PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone like the new Spaceship Earth?

SpecJoe Magic
04-21-2008, 08:00 AM
I've seen numerous negative reviews of the new Spaceship Earth at several places on the Internet, and I think that either those who like it are not as outspoken or there are very few who like it. I want this thread to be a place for fans of the new Spaceship Earth to express their feelings about it. Feel free to compare it to the previous version, and a few negative comments are okay, but I want this thread to be positive for the most part. I haven't experienced the new one yet, but I plan to ride it in about a month so I will reserve judgement until then.

Marker
04-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Yes, I do like it.

I agree, those with negative commentary are often more vocal that those with positive comments.

Specific comments -

- I do perpaps like the old narration better, I do not dislike the new one. Although for me, it's not so much the voice difference, but rather the tone of the narration. I think the new version sounds aimed at a younger audience. Some of the wording sounds a bit more elementary. But I'm ok with that. Perhaps it will better catch the ear of younger folks, and still get the message out for us no as young folks. Also, I did find it easier to hear and listen to.

- I liked the mammoth hunting video image at the beginning.

- I thought many of the usual scenes looked better much

- the first think I noticed that I "missed" were the light chariots travelling down the road. Although, I like the look of this scene much better now. While I always got a kick out of the light chariots, they were kind of corny.

- I'm not bothered at all with the computer interaction on the decent, as many seem to be. I think it's a creative use of that transition time, and would be a nice touch for kids. Although, after riding it a second time, I was hoping that the image of the future that it drew would have been different based on the answers to the questions. I got a real kick out of the way they used your face on the story of your future. And I loved the map that shows where people are from (although I suspect some will locacte themselves in odd places just for kicks).

Granted for frequent return riders it might get old, but for the audience that does not return as frequently ( likely the significant majority ) I think it's a really nice addition, and a draw for younger riders.

- I liked the computer lab and the garage scenes, I think they are nice additions.

- I kind of missed the kids talking from different countries via video phone, but it's depiction of the "future" was really not so futuristic anymore.

- I thought that it looks like they might have left room for another scene right before you come into the view of the earth space. Perhaps some flexibility for a future revision.

My one question though. What's up with the paper boy? You know, the kid selling papers on the street corner. He was back in the corner facing the wall. That looked really odd. There was a stack of newspapers out front, but the paper boy was in back facing the wall.

So all-in-all, I think it will have a greater appeal than ever before for younger and less frequent riders. And, I liked it too.

CaptainSad
04-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Going up is great. Going down is horrible. I still like Jeremy Irons and Walter Cronkite better.

like2workout
04-21-2008, 09:29 AM
I love it!!! i've only done it once, but looking forward to doing it again. it has most of the old favorite aspects still there, but plenty of updates too.

big blue and hairy
04-21-2008, 09:40 AM
I too,like the refurb of Spaceship Earth. DW and I hadn't ridden it in a while and I had completely forgotten about the light chariots!

As for the paper boy, something must have malfunctioned with him, because we rode it when it first reopened unofficially and he was facing you. I noticed that too the second time. Anyone know what happened to him? Was he bad? Is he being punished?

:sulley:

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
04-21-2008, 10:57 AM
I did not like it. At first, the "movie" at the end was fun..the first time.
Going up is pretty cool but I liked the old version better.

The one thing that really ruins this ride is the narration. Jeremy Irons was perfect as narrator, Judi Dench just doesn't do it for me :)

JPL
04-21-2008, 11:10 AM
I loved the work they did on the first half of the attraction. I can't stand the new Narration by Judi Dench. I absolutely hate the new ending the video segment are lame and face recognition software makes it look like a poorly done cut and paste job.

Ian
04-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I really enjoyed the first half, up until the descent (outside of the new narration, which I don't like ... I think it lost the majesty that the Irons narration had).

The descent I think is one of those things that, the first time it might be mildly entertaining, but after like 5 times of seeing the same low-quality animation it's going to get very, very old.

I would have much preferred to see them do something with the 2nd half that was up to the standards of the first half.

