PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Downtown Disney's Planet Hollywood?

QueenDisneyBound
04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Hi all, we are going to Disney in September and are getting the dining plan. Since RainForest Cafe is not on the list of restaurants participating, we thought we would try Planet Hollywood when we visit Downtown Disney...I would love to hear how your experiences were when you have eaten there. The menu looks great...is it? And how is the atmosphere?
Thanks all for your input!

Deesdisney
04-22-2008, 08:42 AM
In Jan. we went here for the first time and it was OK. We did not have res. and got right in. The food was OK. All we had was the burger. The place is amazing with movie and music artifacts. The place was a little loud. We sat up on the top floor and it was a little better than the bottom one. I always tell people to try it at least once. But before you use a DPP TS make sure if you got the package with room there is not a coupon for $15 off. We got one back in Jan. It almost took care of the bill for me and my DD.

katzctkpt
04-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Our experience was ok. Personally the food is no different than Applebee's or Chili's. So, if you like that type of food you should be ok with it. And if you have the $15 coupon then it $$ saved that you can use elsewhere in Disney.

dolphinmickey9170
04-22-2008, 09:37 AM
I agree with the previous posters about saving the credit for somewhere else. We ordered burgers, they were good. The atmosphere is what I go for. I love looking around at all the movie stuff. It also is quite loud, so if you are looking for quiet, this isn't the place. Just know the later you go in the evening, the harder it is to get in sometimes. Everyone wants to be there in the dark 'cuz it's a much better looking place in the dark!!

IloveDisney71
04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
We ate there once. It was in July around 5:30 and they sat us in the top level where it literally felt like it was 90 degrees. We were actually sweating thru the entire meal. It was an awful experience because of the heat. We asked them if the a/c was working correctly and the waitress said it was. The food was okay - just typical rest. food. The props that they had on display were interesting to look at. We prefer Rainforest Cafe and will probably not eat at Planet Hollywood again.

joonyer
04-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Our family (me, DW & 2 DS, ages 14 & 11) ate there on our last trip in Oct. 2006. We were on the DDP, and had one TS credit left on our last day (travel home day) which we usually spend at DTD before hitting the road (we drive from GA). I found PH to exceed my expectations, I was expecting high prices and poor food and service. We had lunch there (burgers and sandwiches) which were very good. The service was good and we did not have to wait very long for a table, maybe 5 -10 minutes (it was a weekday but we did not have a reservation). The boys loved looking at all the movie artifacts, especially the "Terminator" model. We enjoyed our meal there and would go again, for lunch anyway, especially if were were on the dining plan. I don't remember much about the actual menu prices, since we used the DP credit, but I don't think they were unreasonable. I would say it's definitely worth trying for something different.

NJGIRL
04-22-2008, 10:46 AM
IMO the atmosphere was fun and interesting. The service was a little slow especially since the place was almost empty. The food was OK. If you will be in DTD go ahead and try it but I wouldn't make a special trip there just for PH

Mickey91
04-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi! And Welcome to Intercot!:welcome: We went in Sept and thought the food, service and decor were out of this world!! However, it was way too loud in there for comfort. We had to scream at each other just to have a conversation. My ears were ringing when we left. If they would turn the volume way down, we would definitely go back. The way it stands, we just weren't able to enjoy ourselves and will probably choose not to venture back. At least not anytime soon.

MsMin
04-22-2008, 11:05 AM
I went there in 2004 and haven't been back. I prefer to eat at many of the other great restaurants mainly b/c I don't see it as any different than a Chili's, as mentioned.

elmjimmlm
04-22-2008, 11:12 AM
I didnt care for it...It was too loud and too crowded...We get vouchers every year to go but we havent been back...

Brian
04-22-2008, 01:29 PM
It's worth checking out one time. You can decide after that whether you go back or not.

We used to go once every trip, but have since stopped after getting poor service and poor quality food at the Planet Hollywood in Myrtle Beach. On the other hand, prior to that, we ate at one in Vegas and it was great.

JerseyDad
04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
....the DtD Planet Hollywood is our customary "first night in WDW" dining spot. We've always made reservations...and the only delay in being seated (once) was due to us asking them to wait since all of our party (we had 12) had not gotten there yet. We were seated promptly after we were all together.

The food is quite good in my opinion....and better than some of the competing restaurants mentioned. I always get a steak...and they never fail to please me....the drinks are good (the Bloody Marys called "Blade" & "Interview With A Vampire"...are incredible).

There's a great atmosphere that can be loud...but...that's what the whole place is about.....and it's a great "kickoff" before exploring DtD.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-22-2008, 03:11 PM
We had really good food and service on our last visit...it is a bit loud though

JPL
04-22-2008, 03:17 PM
This is a place that has greatly declined ouver time. It use to be a must do for one night per trip but after my last 2 experiences there it will be quite some time before I go back. The biggest issues I have had were service issues but couple this with the subpar food and it makes it twice as bad.

