PDA

View Full Version : Which Park on NYE?

MPoppins
04-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Hi all... We have always visited the World during Thanksgiving break but this upcoming season we may visit during the time in between Christmas and the New Year. Any suggestions as to which park to visit on NYE and what we might expect with crowds and events? Thanks.:thanks:

AwPhooey
04-20-2008, 01:31 AM
We chose Epcot when we were there for New Year's Eve a few years ago.

There was a decent amount of room/space during the day, but as the afternoon turned to evening, it got very crowded!

DizneyRox
04-20-2008, 05:08 AM
Epcot without question. Epcot holds crowds better than any other park. It will be crowded, but MK and MGM will be unbearable.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-20-2008, 05:19 AM
I would also suggest either Epcot or DHS because unless you want to spend all day at MK (meaning, starting at 7am until midnight), I think you would have more room and tolerence at one of the other. MK typically closes by 10am on NYE and will not allow any additional Guests to enter for the remainder of the day.

MK does display their NYE fireworks 3 nights - the 29th, 30th, and 31st usually around 11:45pm. So if you opt to avoid MK on NYE, you can still see them by visiting one of the other nights (and it usually dies down a good bit by the time they start on the other nights).

Goofeygal
04-20-2008, 08:08 AM
The couple times we have been there on New Years we have done DHS. It gets very very very crowded. DHS has a big stage set up with bands and they give out the hats and noise makers it is a blast.

CanadianWDWFan
04-20-2008, 10:14 AM
You do know that the week between Christmas and NYE is the busiest time to visit WDW? I hope you do, because anytime we have been there at that time it is shoulder to shoulder in the parks.

NYE 2006 we arrived at the resort only to find that MK was closed to any guests at 11AM!!!! So off we went to MGM, well while we got in, it sure was packed. I agree with Epcot being your choice of parks.

elmjimmlm
04-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Is MK the only park "shoulder to shoulder" or are they all like that? Where are the fireworks done in HS?

MPoppins
04-20-2008, 10:57 AM
You do know that the week between Christmas and NYE is the busiest time to visit WDW? I hope you do, because anytime we have been there at that time it is shoulder to shoulder in the parks.

I do, indeed, but being a teacher doesn't allow me much wiggle room in planning my vacations. My 40+ trips have all followed my school system's calendar. We go with the flow! :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
04-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Is MK the only park "shoulder to shoulder" or are they all like that? Where are the fireworks done in HS?
MGM is also really, really bad. We did it once, since they do have a special fireworks display only a few times during the year, NYE being one of them, HOWEVER, the best spot(s) to watch it are all right in front of the hat. Thet street is barely able to accomodate normal guest traffic in my opinion, when you get EVERYONE in the park there, it's just bad. Saw a few fights break out, people trying to push their way through the crowd wielding strollers, etc. It was not a fun time by any stretch of the imagination.

Honestly, I would brave MK before I do MGM again on a major holiday.

Jeff
04-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Epcot without question. Epcot holds crowds better than any other park. It will be crowded, but MK and MGM will be unbearable.

I agree with this. My family has been on NYE many times. We have done MGM, MK and Epcot. After trying MGM and MK once each we have stayed in Epcot ever since. Lot's of fun and much easier to enjoy yourself and move around.

Pirate Granny
04-20-2008, 10:02 PM
We've been to both MK and EPCOT...and IMO EPCOT was much more crowded...they were sitting on blankets in the walkway/road around the lake from 6pm on...at 8pm when we got out of dinner, we couldn't move and that road/walkway is 15 feet wide at least...it was a push shove...MK may have been crowded, but because there is no alcohol and more younger families it didn't seem as packed and as congested as EPCOT...this year we left before NYE...but we did catch the MK fireworks a few nights before as the prior poster mentioned.

Just be prepared for LARGE CROWDS and I mean LARGE...and yes, we did get to MK before 9am...and I waited 60 minutes in line to get a locker...EPCOT we got there at noon.

Have a wonderful time.
:pirate: