PDA

View Full Version : Idol winner Jordin Sparks suffers vocal damage

PirateLover
04-21-2008, 02:56 PM
I truly feel bad for her... I hope she recovers.

From the NY Post:
'AMERICAN Idol" Jordin Sparks has been struck with a career-threatening throat injury that has forced her to cancel three shows over the weekend.

Sparks, who is only 18 and about to start the biggest tour of her life, is suffering from "an acute vocal cord hemorrhage," according to officials.

The reigning "American Idol" winner canceled a concert at Penn State scheduled for last night, an Earth Day show on the National Mall in Washington, DC set for yesterday and - most importantly - the first night of the Alicia Keys tour where she is the opening act Saturday night.

"Because of the risk of permanent vocal cord damage, Sparks has been ordered to strict vocal rest and will not be able to perform anywhere until her condition improves," said a spokesman for the arena at Penn State.

Sparks, her family and reps from her management team at 19 Entertainment could not be immediately reached for comment yesterday.

A medical Web site for the University of Pennsylvania described bleeding in the vocal cord as "a serious problem . . . caused when a person who has laryngitis uses their voice at the height of infection.

"Some severe cases may require laser microsurgery."

The description of the problem as "acute" also indicates the injury may be severe.

That no one from her family or record label was returning calls yesterday to explain the extent of her problems did not help calm the fears of fans either.

Calls to "pray for Jordin" were all over the "Idol" sites yesterday.

The scare comes just as Sparks was standing on the brink of stardom in her own right.

poeticeclipse
04-21-2008, 03:10 PM
WOW!

I really hope she heals quickly and without much pain. Whether her career will still be there when it's all overwith really isn't the important thing... her health is number one.

A few years ago, the lead singer of the Rascall Flatts had major vocal surgery. The doctors told him that if he didn't stop abusing his voice by singing through his nose that he might never be able to sing again. Luckily, he came out alright and is back to his old self.

Very scary...

joanna71985
04-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Oh no! The poor thing. I wish her all the best, and hopefully she gets better soon.

DisneyDog
04-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Is that what happened to Julie Andrews?

I believe Phil Collins went through something similar a few years back as well.

PirateLover
04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
I could be wrong but I think Andrews had nodules that had to be removed. They are a bit different and not as serious. Jordin's camp has come out and said she should be back in action in a month and that it isn't "career-threatening" but many doubt that this is the true story. For her sake I hope it is because she is way too young to have her career stopped already.