PDA

View Full Version : advice from people who live in orlando

Tiggerlovr9000
04-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Am looking for a restaurant with reasonably priced and delicious fresh seafood that is not a chain. Where do the locals go??

Ed
04-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Haven't really found a non-chain seafood place that meets my Maryland-bred standards. Closest has been a chain, Shells. Pretty decent, but somewhat mass-produced. My REAL favorites are about 80 miles away, in Sebastian, FL - - Captain Hiram's and SquidLips!

:eat:

Melanie
04-20-2008, 07:13 PM
SquidLips!

Sorry, I'm not a local (so no advice), but what a great name! :funny:

Ed
04-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Sorry, I'm not a local (so no advice), but what a great name! :funny:

That's what attracted me to the place (http://www.squidlipsgrill.com). :D

I just HAD to buy one of their T-shirts. And they recently opened a second one in Melbourne; ate lunch there Thursday, in fact. Terrific grouper sandwich. :thumbsup:

Stan
04-20-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm not from Maryland so I have no reference. However...

1) I enjoy Red Lobster, but of course they're everywhere. DS28 works for Darden & I hear good things about QC in all their restaurants. Since Darden HQ is here, all their local outlets have to be on their toes- they never know who they're serving. :D

2) I've enjoyed Shells too- I need to go back since it's been a while.

3) It's hard to go wrong with Fish Bones on Sand Lake near I-Drive, same owners as Charlie's Steakhouse (so typically same steaks and seafood available both places). Be prepared to spend some $.

4) I really really like Aunt Catfish (http://www.auntcatfishontheriver.com/), but that's on the east coast, perhaps not worth a special trip but if you go to the beach be sure to check them out.

Gee whiz, I don't know which is making me hungrier- this or my ice cream poll. :confused:

Tiggerlovr9000
04-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm not from Maryland so I have no reference. However...

1) I enjoy Red Lobster, but of course they're everywhere. DS28 works for Darden & I hear good things about QC in all their restaurants. Since Darden HQ is here, all their local outlets have to be on their toes- they never know who they're serving. :D

2) I've enjoyed Shells too- I need to go back since it's been a while.

3) It's hard to go wrong with Fish Bones on Sand Lake near I-Drive, same owners as Charlie's Steakhouse (so typically same steaks and seafood available both places). Be prepared to spend some $.

4) I really really like Aunt Catfish (http://www.auntcatfishontheriver.com/), but that's on the east coast, perhaps not worth a special trip but if you go to the beach be sure to check them out.

Gee whiz, I don't know which is making me hungrier- this or my ice cream poll. :confused:
How far is it to Aunt Catfish from orlando. Their website makes this place look great.?

Stan
04-20-2008, 11:07 PM
It's about 70 miles away, thru town and east on I-4 then south a bit on I95- 1.25 to 2 hr depending on how things go for you. I do enjoy the place, but I wouldn't drive over there just for that. And I'm not sure I'd trade 3 hr of prime Disney touring time to go there either.

However, there are plenty of other things to see over that way (like the Atlantic Ocean) so you could take a half day to sightsee and end up with dinner at Aunt Catfish. Sometimes there's quite a line- I don't recall whether they accept reservations.

Hope you enjoy your visit whatever you choose to do! ;)

mktiggerman
04-21-2008, 12:16 AM
When I lived in Orlando, my favorite seafood was Fish Bones on International Drive. Also, while not a Seafood place, Seasons 52 has had a few good seafood dishes pass through their menu from time to time (menu changes weekly)

murphy1
04-23-2008, 10:08 AM
There's a place called Angels that has good seafood. I also know these two guys from my hometown (St. Petersburg) that started a restaurant business alled Bonefish Grill it's all over, but originally from St. Pete, they do have a location in Orlando. Funny, I emailed them and told them to open one where I live in GA now and they did last year, right near my house! It's a great place, more refined style seafood.