PDA

View Full Version : MNSSHP - Convince me

Marker
04-21-2008, 07:31 AM
So, tell me more about Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

Why do I want to spend the extra $$$ on it?

How are the crowds? I assume they limit the number of tickets sold. Is it more or less crowded than your typical evening EMH?

Is it still difficult finding a good spot for the parade or fireworks. i really don't want to spend an hour or more staking out a spot for the parade when I've paid extra for this time.

So, I'd love to hear all about it.
Thanks.

2Princesses4Us
04-21-2008, 09:18 AM
We're going for the first time in September. I am a little nervous about being able to get tickets on May 1st... there is only one party during our stay so we have to get them for that specific night.
Anyway, I have no experience with the party but after reading some posts here, I think that our kids, DD6, DD3, and DS 1, will really enjoy it. We are going to go to AK that morning... have breakfast there and enjoy the attractions that are approrpriate for our ages... shows, safari, parade... and then come back to the hotel for some rest/quiet time. Then we'll have some dinner and get dressed for the party. I think it will be neat to be there in the evening and to see all the costumes.
I too wondered about spending the extra money... especially since my summer job is paying for our ENTIRE trip! But, once you're down there, what's another $200? :) Honestly, I am VERY frugal, but this is why I added one more day to our trip (we're doing five instead of four). Once you've paid airfare and board, you might as well do what you want to do. We don't do big souveniors, everyone gets ONE thing, we don't do the BBBoutique, we don't go outside the parks, and we eat packed snacks aside from the meals. I felt that this could be the big splurge! (aside from the whole trip that is!)

Anyway, good luck with your decision. Whatever you do, it will be fun.
:mickey:

biodtl
04-21-2008, 09:22 AM
I know there are others who disagree, but in my experience, the crowds were much smaller than normal. We practically walked on everything, so that is a big draw right there.

Also, it's fun to dress up and trick or treat in MK and the special parade and fireworks are really great.

We love it and think it's worth every penny.

CleveSJM
04-21-2008, 09:41 AM
We went Oct 5 2006 and it was great. Small lines and they run the parade twice so it's not a problem at all. No problem for fireworks unless to want to stand by Mickey and Walt. You might need 1/2 hour for the prime spots but no problem getting right in front of the castle. Worth every penny for sure!

grumpyguy
04-21-2008, 10:30 AM
to me the sight of the headless horseman leading off the parade is worth the price by itself..:thumbsup:

Dyanna
04-21-2008, 10:38 AM
We went for the 1st time this past Oct. We loved it!! Thought it was well worth the money. There was DH, & DD & myself along with infant DD. We left the parks with 6 bags of candy. Walked around the park 2x collecting candy at the candy spots, watched the stage show 2x & also watched the parade & fireworks. The parade & fireworks in itself was worth the extra $$$. Never did we ride any of the rides during the event as we had done that during the day. We just took in the party festivities. Would definitely do it again in the future! The crowds to me were larger than I thought considering this is a limited ticket event but never did I find it overcrowded. Must try it at least once!

Lehman Family
04-21-2008, 11:08 AM
We went for the first time on our last visit in 06. We are planning on making most of our future trips around the time of this party...we loved it that much!

For the parade you probably should plan your seating ahead, but we showed up 5 minutes before it started and still got a good view (thought not right up front). When we went it seemed a little less crowded than a normal day with EMH. If you wanted to ride the rides it's best to do during the fireworks and parade for shorter lines.

It's worth it to try it just once to form your own opinion. We're definitely glad we did! :number1:

CaptainSad
04-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I went October of 2004. I forget if it was October 2nd or 3rd. But anyway I thought it was worth the money. Of course if it's Disney, money isn't a problem with me.

You ask if it is worth it? Yes...

Do they limit the number of tickets? Yes

Is it more crowded then EMH? Don't know I have never been to any of the EMH's since I usually stay off site. I would say it is more crowded then EMH's

Is it still difficult finding a good spot for the parade or fireworks?I don't go on Main Street for the Parades. I always go to Frontierland, less crowded. Better places to sit. Second parade is less crowded. I have always been able to find great spots for Hallowishes and Holiday Wishes for Christmas. It is 360 degrees at on point. The Boo Too You Halloween Parade is a must. Plus the Headless Horseman...

Let me point out one thing about MNSSHP or MVMCP. Because this is slow times at WDW, crowds for the party will be a little bit crowded compared to day and night during those days that do not have the parties. The lines are managable. Lines during and after the second parade are very short if that. That gives you two hours.

