PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July week

3beauties
04-21-2008, 09:11 PM
HI,
Were going to Disney July 1 to July 10. I heard the 4th will be crazy, but how about the rest of the week? Does the crowd usually die down?
I'm also going with a first timer and i don't want his thoughts on Disney to be so negative that he'll never go back. I'm already regretting picking this week!
Thanks

DizneyRox
04-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Well... Sorry to break it to you, but really, it's not going to be much better any time around the 4th. The parks will be very close to capacity the entire time. The water parks WILL be at capacity.

The weather will be miserable. Mid 90's every day, 100% humidity at times.

Lines are long and people don't seem to shower as much as they should.

My advice, take that information and plan accordingly. It's very possible to have a great time during the 4th of July. We do it EVERY YEAR! We've been going since the Pink Castle Cake and love it every year. You're not going to be able to get everything in. I would make sure you have a number of ADRs made, but remember, they won't get you into a park.

Also, drink TONS of water. I would plan on at least a gallon, maybe two a day. I'm usually finishing my second 20oz bottle as I enter the turnstyles in the AM. In that heat, if you get dehydrated it will makes everything worse.

AuntLaura
04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
We have gone the past 2 years and loved it. Yes, it is crazy/busy. We stayed at FW. They had a 4th of July parade through the campground where the guests decorate their golf carts. The 4th of July Fireworks at EPCOT made it worth going. Since the 4th is Friday this year, I don't know what to tell you about crowd volumes pre or post holiday. Just pace yourself and have a good time.

indytraveler
04-21-2008, 11:57 PM
By my signature this is the time of year we have gone the last 9 years. However, this year the string is broken:sad:
We have never been on the fourth but pretty much everyday around it. Utilize the EMH. Probably PM. Take a lunch, or break where you get out of the sun for an hour or two. GO at an even pace. 9 days at the parks is plenty. You'll have lots of fun.
Keep in mind the rain showers that come in the afternoon and hopefully blows through in time for the parade.
Crowds are full these days, but the 4th is on a Friday this year and both weeks will be busy. Not too worry. I was there during New Years' week 2 years ago and it was worse than the 4th week by far. Good news is that these are usually the longest park hours of the year so that helps.
Yes, the heat is awful. so have plenty of water with you so you don't dehydrate.

JPelle76
04-22-2008, 11:55 PM
That's exacly where I'll be this 4th of July!!! can't wait!!!! We went a few years back but we flew down on the 4th, and thanks to a lightning storm preventing the luggage car to go back and forth to the plane and bag claim, it was almost 10PM by the time we got to our hotel. The rest of the week was very crowded and very hot, definatly use those fast passes!!! I usually find Epcot isn't as bad just because the park is so huge and when you are inside a pavilion 1) it's air-conditioned and 2) usually there is more then one actraction or shop inside the AIR-CONDITIONED pavillion!!! Did i mention air-conditioning! :D

Tygger7
04-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Well... Sorry to break it to you, but really, it's not going to be much better any time around the 4th. The parks will be very close to capacity the entire time. The water parks WILL be at capacity.

The weather will be miserable. Mid 90's every day, 100% humidity at times.

My advice, take that information and plan accordingly. It's very possible to have a great time during the 4th of July. We do it EVERY YEAR! We've been going since the Pink Castle Cake and love it every year. You're not going to be able to get everything in. I would make sure you have a number of ADRs made, but remember, they won't get you into a park.

Also, drink TONS of water. I would plan on at least a gallon, maybe two a day. I'm usually finishing my second 20oz bottle as I enter the turnstyles in the AM. In that heat, if you get dehydrated it will makes everything worse.

My thoughts exactly. We've gone down over the 4th twice and after the last experience, it's the last time we'll go at that time. I will say though, since you're there, plan on watching fireworks at Epcot on the 4th....they do Illuminations, and then immediately do another unbelievable display for the 4th of July. Just be prepared and try to plan accordingly.

Good luck!!!

doodleboy
04-23-2008, 09:07 AM
We took that trip a few years ago. All of the things mentioned above are true, so I won't go over it again. I can tell you that it helps to be staying on property, so that you get guaranteed access to the parks. At one point on July 3rd, the monorail to MK and MK were closed to people not staying on property. Those people were extremely irate with CM’s to the point I felt nervous a riot would breakout. I have never heard people yelling at CM’s in that fashion before. I also felt that the crowds would have been more manageable without strollers. I said that I would not take this trip again until kids were able to be more self sufficient, carry their own backpacks, and be out of strollers. I can tell you that we never enjoyed the pool area more, and ran on very little sleep from staying up so late. I love the long park hours at that time of year. As mentioned a couple of times above ADR’s are crucial at that time of year. Have a blast, you're going to WDW!!! :party::party::party:

Here we go again...
04-23-2008, 09:25 AM
I guess it is all in the way you look at it... we were there for the 4th of July last year. We expected the worst and really had a great time.
It was very hot, but no hotter than going at the end of July.

Take it slow, use Fast Pass and schedule lunches or dinners for breaks. Do not try to see it all or do it all because you will burn out.

Remember sunscreen!I hate seeing so many burned people in the parks... that really will make you miserable.

I would go back during 4th of July again. The fireworks in Epcot are more are amazing than every.

onjbj
04-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Everything thats been said so far is dead on. We were there for the week of the 4th in 2006. We were there for 10 days- some before the 4th and some after, the crowds were huge the whole time. It was our first trip on property with kids, so we had nothing to compare it to. Having been back since then in Sept, I don't think we'd go back at such a crowded, hot time. We had a great trip in July though and so will you!!!

lockedoutlogic
04-23-2008, 10:08 AM
I have to concur.....anytime within 2 weeks of a holiday these days is bad.....the middle of the summer.....really bad.

the weather will be hot....but by that time it will be 90 pretty much everywhere in the country at that point....

the disney squeeze continues....so until the economy falls a bit..... they're gonna be packed.

katzctkpt
04-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Ok, well we were there last year on July 1 and it was very crowded. I'm sorry to say this is a bad week. First off I would get to the parks early (opening) ride as much as and FP until you can't stand standing in line anymore then return to your resort for a afternoon swim, nap etc...go to an early dinner. Then return to one of the parks that is not offering EMH until that parks closes. Then swing back to the park offering EMH and finish it off. The only guest in the park will be those staying at onsite resorts.