PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Questions

The Reservoir Dog
04-22-2008, 07:29 AM
As someone who has only got into Baseball in the last couple of years I'm still trying to come to terms with some of the terminology. So if anyone can answer me a couple of questions I will be grateful.

First. What is WHIP?

And also on the subject of being hit by a pitch. If a batter deliberately walks into a pitch is he then allowed to walk or would this be considered bad gamesmanship?

Thanks Everyone.:thumbsup:

Jared
04-22-2008, 08:51 AM
WHIP stands for "walks and hits per innings pitch." It measures how many baserunners a pitcher is responsible for, and many sabermatricians (baseball statheads) say it is the best judge of a pitcher's success. Simply add a pitcher's walks and hits allowed, then divide by innings pitched.

For example, if I go seven innings, allowing five hits and a walk, my WHIP would be 0.86 for the day.

If the umpire decides a batter walked into a pitch or did not make an effort to avoid it, he can judge the pitch a ball and not award the hitter first base. Umpires rarely utilize this rule, but batters are supposed to at least try to avoid inside pitches.

:tasty:

Ian
04-22-2008, 09:07 AM
If the umpire decides a batter walked into a pitch or did not make an effort to avoid it, he can judge the pitch a ball and now award the hitter first base. Umpires rarely utilize this rule, but batters are supposed to at least try to avoid inside pitches.

:tasty:I think Jared meant to say "not" award the hitter first base ...

Jeff G
04-22-2008, 10:26 AM
If the umpire decides a batter walked into a pitch or did not make an effort to avoid it, he can judge the pitch a ball and now award the hitter first base. Umpires rarely utilize this rule, but batters are supposed to at least try to avoid inside pitches.

Does this rule apply at the college level? The reason I ask is that last year during the college world series players were crowding the plater & purposely getting hit by pitches as a way to get on base. I remember this being discussed on ESPN & a few of the national talk radio shows.

EpcotNut
04-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Does this rule apply at the college level? The reason I ask is that last year during the college world series players were crowding the plater & purposely getting hit by pitches as a way to get on base. I remember this being discussed on ESPN & a few of the national talk radio shows.

As long as the batter remains within the batters' box throughout the pitch and subsequent swing (if there is one), and makes a reasonable attempt to avoid being hit by a pitch, it is perfrectly legal to crowd the plate. As a matt of fact, pitchers are taught to pitch on the inside part of the plate as a way to not allow hitters to get too comfortable while at bat. If a hitter goes up and doesn't have to worry about the pitcher throwing to the inside part of the plate, he esentially can cover more of the plate with his swing, thus negating the effectiveness of a pitch on the outside part of the plate. Hope this helps!:thumbsup:

Scar
04-22-2008, 01:06 PM
When in doubt, go to "The Book".
6.08 The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when—

(b) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless

(1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or

(2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball;

If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched.
Source: MLB.com

Scar
04-22-2008, 01:13 PM
... would this be considered bad gamesmanship?Oh, and apparently there is no such thing as “bad gamesmanship” in America, except maybe golf. ;)

Jared
04-22-2008, 10:18 PM
As long as the batter remains within the batters' box throughout the pitch and subsequent swing (if there is one), and makes a reasonable attempt to avoid being hit by a pitch, it is perfrectly legal to crowd the plate. As a matt of fact, pitchers are taught to pitch on the inside part of the plate as a way to not allow hitters to get too comfortable while at bat. If a hitter goes up and doesn't have to worry about the pitcher throwing to the inside part of the plate, he esentially can cover more of the plate with his swing, thus negating the effectiveness of a pitch on the outside part of the plate. Hope this helps!:thumbsup:
Crowding the plate is perfectly legal, but even at the college level batters are supposed to at least attempt to avoid pitched balls. Perhaps NCAA umpires are reluctant to enforce the rule, but it is in the books. The advent of the ridiculous elbow pads hitters now wear has led to batters standing closer ad closer to the plate.