Of course there is always the Candy and Hot Apple Cider.

It's all about the Atmosphere. If you are going on the 31st then I wouldn't spend the money. But if you want the Atmosphere, it is plenty worth it.

Jeff G
04-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Positives:

* Awesome themeing, the mood of the park is one of a kind.
* Rides generally have short lines.
* The parade is one of the best I've seen with the headless horseman leading the way.
* The characters are dressed up and cool.
* Trick or Treating stations for the kids.
* Hallowishes is awesome with great music (you can see it from the Ploy beach with the msuic piped in).
* The Halloween dance party was fun for the kids.

Negatives:

* Crowds are hit and miss.
* I was there one year and the park was empty and the same day one year later they announced on the PA that they oversold. Lines just to get candy were 30 minutes, the rides were packed, character lines were all over an hour, the parade was eight deep.
* The cost.

My traveling party wants to do it this year and even with the positives I don't know if I can justify the cost and risk running into the mob we did the last trip. To be honest I've been to WDW in July and over Columbus day weekend and have seen the MK packed but the last MNSSHP was the busiest I ever experienced by a lot. The scariest thing is this was the last week of September. From what I've read there is no predictability of crowds and I've heard from others of massive crowds in September and early October one day and almost no crowds a few days later.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-21-2008, 12:35 PM
We went twice in September. The first night 9/14, which was a rain out due to the monsoon that hit. We traded in those tickets and went again on the 21st.
We were on the fence since there are 5 of us but, we are SO glad we decided to go for it.
The crowds both nights were very manageable. The parade was only offered once the first night and it was very quiet as a lot of people had left because of the rain. We didn't get to see the Headless Horseman since he did not ride due to the wet surfaces.
The second party was perfect. We watched both Boo To You parades since we loved it so much. We think it is the best parade we have seen in WDW. We loved Hallowishes. Again, the best. We were right in front of the Castle for both the first parade and Hallowishes and had no problem getting a seat right on the curb about twenty minutes before the Headless Horseman was due to come through.
The atmosphere in MK is so neat. Seeing all of the costumes was cool too.
The kids and my husband did a lot of the Trick or Treat lines. I am not a big candy fan. They got a ton of candy and had lots of fun doing it.
The free face painting was a nice touch. My boys did not want to dress up but, enjoyed getting their faces painted.
The lines for the rides were all short. We skipped them during the party and then hit Splash and BTMRR at 11pm where they let us stay on each as many times as we wanted to.
The kids enjoyed the dance parties and we liked the Villans Mix and Mingle in front of the Castle.

We are going in December this year and the kids are really bummed we are not going during the MNSSHP time.
I did the Xmas party this past December when I was there and did not think it was anywhere as good as the Halloween party. (Just my opinion of course;))
We ended up buying the CD that has the MNSSHP music on it when we got home. We still listen to it quiet often. The "Boo To You" song is quiet catchy.
I say go for it, just in case you couldn't tell. I think it is well worth it!:thumbsup:

CaptainSad
04-21-2008, 12:40 PM
We're going for the first time in September. I am a little nervous about being able to get tickets on May 1st... there is only one party during our stay so we have to get them for that specific night.
Anyway, I have no experience with the party but after reading some posts here, I think that our kids, DD6, DD3, and DS 1, will really enjoy it. We are going to go to AK that morning... have breakfast there and enjoy the attractions that are approrpriate for our ages... shows, safari, parade... and then come back to the hotel for some rest/quiet time. Then we'll have some dinner and get dressed for the party. I think it will be neat to be there in the evening and to see all the costumes.
I too wondered about spending the extra money... especially since my summer job is paying for our ENTIRE trip! But, once you're down there, what's another $200? :) Honestly, I am VERY frugal, but this is why I added one more day to our trip (we're doing five instead of four). Once you've paid airfare and board, you might as well do what you want to do. We don't do big souveniors, everyone gets ONE thing, we don't do the BBBoutique, we don't go outside the parks, and we eat packed snacks aside from the meals. I felt that this could be the big splurge! (aside from the whole trip that is!)

Anyway, good luck with your decision. Whatever you do, it will be fun.
:mickey:

I don't think you will have a problem getting tickets on May 1st. Just don't wait to long. Most of the parties sell out. But not that fast. If I can get MNSSHP tickets in June you should not have a problem. Unless you plan on going closer to Halloween.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-21-2008, 01:03 PM
We have done the party 3 times in the past. The 1st one seemed to be the best, maybe we just grew tired of it. We skipped it last year and did not seem to miss it. I would say if you have never done it, once is a must, the atmosphere is very fall/halloween like.