Marker
04-21-2008, 11:48 AM
The descent I think is one of those things that, the first time it might be mildly entertaining, but after like 5 times of seeing the same low-quality animation it's going to get very, very old.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but to be fair, after 5 times the entire attraction, any attraction for that matter, is the same thing over again. And probably the vast majority of riders experience it once or twice in their life, or every several years anyway. If that is indeed the case, then it would not become nearly as repetitive to the average rider.

Wouldn't it be interesting if they had the narration recorded by 4 or 5 different people, and the presenter you got to hear on any particular visit was random.

Or, if you could select a "level" of information you wanted to hear, and based on the selection the amount and type of information presented varied.

darthmacho
04-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Let's look at the bright side, whether you like the new version or not, we should all be thankful that it didn't turn into Stitch's Earth, or Spaceship Wall-E, or worse, some some sort of rollercoaster. I already miss the Jeremy Irons narration though, and I haven't even seen the new one. :confused:

ASweetLov
04-21-2008, 02:26 PM
I loved the old spaceship earth. I havent been on the updated one but I will be next April. Hopefully it isnt bad.

MOJoe
04-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I very much agree with Marker regarding the narration and added scenes. And Ian's point is well taken also. My family is a prime example of how quickly the annimation inspires silliness. On only our 2nd trip to SE, my sons, 9 & 14 crossed their eyes and stuck out their tongues for the picture. I must say it was hillarious. So much so, that i don't remember what "my future" looked like. I was too busy watching their funny faces bounce across their screen.
I think the idea of creating our own future has value. But the way it is done here is not powerful enough to deter such tomfoolery.

xipetotec
04-21-2008, 03:59 PM
I've seen numerous negative reviews of the new Spaceship Earth at several places on the Internet, and I think that either those who like it are not as outspoken or there are very few who like it. I want this thread to be a place for fans of the new Spaceship Earth to express their feelings about it. Feel free to compare it to the previous version, and a few negative comments are okay, but I want this thread to be positive for the most part. I haven't experienced the new one yet, but I plan to ride it in about a month so I will reserve judgement until then.

Although I DO prefer the voice of Jeremy Irons, I really enjoyed the new Spaceship Earth. I find it relevant, interesting, and contrary to many, I really enjoyed the descent part as well!

My Father laughed out loud at "our future" and really enjoyed that bit.

My brother who had a good time making fun of Epcot for its outdated view of the future came out ( in part because of this ride ) thinking a lot better things of epcot.

DW, DS1, DS2 and DD all loved this new instance.

So there.

P.S. We also like Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor

P.P.S. We find Sorin to be an "okay" attraction.

Septbride2002
04-21-2008, 04:53 PM
we thought it was great. I like the new scenes on the inside - including the video footage of the hunt. I thought all the scenes looked brighter and fresh. I don't know what the paperboy did but he was facing the corner when we went through last week. :)

I liked that they still had Rome Burning, and the sleeping monk.

I'm not thrilled with Judy Dench as the narrator - as I love the voice of Jeremy Irons. However it isn't terrible, I mean lets be honest we would rather listen to Judy Dench then Fran Drescher!

We liked the interactive part - we thought it was fun and we enjoyed seeing what everyone else in our group choose for their version.

~Amanda

PS - I was disappointed by Soarin.

BluewaterBrad
04-21-2008, 05:39 PM
I have to say I like the new version. Maybe the end might get boring , but it has not happened yet!:mickey:

DisneyWizard
04-21-2008, 05:47 PM
I enjoyed it. I thought it was a needed update to the aging ride - while still keeping within the spirit of the original.

The Narration was WAY too loud. It hurt my ears.

And they still need to add padding to the seats...

wendy*darling
04-21-2008, 06:02 PM
My DS has had a chance to ride this- a couple of times on his recent senior trip.
He and his friends enjoyed it. He said Judy Dench was good. He liked the new scenes. And they (being silly high school seniors) enjoyed the video animation on the descent.
And as one poster already suspected- yes- someone entered that he was from Nepal or someplace that was not New Jersey! ;)

wendy*darling
04-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Hey stranger!! :wave:
Good to "see" you again Casey!
And they still need to add padding to the seats...
I agree- padding would be nice!

