PDA

View Full Version : Epcot : Memories & a couple questions

Marker
04-22-2008, 11:42 AM
So, I'm watching some video I shot on our visit to WDW in '97 and I have a couple questions that many some of our more seasoned visitors can answer.

I've got most of the '97 Illuminations taped. It's a lot different. The opening is really pretty cool, with each country from around the world showcase doing an introduction. And it seems like it's a lot more of a fireworks show, with nearly non-stop fireworks.

So my first question - How many versions of Illuminations have there been, and what years did they run?

Then, I have some footage from inside Innoventions where they "blue screen" you into The Tonight Show with Jay Leno ( or in my daughter's case, into Saved By The Bell). One of the taped questions Jay asks is "So what brings you to the EPCOT Center?", which made me wonder when did the change the name from EPCOT Center, to Epcot. I did notice he also mentions being at the GE booth in Innoventions at Epcot. So he mentions it both ways.

It sure is fun looking at this old footage. Scenes from Dixie Landings, Planet Hollywood, the American Adventure, The Great Movie Ride, and of course my stellar performance in the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.

LauraF
04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Wow, one that I happen to know, because I'm an Epcot geek like that! :D

October(?) 1982: Carnival de Lumiere
1983: New World Fantasy
1984 to 1988: Laserphone(maybe 'laserphonic') Fantasy
January 1988 - 1996: IllumiNations
1996: 25th anniversary IllumiNations
1997: Same show as above but with a music change
1998 - 1999: same show, sans the 25th stuff
Oct 1999 - to present: IllumiNations, Reflections of Earth

Nini
04-22-2008, 10:27 PM
I remember some differences in Illuminations too.

Remember when they used lasers to project the countries of the world onto Spaceship Earth? Or was that done from the inside :crazy:? They actually seemed to spin too!
It seems like there were more lasers used then too, like from the countries, or maybe they just lit them more. I'm not sure but I know I liked it!

I also remember the Jay Leno thing in Innoventions - it's funny 'cause Conan O'Brien often makes jokes where he refers to "EPCOT Center". It's kinda like when people refer to WDW as Disneyland, or vice versa - a milder version of fingernails on a chalkboard.:eek: :nope:

Denise :mickey:

JPelle76
04-22-2008, 10:46 PM
OMG! I remember that! They used a green laser to make Spaceship earth look like a globe! I love reminicing about the disney world of yesteryear!! :D