PDA

View Full Version : Special Needs help

WDW1985
04-21-2008, 09:28 PM
My Mom has some physical needs that make the Poly a great place for her since the Monorail is right there and easily accessible. She has trouble walking long distances and prefers to use the electric carts only in the parks.

If you had to pick a different moderate or higher hotel off the monorail system that was a bit more accommodating (in regards to the transportation system) to those will physical challenges what would they be? Disney can be a lot of fun, but sometimes it's very physically challenging!!! :faint:

Thank you so much for any help!

WDW1985
:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
04-22-2008, 06:24 AM
I think the Contemporary with a room in the tower. The monorail is right there. All you have to do is leave your room and go down to it. Very fast and much closer than in the Poly.:mickey:

kakn7294
04-22-2008, 07:41 AM
In regards to a moderate, POFQ would be the only one I would choose for someone with mobility issues like your mom's. The others are huge and you can end up quite far from the bus stops and CBR does not have elevators so any but a first floor room would be an issue. First floor in Building 4 would be perfect at POFQ - it's relatively close to everything and the closest building to the bus stop. I think I have to agree with Stephanie, the Contemporary is probably the most compact as far as layout and getting around the resort, especially if you are in the tower.

MsMin
04-22-2008, 09:22 AM
If I would spend the money on the Contemporary Tower then I would go ahead and get the EVC for the room. Most often they are cheaper than the ones in the park, you don't have to worry about them running out of them before you get there and you have it if you want to do other things like DDT which has a lot of walking.
My dad has limited mobility issues and he prefers the Boardwalk area because you are right in between two parks and he can just scoot right out the room and to a park -- no buses or monorail. Any resort can accommodate you with a room that is close to the central area or the bus to meet your needs when the rooms are available.
When I took my dad in 06 we were 7 and I looked at two rooms @ CR vs a two bedroom villa @ BWV and it was a lot less and we got the kitchen and living room!

Just things to think about!

ElenitaB
04-22-2008, 09:25 AM
I did a trip mid-chemo in 01 during which we were upgraded to a Contemporary tower room. I still wasn't using an ECV "full-time." The room location was a huge blessing as we were able to exit the monorail and elevator it straight up to our room. It was a great location for me, and my DS (then 6) loved it as well (for years afterward he begged me to leave our current apartment and move to the one at the Contemporary ;)). It's also very convenient to the Contemporary's food court... again, just an elevator ride away. The other perk: the room's are huge.

We've also stayed at POFQ (our favorite moderate) and agree that not only is the smallest of the resorts, but rather well laid out. When you make your reservation, have them note a request for Bldg 4 or 5, stating that someone in your party has a medical issue and you would like to be close to the main building and the bus stop.

One last recommendation: if your mom would benefit from it, rent an ECV for the entire trip. That way you won't have to get to the parks super early to procure an ECV (they're "running out" of them these days) and you'll also have it to use around your resort and at DTD.

Have a great trip!

WDW1985
04-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Wow, these are all great tips. Thanks for the help. One question: Where do you rent the ECV for the entire trip? Are they the same ones that are used in the parks or are they from an outside place?

Thanks again!

WDW1985
:smickey:

TheDuckRocks
04-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Wow, we used to have a sponsor right here on Intercot that rents them but I don't see it listed any more.
You can Google "Olando ECV rentals" and come up with some options. I have used both Scootarama and Care Medical in the past. The equipment from Scootarama was in much better shape.
The prices at the parks have recently gone up quite a bit so renting from an outside souce should be less by far. If your mom is worried about getting on and off the transportation, tell her not to be. With the very helpful CMs she will be a pro at it in no time.