DizneyFreak2002
04-21-2008, 06:52 PM
I have not seen the new Spaceship Earth in person yet.... I watched some video of it... I am not too fond of the narration... Kinda dry... But the show scenes looks awesome...

Kerry823
04-21-2008, 08:44 PM
I loved the old version with Jeremy Irons as the narrator. I do like the new scenes, but can't stand Judi Dench as the narrator and the fact there is little to no background music. I miss the city at the end and I think the interactive part is probably funny the first time but after that it is just boring.

As I said in another thread, Spaceship Earth was one of my favorites and I rode it many, many times per trip. Last week, I rode it once and will probably never ride it again. In my opinion, they ruined it with the horrible narration. Bring Back Jeremy and the music!

Speedy1998
04-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Love the new version, thought the original was getting old and tired. Thought the video coming down was kind of corny, but liked the digital post cards we were able to send ourselves with pictures from the video.

cal5755
04-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Glad to see some positive comments!! We will be seeing the new version for the first time in Sept. Sounds like it might still be good after all :mickey:

I hope so because it is our tradition to ride that first when we enter Epcot.

Laughin' place
04-22-2008, 01:31 PM
I am trying to keep optimistic, so thanks for this thread, Joe. DS 15 is very pessimistic, as this was one of his fav rides....
I didnt know that the futuristic tower city and the music was gone ! I consider that BAD news. I loved the sweeping, inspiring music at the end, and tho the model of the city of spires was kinda corny, I loved it. Te music and scene were perfect transitions, and some of my favorite relaxing/cooling off/day dreaming moments came on the descent. Gonna go listen to the closing theme now on my ipod (which I may smuggle along on the ride). See ya real soon, Mickey (38 days ):mickey:

elmjimmlm
04-22-2008, 02:31 PM
I did enjoy the old one and I am looking forward to the new...:mickey:

WLD4
04-23-2008, 07:57 AM
"Little to no background music"? There's a whole new score by Bruce Broughton, and it's very nice. (It could be turned up louder at times, though.)

I also don't like Judi Dench's narration (although the script isn't her fault), but the updated scenes are good. And, as frequent visitors, we have fun with the video by answering the questions differently each time.

Here we go again...
04-23-2008, 09:33 AM
I did not like some of the changes, but did enjoy watching our future at the end.
The narrator just does not seem to fit, and as someone else said seems a little elementary.
I do not like that they took the theatre sceen out and why won't they use Steve Job's name?
It is also nice to have some interactive stuff for the kids to use and cool off with on a hot day.

Crow
04-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Ok Ill try to think positive:goodbad:
they didnt close it completly
they did spruce up the first half
i still almost doze on it after:beer:
the last half drew a laugh....well 1 time at seeing our faces on the animation
I did get to pick what part of the world i wanted to be from
Rome still smells burnt
BUT
the horse isnt running away
the paperboy looks like hes trying to
the last half is wasted space now. I guess when the removed the wand it took part of the ride with it
they could have done the animation screen at the exit area

katzctkpt
04-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Last yr when we were there it was opened for about a week or so after they'd done a little bit of work. So, we did ride and I really couldn't tell anything that had changed a whole lot. But, I read that the change is now noticeable so, we'll ride it in Dec. Only 246 days to go!!

dumbo_buddy
04-23-2008, 11:10 AM
- the first think I noticed that I "missed" were the light chariots travelling down the road. Although, I like the look of this scene much better now. While I always got a kick out of the light chariots, they were kind of corny.

i miss them too! every time we went on in january i kept staring and waiting for them! they should put them back in!

i like the remodel. it's fun. i like the ending.

dumbo ears
04-23-2008, 04:11 PM
I like it a lot. the ending and narration isnt as bad as the old one but it still looks really good and the ending is pretty neat.

SandmanGStefani24
04-24-2008, 12:12 AM
well, I must admit I liked the old version better, but I do like the idea of incorporating different languages. the 2nd time I rode it I listened to it in Japanese since that's the language I'm learning right now...fun stuff! The overall essence of the ride is the same, and I still love it. Just not as much as the last version...