PDA

View Full Version : Former Major-League Catcher Marzano Dead at 45

Ian
04-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - John Marzano, a former United States Olympian and major-league catcher, has died at the age of 45.

According to Comcastsportsnet.com, Marzano was found dead late Saturday afternoon in his Philadelphia home. It is unclear whether his passing was as a result of a fall in his home or from a heart attack.

Marzano enjoyed a 10-year career with the Red Sox, Rangers, and Mariners from 1987 to 1998. Primarily as a backup, he was a lifetime .241 hitter with 11 homers and 72 runs batted in over 301 career games.

The Philadelphia native played collegiately at Temple University, and was a member of the silver-medal winning squad at the 1984 Summer Games in Los Angeles.
Prior to Saturday evening's game at Fenway Park, the Red Sox observed a moment of silence in Marzano's honor.Johnny "Marz" was very well known in Philly as he had become a bit of a sports talk celebrity. He did time on our local Comcast SportsNet and also on our sports talk radio station, WIP.

Very sad ........ he always seemed like a great guy .......

PirateLover
04-19-2008, 10:40 PM
This is so shocking. When I flicked to Sportsnet for Flyers Post Game and they led off with this I let out an audible gasp. I loved Johnny Marz. He was on Daily News Live on Thursday before the Flyers game, getting pumped up with the fans, just having a good time. He always seemed like a positive, happy, healthy family man. He will surely be missed. :(

Hammer
04-20-2008, 01:08 AM
I know I was shocked when I heard this news. I would listen to him on MLB radio, which is where he went after WIP. From what I read, he was divorced, but has two teenage daughters, one of which I think is in college.

Very sad...:(