PDA

View Full Version : Birthday trip with only the birthday boy and no one else???

princessjojo
04-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Ok, so we have 2 DS Gray 12 and Colbey 10, and they are almost exactly 2 years apart in age. They are very close to one another, even to the point that the Colbey doesn’t have to work at making friends because all of Gray’s friends take Colbey under their wing and in a sense adopt him as one of their own. Lately, we’ve tried to plan activities where they have to do things independently so they can learn to develop their own identities, their own likes and dislikes, and their own social group. I hate for Colbey to grow up too early and start doing things he shouldn’t do too early, things Gray is beginning to do with his friends such as talking to girls, going to movies, and going places without Colbey. I guess I’m trying to foster a sense of independence for Colbey.

This same issue comes up every year when planning their birthday parties. They usually have many of the same friends coming so we often plan one big party. Well this year is Gray’s 13th birthday and he wants to have a boy/girl dance/pool party. But Colbey isn’t, I don’t think, age appropriate for that since he’ll be turning 11 but would only have about 4 kids at a party for him.

So here’s my thought and where I’m looking for your input. Colbey loves Disney. I’ve been thinking of taking him back for his birthday, just him and me leaving Gray and DH at home. It wouldn’t be too terribly bad since I do have enough points left for a studio and it would only be for 4-5 days and we can get annual passes in June when we go. It would just be our airfare and food.

Has anyone intentionally planned a trip leaving one or part of the kids at home such as what I’m thinking of doing? I kinda feel guilty about doing it, but it would give him some special time together making him feel important individually. Let me know if this is as bad of an idea as I feel like it may be at this time.

Thanks!!!!

pink
04-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I think taking your younger son to Disney for his birthday sounds like a great idea. You seem to be worried that your younger son hanging out with your older son may be causing him to grow up too fast and Disney is the perfect place to be a kid again! The only problem that I can think of is will you older son get upset that only you and your younger DS are going to Disney? If he doesn't care then you should consider it. :mickey: