PDA

View Full Version : The Original Soarin'

fysh
04-21-2008, 09:51 AM
I think that my biggest disappointment at WDW was when they stopped operating the ride which was the original Soarin'. I'm talking about the WDW Skyway.

Man oh man. I miss that ride. Flying over Fantasyland, Over Dumbo, over the Teacups, over Autopia, gliding to a smooth landing in Tomorrowland. Looking out over the park, the people, the rides. A bird's eye view of the Magic Kingdom. The original Soarin'.

I just watched a video of the Skyway ride on youtube and it made me a little nostalgic and I just needed to say something. Thanks for reading.

Tigerinvestigator
04-21-2008, 11:25 AM
I will plunge down splash mtn., go looping through Rock n Rollercoaster, yawn in the elevator at TOT, and basically ride any amusement park ride known to man....except that Skyway! Something not natural about riding over hot rock hard asphalt in a plastic bucket on a wire that looks like I could cut with a pair of scissors! :thedolls:

CU Tiger
04-21-2008, 12:21 PM
I am with you on missing the skyway. I loved the view and the ability to get a little rest while going from one area of the park to another. :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
04-21-2008, 12:44 PM
1) I go along with the "missing it" sentiment.
2) I loved the view and the experience.
3) first time I got that was at the 1964 World's Fair.

NOTE: As much fun as it was in the bucket, I think the people underneath got a different experience with objects, spilled soda, and spittle coming down from the buckets.

SBETigg
04-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I really don't miss the Skyway. It was a little low-tech, behind the times for a park like WDW to me, though I'm sure that wasn't the case when the park opened.

SpaceMtn101
04-21-2008, 01:00 PM
but dont forget the reason they stopped was for safety issues and very few parks have such an attraction left.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Because having large, metal rods in the middle of the Lightning Captial of the World with cars suspended from them was a great idea!

Which is one of the main reasons they took them out, as well as things like Grad Nite, in which inappropriate things would be left and found. Put a couple of young teens or a newly wedded couple in a small, dark buggy with no one else and see what the result is.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-21-2008, 03:03 PM
My DH still talks about the Skyway, and that he misses it!

I didn't get to go to Disney as a kid, so I don't remember them, but boy does DH miss them too!

brownie
04-21-2008, 04:14 PM
The San Diego Zoo operates one, and I believe Cedar Point still does too.

Jasper
04-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Add me to the list of those who miss the skyway! I loved it because you saw beyond the glitz and glamor of the pretty facades Disney put up for you. When traveling overhead in your little bucket you got the chance to see that behind the beautiful facades were these everyday buildings that housed all the magic. It always felt like a cheap thrill way of seeing behind the magic!

BluewaterBrad
04-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I miss it too!:mickey:

DisneyWizard
04-21-2008, 05:48 PM
I miss the transportation element of it - I always thought it was an eyesore though.

MickeyandTink
04-21-2008, 06:55 PM
The San Diego Zoo operates one, and I believe Cedar Point still does too.

We rode on one in North Pole, Colorado (just outside Colorado Springs) two years ago. It was awesome, but Soarin' does a pretty good simulation if you can't have the real thing.

jszczur5
04-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Add me to the list of those who miss the skyway! I loved it because you saw beyond the glitz and glamor of the pretty facades Disney put up for you. When traveling overhead in your little bucket you got the chance to see that behind the beautiful facades were these everyday buildings that housed all the magic. It always felt like a cheap thrill way of seeing behind the magic!

Whenever we see "behind the magic", we refer to it as "Disney Guts". Each year, we drive around to find some more. We got lost coming out of Fort Wilderness last year, 'cause hubby thought turning left instead of right would be some kind of short-cut. Oh boy, lots of "Disney Guts".

SpecJoe Magic
04-23-2008, 04:47 AM

I understand why seeing behind the magic has an appeal, but I found it curious that Disney would go to so much trouble to disguise the everyday buildings only to have some of them revealed from the Skyway. I liked the Skyway, but it wasn't one of my favorites. The wait time was usually very long so walking between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland was usually much faster. It wasn't a time-saving form of transportation. It was, however, a nice ride if you just wanted to rest your feet and enjoy the view.

fysh
04-23-2008, 07:05 PM
I will plunge down splash mtn., go looping through Rock n Rollercoaster, yawn in the elevator at TOT, and basically ride any amusement park ride known to man....except that Skyway! Something not natural about riding over hot rock hard asphalt in a plastic bucket on a wire that looks like I could cut with a pair of scissors! :thedolls:

Well, I guess a zip line ride:thumbsup: wouldn't interest you either.:D

:fish:

elmjimmlm
04-23-2008, 07:18 PM
I remember it but I dont think that I rode it...I like the idea of it...I wish they still had it...

EvilQueen2006
04-23-2008, 07:59 PM
I love all the thrill rides at Disney . . . but the Skyway, that was one ride I was SCARED on. The last time I rode it I had my daughter with me. She was 2 yo at the time. I had visions of her falling out through the entire journey across tomorrowland and fantasyland. There was no way I could enjoy the ride or the view. I have since ridden on a similar type of ride at Busch Gardens. My daughter was not with me, and I was able to relax and enjoy it. . . a little.

JPL
04-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Because having large, metal rods in the middle of the Lightning Captial of the World with cars suspended from them was a great idea!

Which is one of the main reasons they took them out, as well as things like Grad Nite, in which inappropriate things would be left and found. Put a couple of young teens or a newly wedded couple in a small, dark buggy with no one else and see what the result is.

The real reason the skyway disappear was maintenance expense. It was extremely costly to maintain. It was cheaper to remove than keep and was one of the first things to go during the major cutbacks along with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Disney floated lots of rumours about why it disappeared including the death of a worker (which was a true story but it operated for a long time after the incident).

Mickey91
04-23-2008, 10:23 PM
We loved it! Wish it was still there!:(

Jodileigh
04-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Oh gosh, I miss it SOOOO much! When it went away, it was like losing a part of my childhood.... It was ALWAYS a favorite of mine. Then a while back I was watching an old video taken at DW back in 1997 when my parents and I took my oldest ds who was 2 at the time. Of course, part of the video was taken on the Skyway (or guyway as Brandon called it back then!) and it just made me so sad to know that Justin was never able to enjoy it like Brandon and I did.... Oh gosh, how I miss it!

Jodi

GrmGrninGost
04-25-2008, 12:40 AM
I miss it too! It was really cool being up above and looking down on Fantasy Land and Tomorrow Land! Especially at night! :mickey:

Main Street Jim
04-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Flying over Fantasyland, Over Dumbo, over the Teacups, over Autopia, gliding to a smooth landing in Tomorrowland. Autopia?! :) LOLOLOL...(pssst...we have the Tomorrowland Speedway...DisneyLand has Autopia...)

Anyways...another reason I've heard for the closing of the Skyway was the multiple daily closures/re-openings due to the weather. Even if it was just a bit windy, it'd have to shut down. Along with the "lightning-rod factor" of the towers, I'd say that was one of the major reasons along with the high maintenance and low capacity. And from what I understand (and have heard through others in Tomorrowland), the buckets are still in the Tomorrowland station maintenance bays.

dumbo ears
04-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Ive never ridden the skyway because it was gone by the time I first went. Ive seen the youtube video about it and i think I would have enjoyed it.

fysh
04-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Autopia?! :) LOLOLOL...(pssst...we have the Tomorrowland Speedway...DisneyLand has Autopia...)

Oooops:blush: You're right. Sorry 'bout that:confused:

Anyhoooo, I miss the one at Disneyland too.:D

:fish: