PDA

View Full Version : First night?

Mrs Bus Driver
04-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Where should we eat the first night? I figure by the time we get in from the airport and settled it will be 4 or 5 pm. I was thinking a nice dinner and then maybe spend the evening at MK. We will be using ddp. DD 21 has made it clear no character meals. I wouldn't mind going to a resort for a nice meal any suggestions? :mickey:

faline
04-19-2008, 04:12 PM
If you're going to the Magic Kingdom that evening some possibilities that come to mind are :

California Grill
O'Hana
Kona Cafe
Grand Floridian Cafe
Tony's
Plaza Restaurant

None of these locations will have characters.

McGoofy
04-19-2008, 04:19 PM
What about an ADR for Ohanas? It only has characters at breakfast, not dinner. That's just a quick monorail ride away from the MK. I love the theming at the Polynesian Resort! If you like tropical drinks and since DD is 21, the Tambu Lounge is right there, and they have the best tropical drinks anywhere on property. Now that's a fun way to start a vacation! (lapu lapu!!):lei::papple:

KineGirl
04-19-2008, 04:20 PM
You could maybe try the new restaurant, The Wave, at CR. Their unofficial menu sounds really good - everything from tenderloin to cod. Or what about Tonys right in the front of MK? If you get ressies for about 6;30-7. You could eat and then walk right into the park never missing a beat or backtracking. I used to not be such a big fan of Tonys but the new chefs/menu is really very good. We ate their last year and thought it blew Mama Melrose out of the water (which we always thought was better)

#1donaldfan
04-19-2008, 05:32 PM
I'd try the Wave at the CR, O'hana's at Poly....they're just a minute or two away from MK......?????:thumbsup:

AwPhooey
04-19-2008, 05:50 PM
If you're not dead set on going to a park, there are some great restaurants at Boardwalk.

I've been to Spoodles and enjoyed the food, but I'm really looking forward to Flying Fish Cafe in October!

Brainiak5
04-19-2008, 08:24 PM
I'd vote for o'hana with a nice cup of kona coffee after dinner with a leisurely monorail ride back to mk. I like to keep it slow the 1st night and hit the ground running on day 2. have fun:mickey:

Disneyfun
04-20-2008, 12:29 AM
DW and I have had our first meal at Concourse Steak House at the Contemporary Resort a few times. We really enjoyed the food and I loved watching the monorails go zipping by!

Kairi_7378
04-20-2008, 11:13 AM
On our last trip we started off with a meal at Artist's Point. We then took the boat over to the MK for EMH's. It was a quiet and sophisticated "first meal" of the trip. We love CA Grill but save that for our last night. Kona Cafe may also work for you and your family and it is only a quick monorail ride away!

Duchess99
04-20-2008, 12:16 PM
You could maybe try the new restaurant, The Wave, at CR. Their unofficial menu sounds really good - everything from tenderloin to cod.

Where can I find the unofficial menu?

I would do 'Ohana for your first night...it will be a lot of fun!

dolphinmickey9170
04-20-2008, 01:18 PM
I must agree for O'Hana - this is what they have for dinner and it isn't with characters (That's brkfst only)

Starters

'Ohana Welcome Bread
Mixed greens with a honey-lime dressing

Appetizers/Accompaniments
Pork Dumplings in Sweet n Sour Sauce
Honey-coriander chicken wings
Maui Scalloped Potatoes
Stir-fried vegetables

Sauces
Peanut Sauce
Chimichurri Sauce
Sweet and Sour Sauce

Skewers
Prepared over an oak fire
Asian Barbecue Pork Loin

Spicy Grilled Peel - n - Eat Shrimp
Marinated Sirloin Steak
Mesquite Grilled Turkey

Dessert
'Ohana bread pudding a la mode with Bananas Foster Sauce

The food and the service is phenominal!! Hope you have a great time.

garymacd
04-20-2008, 01:35 PM
If you aren't set on going to the parks that first night, you should have received a coupon in your welcome package for Planet Hollywood at DtD. You could go there and then explore DtD or Pleasure Island for the night, then get a good start on the parks the next day.

There aren't any characters there. Well, there aren't any Disney Characters there, but there are plenty of characters there, if you get my meaning. :cool:

JerseyDad
04-21-2008, 09:41 AM
If you aren't set on going to the parks that first night, you should have received a coupon in your welcome package for Planet Hollywood at DtD. You could go there and then explore DtD or Pleasure Island for the night, then get a good start on the parks the next day.

There aren't any characters there. Well, there aren't any Disney Characters there, but there are plenty of characters there, if you get my meaning. :cool:

....very good suggestion...I whole-heartedly agree!! ;)

.....since we always head to DtD the first night for dinner at Planet Hollywood. We get to WDW and into the resort (POP) usually by noon or 1pm...and it's too late in the day to unpack...get settled...and hit one of the parks...so...DtD is our destination that first night. Besides Planet Hollywood...there are several other good restaurants there...and we've also eaten at Fulton's (food was really good...but a little on the pricey side).

....after dinner....it's off to do shopping and get dessert at Ghirardelli! :D