PDA

View Full Version : Coral Reef reviews please

QueenDisneyBound
04-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi all, we are going to Disney in September and have the free dining plan. I made all my TS reservations, and made sure that Coral Reef was one of the places we reserved (it just looks so beautiful)...could I get some reviews about the food and the atmosphere? After I made the ressies, I read a review that wasn't very positive about the food.

Thanks and look forward to your input!!:mickey:

Claudielou
04-19-2008, 04:40 PM
We ate there last year on DDP. At that time it included the appetizer. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. Not really big servings, but all we could eat!:) When you check in for your reservation, ask to be seated next to the aquarium. We were on the level the farthest away. We could still see it, but it would be really cool to be right next to it. We are going back in September and will ask to be seated there. Have a great trip!:party:

reeders4
04-19-2008, 06:50 PM
We ate there last year and we had a great time. I would request a table next to the windows as we were able to see the turtles swimming by us and the fish. I also read some bad reviews but the experience of eating there was great and my childern had a nice time and enjoyed themselves. Overall I would eat there again.

E-OR
04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
We ate at the coral reef our last trip and liked the food a lot. I had the steak, which was great, and my husband had the Mahi Mahi. He was happy with his as well. We were stuffed when we walked out of there. Our table was by the fish tank which was really cool. The only thing that we were not happy with was our server. He could not have been any ruder. We were on the meal program and always left the server a little something in addition to the gratuity on the meal program but this guy got nothing extra from us. We plan to eat there again our next trip too, we are hoping for better service though.

KH
04-19-2008, 07:48 PM
We eat there on every trip. Get a table at the aquarium, as the other posters have written. Have the creamy lobster soup- it's to die for, and the Chocolate Wave - a delicious dessert. Have a great time! :chef:

QueenDisneyBound
04-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks for your responses...makes me think I made a good choice. I will definitely ask for a table next to the view! Thanks again! I appreciate the good words...:thumbsup:

Natazu
04-19-2008, 09:24 PM
I certainly recommend the food... and the restaurant is beautiful. The only real gripe I have is the noise level. Coral Reef was designed as a quiet, gourmet seafood bistro that happened to be inside a 5.7 million gallon aquarium. Since the dining plan changed CR to 1 table service credit, more families and big groups have begun to patronize the restaurant elevating the noise level to an alarming level.

Jeff G
04-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=129089) is a link to a poll that was recently done on the Coral Reef. It gives many different views.

GrmGrninGost
04-19-2008, 10:59 PM
I have to say that on our last two vacations, the best meal we had on both was at the Coral Reef! It is without a doubt one of my three favorite restaurants at WDW! :mickey:

QueenDisneyBound
04-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks everyone! After reading the reviews, I'll have to say that we will give it a try and give it the benefit of the doubt, go with an expectation of an average experience, and go from there. Regardless of some mixed reviews, I just can't wait to go! Thanks again!:)

dolphinmickey9170
04-20-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm a bit nervous as we are trying this for the first time and, don't laugh, none of us eat seafood. We are a bunch of landlubbers. So, we'll be trying the steaks!!

cal5755
04-20-2008, 01:52 PM
My mom and I tried CR last November and we loved it. We can't wait til September to take the kids. Definately ask for a table by the tanks. I know with our party of 12 we wont be near the tanks but still can't wait to go!! I am sure you will enjoy your meal there. The food was great!!

Also it stinks that E-OR had bad service. Our waiters name was Alejandro and he was excellent. Gave us lots of attention and made recommendations. We took a picture with him before dessert came :mickey: and left him way more than any other waitstaff person in WDW that weekend (despite being on ddp).

disney100%
04-20-2008, 08:29 PM
We are going to Coral Reef in October with our three little ones (will be ages 3 1/2, 2, and 10 months when we go) for lunch. After reading the reviews here I am pretty excited. I think the kids will love it, if for nothing else but to watch the sea life! Only 181 more days to go - ADRs tomorrow!

QueenDisneyBound
04-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Have fun planning Disney 100%! To me that's half the fun...I get addicted to the Intercot boards, and love to look at pics before going!

Thanks again everyone!:chef:

TheMartellFamily
04-21-2008, 09:20 AM
We are going to try this place the first time in Aug. We are super excited to do this and the menu sounds good to. The things with our group we have those who do not like seafood or fish or there is something for everyone. We can not wait.

brownie
04-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm a bit nervous as we are trying this for the first time and, don't laugh, none of us eat seafood. We are a bunch of landlubbers. So, we'll be trying the steaks!!

I was in the same boat! We ate here several years ago, and while my wife enjoys seafood, I do not. Luckily, they did have choices other than seafood.

We enjoyed our meal at the Coral Reef, and I was interesting eating along side the aquarium.

elmjimmlm
04-22-2008, 10:13 AM
We plan on going this year...Who knows, this may be the best meal that you have ever had...:thumbsup:

joonyer
04-22-2008, 10:23 AM
We are thinking about eating at Coral Reef when we go back to WDW this October. I think my boys (ages 15 &12) would really enjoy the atmosphere, and while my wife and I would enjoy the food, I didn't see much on the menu posted on here at info central that I think my sons would want to order (they are too old and eat too much for kids meals), but my DW & I would really like to try it. Can anyone tell me if the menu posted at info central is up to date?

Off to Never Land
04-22-2008, 10:23 AM
I certainly recommend the food... and the restaurant is beautiful. The only real gripe I have is the noise level. Coral Reef was designed as a quiet, gourmet seafood bistro that happened to be inside a 5.7 million gallon aquarium. Since the dining plan changed CR to 1 table service credit, more families and big groups have begun to patronize the restaurant elevating the noise level to an alarming level.

I definitely agree with Jym's review. I have been to the Coral Reef twice...once before the dining plan and once after. The experience before the dining plan was completely different compared to my recent visit. It was quiet and peaceful the first time but definitely chaotic the second time around. If you have kids, you will be set. If you are looking for a quiet relaxing meal, probably not going to happen.
I am still craving the Chocolate Wave...it is AMAZING!

Mickey91
04-22-2008, 11:08 AM
We love the Coral Reef! The fish are fun to watch, the food is excellent and the service is good. A great choice!:mickey:

Gator
04-23-2008, 04:38 PM
This is great info. I was thinking about never going there, but maybe I'll try it.