If it's in the budget try it. The parade is nice and in my experience if you want a good seat you do have to stake it out. You are going fairly early so crowds should be managable.

We are going this year a little later in september than usual (26th to 5th) and I am so shocked at how many MNNSHP there are! Every other night we are there the MK has one. Very irritating, when the MK is one of our favorite parks, especially at night. Seems almost like we are forced to buy an extra ticket just to get in the maximum Mk time.

aurora, ariel, and bell
04-21-2008, 02:25 PM
It sounds like alot of fun...never been. We are going Sept 2-12, which date would you suggest. Friday (the first one and same date as night of joy) was what we were thinking because it fits best with our dining, but we can re-arrange things if you think other dates are better?
:thumbsup:

DDuck66
04-21-2008, 04:14 PM
We have been the last 3 years and in MHO it is the best hard ticket event that WDW has. It seems that every year we go, there is something new or something we have never seen before. The photo ops that you cannot get at any othet time are a big plus for my DW and myself. The Villains Meet n Greet is really great. Well worth the extra money. The crowds have never been that bad, but I hear that the week of Halloween is pretty full. We are going on Oct 3 this year.

cookiew
04-21-2008, 04:22 PM
We have scrimped and saved and we are finally going to Disney. My children are 10,8 and 5. I was planning to take the kids to MNSSHP on Halloween...I don't want it to be so crowded it's not fun. We will be there Oct 27-Nov 4th - should we plan on going a different day other than Halloween?:confused:

joonyer
04-21-2008, 04:55 PM
To me, the special fireworks (Hallowishes) and parade and special atmosphere make MK even more magical than it normally is. And who doesn't need all the magic they can get? IMO, it's absolutely worth it the extra cost. We went twice in '06 (2nd week of Oct) and had a great time both nites. Practically no wait for most attractions. Even POC only took us about 20 minutes. We walked on Space and Splash Mtns. We heading back this Oct.
My advice about crowds. Don't wait until close to Halloween, as they get bigger the closer to Oct. 31 you get, and go on a weeknight. You'll have a great time. :mpumpkin: :ghost: :blackcat: :pumpkin: :bat:

CaptainSad
04-21-2008, 08:11 PM
We have scrimped and saved and we are finally going to Disney. My children are 10,8 and 5. I was planning to take the kids to MNSSHP on Halloween...I don't want it to be so crowded it's not fun. We will be there Oct 27-Nov 4th - should we plan on going a different day other than Halloween?:confused:

I would pick one of the other days if possible. It will be way to crowded Halloween.

awaggett
04-21-2008, 10:32 PM
My sister and I went last year on September 21st. We are in our 30's and were there for a girl's weekend. The party was the highlight! We went along with the fun and dressed up like pirates; we didn't do many of the candy lines; rode all the rides we wanted with little to no wait. Hallowishes was amazing--best fireworks I think Disney has. I'm not usually a parade person, but this one blew me away.

When we have gone during Christmas we don't normally do the party as we don't think it is worth it, we would definitely do the Halloween party again.

indytraveler
04-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Went for the first time last October 2007. It was week before Halloween. Lots of Northern schools have a Fall Break. So it could be hit or miss. we stayed on property so we had EMH as well. Day of our party we didn't get to park until 4:00. That's the earliest, I was told, you can show up just for the MNSSHP. The park that day was not crowded and we rode all of our favorites before the actual party began.

I agree with everyone who said the parade is a must. The headless horseman is cool and the grave diggers...

Finding a spot for the parade was not that bad. The crowd size for the event was manageable but knew people who went earlier in October and had the run of the place. If you're going in September I hear its a good time to avoid the crowds.

To make it worth it, $ wise. We didn't use one of our tickets that day and just used a 4:00 till 11:00 7 hr day.

Like any advice, try it once and see how you like it. If we could do it again we would in a heartbeat.

Good Luck.

illini
04-22-2008, 12:17 PM
We went back in 2003 and thought it was fantastic. Very low crowds-- we rode Space and Buzz over and over with no lines at all. No problems with getting a spot for the parade. The later parade is easier and if you don't want to sit around, go to that one.
Disney definitely knows how to put on a show as we all know. It's well worth the $$, IMO.