PDA

View Full Version : Any aquarists/marine mammal trainers out there?

Dulcee
04-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi All

So I'm looking for some advice. Call it a childhood dream but I've always wanted to be a dolphin :dolphin:trainer. Now I know a lot of little girls will go through that stage at some point but I've held on to that dream for a real long time.

I'm currently a college junior majoring in biology with a minor in neuropsychology. I've spent the last two summers (and this upcoming one!) working in a small aquarium in Jersey. The penguins :penguin: and seals I get to work with are awesome but not quite the route I want to go.

With graduation just a year away I've been slowly becoming frazzled :confused: with the idea of deciding on going to graduate school, picking up a serious short term internship or just throwing myself into the work force and hoping for the best. I've tried talking to professors and advisors here at school unfortuantly the career route I want to go isn't real well known by the average person. :help: I'm curious if anyone out there is currently a senior aquarist or is working with large marine mammals now who'd be interested in pointing out the right direction for me.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks all!

BronxTigger
04-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Could you call SeaWorld and ask for advice? Or email a SeaWorld trainer or something? I think there is a similar place in California called Catalina Island or something.

Or, you could look up some colleges that have marine biology programs and call/write their career departments or professors for advice.

Sorry I can't help you more. :shrug:

MsMin
04-21-2008, 09:36 AM
If you still have a couple of semesters and some electives I would suggest you try some behavioral classes rather than extra neuro. Many psyc programs include Animal behavior as well as human behavior which is very similar.
Most universities have contacts for internships so check with your placement office.
Have you searched online? Flipper's sea school used to be on Marathon Key but I heard it moved to Key West. They used to train the animals for places like Sea World or the National Aquarium (I know they have trained animals in Baltimore at the Aquarium there).
Start looking for graduate programs and find one that will develop your skills to fit your dream job-- don't try to make a local program fit your needs. Good Luck!

Dulcee
04-21-2008, 11:47 AM
I just found the site for Flipper's Sea School, actually called the Center for Dolphin Research...thanks for the tip! I'm going to send out a couple of emails to some researchers that are linked there.

As for the courses, my bio major is heavily concentrated on zoology, things like comparative animal physiology, animal behavior and vertebrate zoology. Unfortuantly at my college (Gettysburg College) you can't minor in psychology but I have taken many psych courses and I'm taking an advanced lab in behavioral neuroscience next semester as a precursor to my own private research that I'll be conducting during my last semester next year.

MsMin
04-21-2008, 12:34 PM
I knew they closed the old "Flipper's Sea School" glad you found something. Sounds like you are on track.... Keep us posted...:thumbsup:

murphy1
04-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I'd like to recommend talking to the wonderful people at Clearwater Marine Aquarium. It's right near Clearwater Beach off Hwy 60 in Pinellas County Fl. They always have many large marine animals. Last time I took my kids there, we got to see Winter, a cute little dolphin who was missing her tail and they were making her a prosthetic one. They also educate the public, have tours and take people out in boats to see more sea life. The are always hiring interns, and experience is going to be your best bet right now. I like Sea World, but to me CMA is the real deal and does a lot for injured animals and the public. You can find them at CMAquarium on the internet. Even if you didn't work for them, I'm sure someone would definitely help you with your questions.