My first experience dealt mainly with service the food was ok but the service was terrible almost to the point where we were about to walk out without paying the check. We waited about 45 minutes just to get our check after requesting it 2 times from our server. He finally saw us getting ready to get up and leave when he ran over and handed us the check.
The 2nd time it was a really bad combination of both service and poor food. We order our appetizers and drinks and said when the appetizers are ready we will give you the rest of our order the server said well you can give it to me now but I won't put it until i bring your appetizers we said fine. About a half hour later we received our cold appetizers and still did not receive our drinks since a different person brought out the appetizers they said they would let our server know about the drinks. We didn't eat the appetizers since they were cold and were going to send them back but our server was nowhere to be found and still no drinks. Finally out comes our server with the main course and he still doesn't have our drinks. We told the appetizer were cold and un edible and we didn't want them just to take them back and bring us our drinks. We start eating and watch our server to bring drinks to another table mind you has been over an hour since we ordered and we were half way through our meal. We finished eating and still no drinks we see our server and he brings us the check and ask to speak to a manager. Looking at the bill we were not only charged for the appetizers we sent back but the drinks we never received. We flag down our server again still no manager in site he says he can not take either off the bill. At this point I erupt and say well then you aren't getting penny and I am leaving or get me a manager. The manager finally comes over but was talking to the server for quite some time before actually coming to the table. He quickly offers to take 20% off the bill for our troubles and I say we sent the appetizers back and never got our drinks. The manager had the nerve to say that's not what your waiter told me. He agrees to take off the appetizers and drinks off the bill but recinds the 20% off the bill offer. Needless to say we paid for our main course and left nothing for the waiter and vowed it would be along time before we returned this was in 2003 and I haven't been back since.

Jared
04-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Though I don't have a horror story like Jeff (that second one is truly ridiculous, by the way), my family also would not return to Planet Hollywood.

We ate there about 12 years ago and could not believe the noise inside the restaurant. It was actually impossible to have a reasonable conversation because of the insane blaring music and overall din of the dining room. Normally, volume alone wouldn't keep us away, but couple the poor atmosphere with mediocre food, and we'll spend our valuable Disney meals elsewhere.

If you're looking for a Downtown Disney restaurant, perhaps try Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant, which also accepts the Disney Dining Plan.

:tasty:

silentbob007
04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
I go there to blow the $15 MYW package GC for a snack ... off-hours and still loud. ;)

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Like most have said they food is just okay. I think that is why most of them have gone out of business. The atmosphere is neat if you are into movies. For a themed chain definitely not as cool as Hard Rock Cafe is.

If you are looking for something in Downtown Disney Raglan Road is really good and it's on the DDP. Last time I ordered the It's Not Bleeding Chowder. It was absolutely wonderful. Full of seafood and not very soupy. I can't wait to have it again on our next trip.

QueenDisneyBound
04-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Wow, I will have to think that through..maybe we will try the Irish Pub instead...I don't mind loud (Rainforest was like that a bit in DD), but the reviews are very mixed. I did see that on my Magical Journey ressies that there is a $15 voucher, so maybe I'll just use that like suggested.

Glad I asked, and so glad there are so many people on Intercot that are willing to share their thoughts!! Thanks!:rocks::rocks:

GrmGrninGost
04-22-2008, 10:01 PM
We ate there in September. The food was very good and very plentiful! Our waiter was great! The set up of the restaurant was cool! I loved looking at all the movie props and things! But, it was the loudest place I've ever been in! We had to yell at each other ( and the waiter) to be heard. As much as I liked most everything about it, I will not go back because of the noise. :(

onjbj
04-23-2008, 09:12 AM
We had an excellent meal there and great service. Sooo much food- that being said, the noise was insane!! The only reason we wouldn't go back -too noisy!!

cal5755
04-23-2008, 10:09 AM
This is still a must do for us. We have never had bad service or bad food. It is loud but that is part of PH atmosphere. We have been 5 times and never had a bad experience.

I have to say if I had an experience like JPL I would not be going back either.

I would say it is worth a try one time and if you don't like it you dont have to go back.

TGK4LSU
04-23-2008, 02:24 PM
We tried it for the first time last year. The food at Planet Hollywood is ok at best. I have had better at Chilis. It is so loud in there that you have a hard time comunicating with the waiters. I much prefer the House of Blues and The Rainforest Cafe'. I don't think I will return to PH this year or ever for that matter.

Bethis26fan
04-23-2008, 03:46 PM
We've been the last two times and enjoyed it. I don't know if we are going to make it this time due to time.

Gator
04-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Service was slow. Food was just OK and way overpriced. The atmosphere was louder than any place at the parks (including Chef Mickeys). Avoid it if you can. That's my advice.