining plan if you utilize it in this fashion. $37.99 a day is a pretty steep price to pay for two counter service meals and a snack.

Remember that your TS credits don't have to apply to just dinner. You could throw in a character breakfast or luncheon, or schedule a signature dining meal (upper tier restaurant such as Cali Grill, Hoop-De-Doo or other dinner show) which would utilize two TS credits. That is where you would see the most "bang for your buck".

There is a very helpful thread at the top of this forum regarding the Disney Dining Plan that will better explain all of the ins and outs of the plan! :mickey:

Natazu
04-23-2008, 05:30 AM
During some busy times, they will allow that. I don't recommend it. You are better off using extra Table Service credits for Signature Dining like California Grill or Flying Fish Cafe.

elmjimmlm
04-23-2008, 09:40 AM
We never tried to do that but with our snack credits we had so many left over that we bought a bunch of candy from our resort before we went home...

lupi2279
04-23-2008, 07:06 PM
the reason I asked this is Im not one to make reservations or plan a dinner. Im all for sitting down and having a good meal. But unlike many eating is not something I want to plan a day around.

So my second question is is it hard to get a sit down meal WITHOUT reservations.

Jared
04-23-2008, 07:36 PM
After reading your two posts, I wonder why you decided to purchase the Disney Dining Plan. Are you traveling during the free dining promotion in the fall? If not, the plan doesn't seem to make much sense for your group.

As Jym said, you can technically trade a table service credit for a counter service credit, but it isn't financially wise. You are better off paying for meals out-of-pocket if you will mostly eat counter service. Remember that the Disney Dining Plan entitles your family to one counter service and one table service meal each day. Therefore, you are paying for a sit-down meal you said you don't want every day. If you will only want to try a couple table service places, you are best off forgoing the plan.

To answer your second question, it is increasingly difficult to have a table service meal without prior arrangements. Many restaurants, especially during the busy season, will turn walk-ups away. I strongly recommend choosing a couple restaurants that sound interesting and making Advance Dining Reservations.

:tasty:

Magic Smiles
04-23-2008, 09:23 PM
the reason I asked this is Im not one to make reservations or plan a dinner. Im all for sitting down and having a good meal. But unlike many eating is not something I want to plan a day around.

So my second question is is it hard to get a sit down meal WITHOUT reservations.

This is the one of the main reasons we do not do the dining plan. The other reason is that we could not possibly eat all of the food that comes with the dining plan. We pay for our meals and do not spend anywhere near what we would on the dining plan.

KylesMom
04-23-2008, 10:01 PM

I would strongly suggest reading this thread if you are contemplating walk-up TS dining:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=131850 It may help in your planning. You certainly don't have to "plan a day around a meal", but it may be wise to plan an hour or two of your day if you are contemplating the dining plan.

Mickey91
04-23-2008, 11:59 PM
If you go with the dining plan, I would at least make ADRs for breakfast. These can be anywhere and you can still go anywhere afterward and not use up much of your day. Otherwise, you can use them on Signature dining or ditch the dining plan idea all together. It is way to costly to trade the TS meals away.

lupi2279
04-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Im actually going next month so everrything is paid for. I mainly baught the dining for the kids. Lets face it (unless prices dropped since the last time I was there) Inside the park there is no way the kids are eating more than a couple snacks on $10

vorchik
04-24-2008, 09:55 AM
can a sit down meal be used for a counter meal?

Im not sure if we will be sitting at a resturant every nite.

thanks

Last August-September it was available during the Free Dining Period (possible exchange of TS to CS plus 2 Snacks). Don't know about the other time periods.