PDA

View Full Version : re charging oxygen? tips for lung problems?

thejens
04-19-2008, 08:06 PM
My mom will be bringing a portable oxygen concentrator that needs to be charged every 3 hours. Has anyone done this? I am thinking maybe we could charge it whenever we are in a show or restaurant? Or are there any special areas? Should I ask for a GAC to assure we can do this? My Mom is also going to try to keep out of the humidity as much as possible due to lung problem. She can stand and wait, but may need to be inside. We normally use fastpass and don't try to wait outside too long anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions re. spending more time indoors? We are already planning a lot of restaurant breaks (Deluxe Dining, woo hoo!) and afternoon breaks etc. Thanks for any info.

MsMin
04-22-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm going to bump this back up so maybe someone else will see it.
I've never traveled with oxygen but I do the the GAC is irrelevant to your needs. I'm not sure if they will give you a pass b/c it may be obvious that you need help, that's what they did with my dad and we didn't have any problems.
About charging, have you asked at the dining # if you can recharge when dining? My biggest concern would be that it's not good for a battery to be 1/2 charged several times a day. How long does it take to charge it? Also remember that there is the 1st aid center and I'm sure you could leave one there for charging if need be.
About the humidity?? it depends on the time of year. If you go in the summer months than the steam that comes off the pavement with the heat in an afternoon shower can give my dd a bad time. She also struggles with the weather changing from hot to cold in the winter months, most often in November and December on those foggy, balmy days it's hard to breath. She went into respiratory distress in Dec 06. When you combine the moisture (which we are very used to high humidity near the gulf coast) but the perfumes and scents in some the the shops in EPCOT did her in. AC always helps her breathe a little easier and even in winter there are many places that have the AC running.

kakn7294
04-23-2008, 12:20 PM
I am not familiar with Disney's policy on recharging medical equipment, but I was wondering this - is it possible for you to rent an oxygen concentrator that has a longer lasting battery so you don't have to charge as often? I know Respironics makes one with an 8 hr battery and there are health care supply companies within the Orlando area that will rent a large variety of necessary medical equipment, even delivering it directly to your resort.